Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interests outside of model cars?

Very good topic!

My main interest (that led me back to model cars) is slalom water skiing, wakeboarding, and all things watersports. I severed the ACL and PCL in my left knee and here I am, with 6-8 months before I can do anything athletic.

I love spending time on my boat, whether it's cruising the lake, anchored with a book, sand bar with friends, or drivog for skiers/boarders. I also enjoy teaching newbies how to ride. In the summer I'm on my boat every day after work.

We (my future wife, Laura) also just bought a new home and spend a fair amount of time on projects - I've found I'm very handy.

Aside from that I love car shows, meets, and cruises.

Edited by ian ashton

I build and fly R/C planes (since 1972), ride motorcycles - have a 2001 Kawasaki Concours and a 1962 Honda 50, play trumpet in a community band, sing in a church choir, and occasionally write some music for the choir. I'm a Penn State grad, and I work there part time, so I follow Joe Paterno and Nittany Lions football this time of year. My wife and I do a little camping in a teardrop trailer I built. Too many interests - working gets in the way!

Sam

I also play with real cars, and as an extension of that I also found that I enjoy track days. I drive a modded Solstice and took it to the track a few months ago and enjoyed the heck out of it, unfortunately I am in BFE, La and they have nothing here...except very crappy roads. ;)

I also play with real cars, and as an extension of that I also found that I enjoy track days. I drive a modded Solstice and took it to the track a few months ago and enjoyed the heck out of it, unfortunately I am in BFE, La and they have nothing here...except very crappy roads. ;)

I also have a Solstice that I autocross occasionally. Unfortunately I haven't driven it since July, can't push the clutch :lol:

I also have a Solstice that I autocross occasionally. Unfortunately I haven't driven it since July, can't push the clutch ;)

Is it a mechanical or biological problem? Mechanical, it's only money ;) , biological, That sucks, hope things get better. Driving these cars is therapeutic :D

I love to do the following when I'm not building either plastic or cardstock models, along with my wife we both sports pistol shoot (that is Olympic type) we also hunt feral animals as part of a feral control organisation here in Australia, both of us love fishing (both catch & release plus catch & keep (for food)) and we also do a bit of camping as part of our outdoor activities. I use to be in Scouts Australia, South Australia Branch BUT they kicked me out as they don't really like their leaders mixed up with shooting animals like we do ( Isay tough luck to them) but I don't really care now as I'm too busy doing the things I like.

Dingo :rolleyes:

By the way, yes it's my real name I was named Dingo by my Father who thought at the time I was born I looked like a scrorny little dingo pup.

Shoalin Wahnam Kung Fu and Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung.

Can I get an order of steamed rice with that, too, please? B) In all seriousness, what is that?

Outside of model-building and model railroading, I enjoy real cars and trains, reading, cooking, listening to music (I can't play anything, though, and you don't want me to sing,) photography, draftsman work and drawing, architecture, woodworking, history and photography. I also like to travel a little when I can. I'm also very active in the Masons and do a bit with De Molay and Rainbow, two organizations for teenagers and young adults that Masonry sponsors. I'd like to learn how to paint sometime, too, I dated a girl that was an art major in college and I loved watching her paint, it was amazing.

Right now, though, a lot of my time is spent as a full-time student at Massachusetts Bay Community College in Wellesley, Ma., as I retrain to become a paralegal after eight years of attempting to make a meaningful career of teaching.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

When I am not building models, working, eating or sleeping, I love playing golf (currently a 3 handicap), reading....I enjoy a good thriller, but I have a nasty habit of jumping ahead and reading the last few pages prematurely, I really need to control that. Also I enjoy financial and political books.

I also enjoy "fine art" oil painting and pen and ink drawing. I have taken numerous awards in regional competitions. Currently on my easel is a portrait of my daughter and her husband on their wedding day....I really need to finish it soon.

On nice days (today being one of them) I enjoy taking out one of our two MG's (a B and an A) for a spin. Now that the trees a turning, it is a great ride with the top down.

I know my way around the kitchen and cooking and creating new recipes. And lastly, in case I didn't mention it before...I love golfing, I should be out there today but can't, oh well.

I was looking for a picture of my drums and one thing I should share that has become a new passion of mine is photography. I have been playing around with my camera which is ok but not the best. Here are a small handful of pics I like. It was pouring hard when I took the first set of Train pics. Last pic is my drums.

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04496.jpg

DSC04583.jpg

DSC04594.jpg

DSC03404.jpg

DSC03385.jpg

0120101251.jpg

Let's see... I guess besides models, I'm mostly into 1:1 cars, but don't have the time or money to do much hardcore work on them, so I tinker with my '91 Mustang, drag race it sometimes, cruise it to local shows, or just take it out when the weather is nice, like my girlfriend and I have been doing this weekend. I have a Chevelle in the garage I can't find time or motivation to fix up. I enjoy outdoor stuff, including camping, hiking, the occasional canoe trip, and have recently gotten pretty heavy into field herping (studying reptiles and amphibians). Photography plays into all of these things too. I also enjoy live music, and (used to) know how to play guitar, but I don't play often at all anymore. When I've got time to kill, I enjoy playing XBox, usually Forza Motorsport 3.

I have a number of things I do "off-duty"....

Working in my shop we call "Manland". 2 years ago I built a 24 X 48 two story garage shop. At any particular time in the garage level, I always have one or two projects going on. Right now I have a 70 VW convertible my son and I are restoring, a utility body we are fixing up for my local fire department's 77 Dodge pickup rescue vehicle, a 1986 Honda CR250 I'm restoring for myself (the orange-red one)and my son's 1993 Honda CR250 that we just finished restoring. Soon his 97 Harley Davidson softail Custom will be stripped down to the bare frame so we can paint the entire frame to match the tins' custom HOK paint we gave it over last winter.

Here's 3 shots of the garage on the ground level...Disregard the dates on the photos...they're incorrect.

Garage251-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Garage253-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Garage254-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Then there's my woodworking hobby. The second floor of manland is my woodworking shop. It's pretty much equipped now that I can build just about anything.

Here's part of the woodworking shop....Sorry about the mess, but I'm almost done building an outdoor message center for the cemetary of my church. father has a large map of who is buried where and he wanted a weather proof message center he could post it in for visitors to see. But the store bought ones were $700- $800 and up. I'm building this one mostly out of scraps I had lying around. The white box on the table saw is the mesage board itself while the thing on the workbench is the roof.

Garage262-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Garage259-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I also love to spend as much time as possible in the wind on my 2003 harley Davidson CVO Deuce Screamin' Eagle....

100_2771r-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Can I get an order of steamed rice with that, too, please? :lol: In all seriousness, what is that?

Shaolin Kung Fu and Chi Kung is martial arts.

Meanwhile, when I'm not modelling I'd watch whatever little hockey games they show on TV, and play Wii with my wife. I am also eagerly waiting for GT5 to come out.

Well, photography, playing the guitar, writing songs (latest ones- Nature Abhors A Vacuum and Do Me In My Straitjacket), GT4 (and GT5 will be out in a few weeks (yeah!!!), The Good Guys and Fringe, Nascar and Formula 1, reading and of course, my college studies (I'm actually less stupid now than a few years ago, so apparently its working :lol::P:D )

Well, beside model building, I have a couple of interests. I like music a lot, especially doom metal. I dont play myself though.

My biggest interest though, has to be paranormal investigations. I have my own ghost hunter group, and we have been ad it for almost 13 years. Here in Denmark there are plenty of old haunted castles and other buildings :unsure:

I love playing golf...

I tried golf at one time, but it seems I spent more time in the woods than on the fairway! I would maybe have done better standing at the tee sideways with the horrible slice I had! :unsure::D