Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pair of Bell 47"s

• 8 years later...

Thanks Bill, these are mine. I would love to see pics of your RC one. I have actually combined these two kits to make the helicopter from the old Whirlybirds series. I used the bulk of the Revell 47G and the skids and IP from the MRC 47D.

whirly10.jpg

whirly11.jpg

whirly12.jpg

whirly13.jpg

whirly14.jpg

whirly15.jpg

whirly16.jpg

whirly17.jpg

whirly18.jpg

Edited by Classicgas

Lee, here's a pic of my gas powered Bell 47...............

PA280743-vi.jpg

My model room is a LOT more crowded now, but it's still hanging in the same spot. I'm not exactly sure of the maker, but the engine does run. It would need new servos and such to make it fly but I'm not sure one can be had for this any longer. I've had it for about 15 years and I'd say it's at least perhaps 30 years old.

I'll take it down from time to time and scare the cats with it! :lol:

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2010 at 3:36 PM, TheCat said:

Looking really good. What's the scale on this one?

Nobody answered this in EIGHT years?  Wow. OK, I'll butt in for the still-curious and other fans of zombie threads: both of those Bell 47/H-13 kits are 1/35 scale, to fit in with military kits. 

Despite what you may read on the internet, these 2 kits are NOT "made from the same molds" or "a copy/knock off."  They are totally different kits. The MRC kit was released around 1993, the Revell around 1996 in a series of licensed M*A*S*H kits (jeep, truck, "The Swamp" diorama scene, etc.). As the OP noted, the MRC kit is the version with a single fuel tank, the Revell has dual tanks.  

Around 2002 Academy got the MRC molds and tooled up a set of floats to make the US Coast Guard HTL-4 version.  I think these kits are all out of production right now. But all 3 versions are pretty easy to find, so don't fall for any "rare/collectible!!!" hype.  You'll mostly see that hype around the kit in the M*A*S*H boxes.  Revell has re-issued its kit in other boxes, like this gunship version:

rev04402_1.jpg

Edited by Mike999
goof3

Here's a better shot of my gas powered Bell 47. l took the photo just this morning and you'll see she's surrounded by plenty of models now! :D

5c17bbdc6f853_OldCoxBell47Copter.thumb.JPG.44e330016fb4bdb731438b9523e8dba0.JPG

What I need to fly it someday are new servos and a radio. You can see how yellowed the canopy has become and as I mentioned, you can see how HUGE this thing is as it's sitting directly above 1/24-25th scale models. When I bought it years ago, I recommended that the propellers be taken off so that it could at least fit in a box. I put them back on when I got it and it's been hanging from the ceiling I'd say for at least 15+ years now.

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Nobody answered this in EIGHT years?  Wow. OK, I'll butt in for the still-curious and other fans of zombie threads: both of those Bell 47/H-13 kits are 1/35 scale, to fit in with military kits. 

Despite what you may read on the internet, these 2 kits are NOT "made from the same molds" or "a copy/knock off."  They are totally different kits. The MRC kit was released around 1993, the Revell around 1996 in a series of licensed M*A*S*H kits (jeep, truck, "The Swamp" diorama scene, etc.). As the OP noted, the MRC kit is the version with a single fuel tank, the Revell has dual tanks....

WHAT !!! SACRILEGE !!! Proper internet etiquette is to repeat mindlessly what everyone else on the internet says, no matter how far afield from actual fact it may be.

First-hand knowledge and expertise have NO PLACE being allowed to compete with unfounded opinion !!!

(Just kidding. Thanks for the info...and it's really pretty obvious just from looking at the photos of the two helo models that they are indeed NOT from the same tooling. :D )

Edited by Ace-Garageguy