Model Cars Magazine Forum

Termite Candy

GrandpaMcGurk

It's the Lindy 1/12th Fiat Dragster kit...the chassis has been around for ages, it started out as that motorized futuristic thing they did many years ago and the tooling has been carried over in various kits since then. Still has some extra gears and brackets etc. on the trees from the old days...and yes, about 3/4 of the kit was chome plated (barf).

I bought the kit for 24 bucks during the ModelExpo sale.

I won't be using the kit body....hence the name Termite Candy. Going to be doing some kit bashing & scratch building for the coach work.

The theme is the wild and zany show cars from the late 60-70's.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Hobby time hasn't been my buddy lately but I managed to get a little more done on this car. Yes, I know the alternator is tipped but it hasn't been permanently mounted yet. The front suspension works and I'll be assembling the rear now. Still gotta run brake lines & finish plumbing the engine....but I'm getting there. I can't do the working steering until I have the body mocked up.

AcontestX002.jpg

AcontestX005.jpg

Added plug wire wires, changed the fuel lines, brake lines installed.....

Still need to wire alternator, starter and add coil, fuel filter, return spring for carbs, drain plug, tie rod, idler arm, thermostat & radiator hoses.........it just never ends, like the man said "the devil is in the detail".

Atermitecandy001.jpg

Atermitecandy002.jpg

Atermitecandy003.jpg

Atermitecandy006.jpg

Atermitecandy008.jpg

I didn't feel like driving 30 miles to the LHS this a.m. so I got started on the body with what I had on hand.

This is 1/16th inch thick bass wood. These are the interior panels of the coach.

Not having any pieces large enough on hand, I'm splicing two sheets together to make each side.

As I said these are the interior panels & will be upholstered on the inside, it'll also give me a base to assemble/glue the tapered ribs, door jambs etc. onto for the outer skin. Sure, I could just use flat panels for the outer skin and call it a day but being a glutton for punishment I want the outer skin to curve under at the bottom & I want the body to taper in front and rear. The roof will be a compound curve affair as well....why?..... ;) ....for rain run off!

ATCbody003.jpg

ATCbody004.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the interest.

Here's a few pics of the roughed out (un-sanded) coach in progress........some assembly required....yeah right.

Atc3002.jpg

This is the inside of the yet to be upholstered passenger compartment. Those little windows are handy if if you have to use a wheel gun to fend off robbers.

Atc3004.jpg

The rest of these photos are to show some of the framing for the outer contoured skin & door opening...yep, gotta have opening doors right?

Atc3006.jpg

Atc3007.jpg

Atc3009.jpg

Ok, I haven't said anything before now because I was at a loss for words. But now, I'm truly speechless as this is getting better and better with every update! Truly spectacular. I can't wait to see more. Keep up the stunningly awesome work! I can't wait to see more. B)

Thanks gang......

Here's a few more pics....I added window frames & door jambs (inside view).

ATC4001.jpg

Doubled up the hinge side of the door jamb for more strength to support the door & added basa wood blocks (harder and denser than balsa) to secure the hinges to. The other block is for mounting the striker plate for the door latch.

ATC4004.jpg

I put in some filler wood along the bottom edge & tapered it so that I would have more surface area to attach the outer skin to.

ATC4007.jpg

ATC4008.jpg

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

I finished up the framing on one side and started framing the other. I also started applying the outer skin to the finished side.

Note the baggie with the balsa sawdust in it...I dab a little CA in the imperfections and add a bit of the sawdust. It makes a great sand-able matching color filler that dries quickly and best of all it's free.

The pics below should give you a pretty good idea of the compound curves I was able to achieve using this construction method.

ATCskin001.jpg

ATCskin004.jpg

ATCskin011.jpg

ATCskin012.jpg

ATCskin015.jpg

ATCskin016.jpg