Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Ford Galaxie 500

mrmike

Friday night, I was looking around Jay Leno's Garage ( http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/ ) and discovered his current project, a '66 Galaxie 500 similar to the one his father bought back in 1966. The story I heard many years ago was Jay had pestered his father into letting him pick the motor for the car his father was ordering. 4 weeks later, his father discovered what his son had done, a 7 Litre V8 with muffler delete package. Jay's father was not happy with his son. Jay's project car started as a blue '66 Galaxie found in Canada, repainted maroon, shod with American Racing Torque Thrusts, and stuffed with a Roush 427 big block with 6 speed trans.

My build is a little different, starting with an AMT '66 Galaxie 500 kit, the kit 427 CI big block, 4 speed trans, and Cragar SS mags.

Gal01.jpg

The paint is Tamiya TS-54 Light Blue Metallic.

Gal02.jpg

Gal03.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks Gerald! The mold is very crisp, but there are some issues.

I have started bodywork by removing any mold lines and the bracing that AMT uses. I also removed the scripting on the C-pillars since they are faint and non-existant in some spots.

Gal04.jpg

The hood is a tight fit and I started sanding the sides to open it up. I still have more sanding to do since a couple coats of paint and primer will tighten it up too much.

Gal05.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike

It's pretty good kit, Steve, considering how old it is!

Today, paint was flowing! After all the priming and sanding and priming and sanding again and again, the body and hood were painted with Tamiya TS-54 Light Blue Metallic.

Gal07.jpg

Gal08.jpg

Gal09.jpg

Other bits and pieces were painted matt and semigloss black.

Gal06.jpg

Engine parts are out of the purple pond and need a little scrubbing. Then I can start on the motor!

More to come.....

Thanks guys for the nice comments!

Wow! What a beautiful color. Is that over a gray primer? it's gonna look good.

Later-

No gray primer here! I used Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer, a quick and clean sanding, and then 3 coats of paint.

Thanks Nico! I do like to build a variety of subjects and I know of your dislike of newer subjects and their plastic engine covers. I also like to build trucks-old and new, boats, planes, and even starships! My taste in cars run from hot rods, street machines, sports and muscle cars! Like I said, I like to build a variety of subjects.

A little more progress this afternoon. I have finished the interior, but I think I need to add a tachometer.

Gal10.jpg

Gal11.jpg

The motor is nearing completion. I still have to add the fan, oil filter, coil, and wire the distributor and route the wires. This is going to be a tight fit under the stock hood.

Gal12.jpg

More to come.....

The motor is complete! Wired and plumbed with fuel lines. The carbs are so badly molded that I glued the air cleaner on top. I hope the hood closes!

Gal16.jpg

Gal17.jpg

And it's installed in the chassis...and it's a tight fit!

Gal18.jpg

More to come.....

Thanks Dave! It is a great color and you should give it a try! The motor should be finished tomorrow.

I spent several hours foiling this afternoon. Have a look!

More to come.....

Wow! I know how tedious of work putting on all that BMF is :lol: , Great job on that! This is going to be a great build :( .

Edited by davyou5

Thanks DW!

I have removed the axle retainers from the chassis.

Gal19.jpg

I found a set of coil springs in my parts box that should raise the rear of the car to a better height.

Gal20.jpg

I didn't want the stock skinny tires and the Grand Natinal/Custom tire were way too big, I found a set of BF Goodrich Radial T/A's in my parts box and they look great mounted on the Cragar SS mags.

Gal21.jpg

More to come.....

Edited by mrmike