Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Moebius Lonestar

The "buzz" about this new kit reminds me of "back in the day" when a newcomer to model kits named "The Ertl Company" announced they were designing a "Blueprint replica" of an International Transtar CO/4070. That kit set the bar for kits for years to come.

By the looks of the Moebius LoneStar, the bar has just been moved up several notches.

Tim

My idea: Western Distributing.

Tim

hey dave, do you know what the decals for the truck looks like? just wondering. ;)

The "buzz" about this new kit reminds me of "back in the day" when a newcomer to model kits named "The Ertl Company" announced they were designing a "Blueprint replica" of an International Transtar CO/4070. That kit set the bar for kits for years to come.

By the looks of the Moebius LoneStar, the bar has just been moved up several notches.

Tim

My idea: Western Distributing.

Tim

I just saw a funky Lonestar today dressed in scarlet red with a matched Great Dane Stainless 50 foot reefer set up. I still think the Midland livery is my first project when it hits the shelves.

jhppch.jpg

I just saw a funky Lonestar today dressed in scarlet red with a matched Great Dane Stainless 50 foot reefer set up. I still think the Midland livery is my first project when it hits the shelves.

jhppch.jpg

By what I saw in the test shot pics, you should even be able to build that truck exactly as it looks in the pic. I don't know if anyone esle noticed it, but it appears to me the air deflector on the top of the sleeper was taped on, hopefully meaning it is a separate piece.

Dave,

I would to thank you for coming in here to hear what we builders are saying.

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to post here.

It's great seeing a brand new model !

I know you'll get bombarded by suggestions but here is one for your consideration, if the Prostar or other trucks in IH's line up use the same platform and cab how about making a conversion setup with just the hoods for the different models?

They could be used in conjunction with the Lone Star kit.

Just an idea for thought.

Leo

Leo, Dave,

This is something I think would be a big hit. Parts packs which include a hood and necessary parts(radiator, brackets, etc.) for conversion to a different model. Also, separate packs with a daycab panel including glazing, different factory exhaust set ups, other sleeper options, alternate wheels and tires(highway, offroad, etc.).

Les

Don't know what we'll include for decals yet.

I'm sure that we'd like to do follow on kits and a daycab would be one possibility, its way too soon to discuss that future kit...

Right now our priority is to get this kit from the mock-up stage you see now to tooling!

There are a number of details to be corrected - mainly in the interior and engine....

I'd be really happy if I have the mock-up physically in my hands for a final review with the guys at Navistar within the next 30 days!

After that I can start working on stuff like a decal sheet and box art etc!

We are hopeful that the kit will make store shelves at the end of this year or early next year.

Glad to see that we picked a good subject i think it's the first really differnt new truck since the kenworth Aerodyne

I've had the good fortune to spend a good part of a day crawling all over one with a camera.

That truck happened to be a prototype that Navistar had given a local man & wife team to drive as a test vehicle.. I guess that they had truckers pounding on their door in truck stops all over the country wanting to know what that truck was and where could they get one like it..

The guys at Navistar finaly came up with literature racks to hang on the mirrors so potential customers could get those answers!

My name is Dave Metzner and I'm new here, Art has already pretty well explained that I'm the product development guy at Moebius Models.

I'll try to stop by here from time to time as my schedule allows.

Just a couple quick additions.../ corrections regarding our Lonestar kit

The engine in the kit will be a MaxxForce 15 not the Maxx Force13.

This is Navistar's own engine - it is an all new engined, derived from the Caterpillar 15 Litre engine with all new fuel and air management systems and Navistar's EGR polution control system.

The suspension will be Navistar's proprietary pieces.

Navistar provided CAD files for the Cab, hood, aero package, sleeper, frame, suspension, fuel tanks, battery box and brackets, and exhaust system.

I photographed a couple trucks on two different occasions. And we had access to Navistar's computer illustrations of the interior.

Plans are to have this kit on store shelves by the end of this year or very early next year..

Thanks,

Dave

The suspension will be Navistar's proprietary pieces.

2u41tfl.jpg

Navistar refers to the rear suspension on Lonestar as IROS I don't think that is a Hendrickson system,I believe that I've been told that it is a Navistar proprietary design However I am not a heavy truck expert. I know just enough to be dangerous!

The prototype tractor that I photographed back in July of '09 had Hendrickson suspension both front and rear (althought the rear did not look like the illustration above - it had large links between the frame rails) it also had a Cummins engine. The one I shot in December had a Navistar maxx force 15 and an IROS rear suspension With Navistars front suspension it was one of the first six trucks built with the new engine.

I've been told that production trucks will have Navistar engines and suspension components...

I would not be surprised to find out that you can order Hendrickson suspensions if you want them I'm sure that these trucks can be built to your spec for the most part.

My understanding is that engine choices may be more limited than they once were it may be that you can have any engine you want so long as it's a Navistar engine.

This change may be mandated by the way the government wants to regulate polution from diesel engines as much as by Navistar's desire to sell their own engines...

Navistar is the only manufacturer of big diesel trucks that uses EGR technology to control polution and I don't think that tey provide engines to any other manufacturer.

Dave

Edited by Dave Metzner

Don't know what we'll include for decals yet.

I'm sure that we'd like to do follow on kits and a daycab would be one possibility, its way too soon to discuss that future kit...

Right now our priority is to get this kit from the mock-up stage you see now to tooling!

There are a number of details to be corrected - mainly in the interior and engine....

I'd be really happy if I have the mock-up physically in my hands for a final review with the guys at Navistar within the next 30 days!

After that I can start working on stuff like a decal sheet and box art etc!

We are hopeful that the kit will make store shelves at the end of this year or early next year.

Glad to see that we picked a good subject i think it's the first really differnt new truck since the kenworth Aerodyne

I've had the good fortune to spend a good part of a day crawling all over one with a camera.

That truck happened to be a prototype that Navistar had given a local man & wife team to drive as a test vehicle.. I guess that they had truckers pounding on their door in truck stops all over the country wanting to know what that truck was and where could they get one like it..

The guys at Navistar finaly came up with literature racks to hang on the mirrors so potential customers could get those answers!

I appreciate the hard work Mr. Metzner. From my experience, several model subjects have made it to the mock up stage only to be lost in the model truck ether. We are still a bit of a ways off from getting this subject on to our work benches. If I might add, please don’t neglect the wheels and tires. Many a good model kit has been compromised by inaccurate wheels and tires. Proprietary International aluminum wheel pattern and low profile highway rubber would be preferred.

As far as the Kenworth you mentioned, I assume you are referring to the AMT T600 kit that was offered in the early 1990s. In my humble opinion it was a bust. It appeared that it was a final gasp at AMT trying to resurrect their once proud line of big rig kits. It seemed they were aiming to the NASCAR crowd as a racing team haul rather than the big truck fan. They gave it just enough detail to satisfy the NASCAR crowd and not enough to interest the big rig fan.

After your company has sold the first 20,000 kits of the Lonestar and the second 10,000 kits of the Prostar, please considered a Kenworth T700 or a Freightliner Cascadia as your next subjects! :)

Actually, Dave, Italeri made a 2000something Volvo VN Series.

HPIM1521.jpg

HPIM1522.jpg

The kit overall is not bad, but the way it is in the pictures is what you get, take in mind this one's not finished, but there is no engine at all. The interior and cab is nice as all Italeri kits, but I'm real happy I won this in a show kit raffle, no engine is a real drawback!