Model Cars Magazine Forum

35 Ford farm truck

I Want to build a 1/24th or 1/25th scale 1934,35, or 36 Ford 1.5 ton truck that my father had. I'm sure some kit-bashing and scratch building is in store but I could use some advice on where to start. I havn't been able to locate a model of this truck, so how do I go about building it?

Whoa!, I do beleive I got off on the wrong foot. I realize that a 1943 Ford Farm truck is not the one I want to build, rather the 1935, 36, or possibley the 1937 Ford farm truck. By using pictures I find on line, I might be able to scratch build the fenders, but the cab would take more work unless somehow I can kitbash a one from another Kit. Is the cab of a 1.5 ton truck very much larger than a pickup? Thanks fellows for the response you sent to me.

If I remember correctly the Ford Model AA (truck) shared a lot of parts in common with the Ford Model A (car). Same for the Model B & BB. When Ford introduced the F-Series in 1948, that had no parts in common with the Ford cars of the era (ok, maybe the engine).

Generally you can almost guarantee that most of these older trucks have the same sheetmetal as their 1/2 ton counterparts. COE trucks is where it changed but usually only by cutting an reshaping the front lower corners of the cab and then adding a taller hood. I agree for kit bashing and scratcbuilding I would find a car from the desired year. It will take a lot of modification since the bodies started to go away from the car style in 35 but at least you will have a base to start with.

There are kits for the 1934 (AMT/Lindberg) and 1937 (Revell) Ford trucks you could start with if those years are close enough for you. The frame and springs can be scratchbuilt fairly easily from styrene strip or you could use one of the Italeri Opel Blitz kits for the frame and wheels with a little modification. the Blitz was a German WW2 1.5 ton cargo truck first built in the late 1930s. Opel was connected to GM in the 1930s so the Blitz shares many features with American trucks of the time making that kit popular for 1930-40-50s Ford or GM truck kit bash projects.

I narrowed the stake bed from the AMT Ford C cab for a 1937 Ford 1.5 ton flatbed I was building because I had several in my parts box, but a flat bed is an easy scratchbuild project.

There may be a resin 35-36 Ford out there but I'm not aware of one. Dencon has a couple different wheels / tires you could use if you decide not to use the Blitz kit for the running gear.

http://www.denconresin.com/classictruck.html

Edited by Aaronw

I forgot to mention that if you are going to build a '35/'36 Ford pickup you will need to start with Revell's '37 Ford pickup kit...........the cab is the same except for the v'd windshield. You will need to flatten out the windshield area; since the '35 and '36 Ford pickups had a flat windshield. I can not help you out with the correct hood sides; but you should be able modify the ones in the kits.

Whoa!, I do beleive I got off on the wrong foot. I realize that a 1943 Ford Farm truck is not the one I want to build, rather the 1935, 36, or possibley the 1937 Ford farm truck. By using pictures I find on line, I might be able to scratch build the fenders, but the cab would take more work unless somehow I can kitbash a one from another Kit. Is the cab of a 1.5 ton truck very much larger than a pickup? Thanks fellows for the response you sent to me.

The cab,engine,hood,grill, and possibly the trans would be the same as a smaller pick up.Fenders were bigger to fit taller tires.

Edited by mistermodel