Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvair Wheelstander for the Birmingham Classic

TimKustom

Tim,

Outstanding build!!! It is so cool that my wife asked me to step aside so she could get a better look - and she usually does not have much interest. I hope to see it in person in either Bham or hopefully you will bring it to the Southern Nationals in November.

Again beutiful and well executed build.

Robyn

Did a real nice job alot craftmanship went into that baby.What kind of printer do you use and what was the program you used to do the decals.

Love the job you did on the chassic,motor and driver.You ever thought of doing a how too on painting drivers or wiring the motor.Well keep up the good work.

John Pol

dragking and others,

the decals were drawn in Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop. Those are professional graphic arts programs (it's what I do for a living). They were printed (with hassle I might add) on a Xerox Docucolor 240 (specs are on Xerox's website). Expect to find a printer like this at a quick copy type shop. I plan to expore this method even more on my next model.

As promised folks, one last update.

It really wouldn't be complete if it didn't do what it was supposed to do. The theme stated "Wheels off the ground, driver required", so the rear of the frame is reinforced with brass to hold the car up.

The base started out as a scrap piece of poplar that I got from a woodworking buddy. We cut it to size and drilled holes for the brass "pins" at a 30 degree angle. Next we cut a retaining wall to 8x25mm (3 cinderblocks tall in 25th), and drilled index holes so the wall could be removed.

REVBaseBkgLR-vi.jpg

It was pained with several layers of Scale Motorsports faux fabric paint, gray primer, testors metalizers, flat & gloss black until it looked like a race track. Sorry can't be more clear than that, but that's how it went :lol:.

The back picture came from the book " Diggers, Funnies, Gassers & Altereds: Drag Racing's Golden Era" (great book BTW). I had to photoshop it quite a bit to eliminate the car that was in the shot.

Wheelstanding-vi.jpg

Thanks to all that gave nice comments. I really built this as a challenge to myself, as each model I build I want to be better than the last one. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

Just remember, it's not about collecting trophies, or "hits" on a board, it's about challenging yourself to do the best ya can.

Watching through the floorboard,

Tim Kolankiewicz