Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford C-600 Stake Truck

Chuck Most

The second frame rails are for a Semi cab. (Very Short--Think IMC Dodge L700)

So you Want the stake bed chassis frame rails for that Rescue.

I would love to do the Young Canopy cab from Neville Island, Pa.

Too bad I have only a few hand drawn sketches with a few measurements.

Not sure what happened to her. was at a scrap yard last time I was up there.

I actually started one with the Napa box issue of the C, but had no measurements/pic's/drawings at the time.

The canopy is different than all others I have seen pic's of.

Hope to see this Rescue started.

The second frame rails are for a Semi cab. (Very Short--Think IMC Dodge L700)

So you Want the stake bed chassis frame rails for that Rescue.

I would love to do the Young Canopy cab from Neville Island, Pa.

Too bad I have only a few hand drawn sketches with a few measurements.

Not sure what happened to her. was at a scrap yard last time I was up there.

I actually started one with the Napa box issue of the C, but had no measurements/pic's/drawings at the time.

The canopy is different than all others I have seen pic's of.

Hope to see this Rescue started.

Dan,

Is the canopy cab on the Neville Island piece different from our own Cargostar's resin canopy cab? His is very well done, and exceptionally priced. If you have any side view photos, you can use Tim Bongard's "Photogrametry" method to estimate your measurements. HTH.

Edited by hooknladderno1

Yea it is different.

Unless his had the side coming Straight down from the Belt line

instead of following the curve.

That is the problem, I Don't have pictures. I am not sure who I could ask either.

My Grandparents are both dead, and most of the rest of the family no longer

live on the Island.

• 1 month later...

I have an incredible photo etch set from Harald Weber from Hamberg, Germany too!

Try this one:

hw962c@gmx.de

I had that old one and got the same response. This one should work.

I thought the p/e set came up in this topic, but I didn't see it. So that this info doesn't get lost, here's the original post by Len Woodruff: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25667&hl=c600

There was a very nice, very extensive photo etch set made for the AMT C series kits by Harald Weber of Germany. You can see pics in my Fotki albums in the "in progress" folder.

http://www.public.fotki.com/lotso/harald-weber-photo-etch/

Found it in the C-600 reference pics topic: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36901

Thanks for posting the link to pics of the p/e set, Ben.

MVC029F-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere I've seen a reference to somebody doing a Mack conversion on these (maybe one of Evan's columns?). As for merc stuff, maybe a photo-etch set will eventually get offered; especially since the '69 Moebius shortbox will be virtually identical grill-wise to a '68 Merc (they ended production in april '68).

mike

• 4 months later...

Been watching this thread for some time now. Excellent info and pictures; thanks guys!

One thing no one has mentioned so far - at least that I saw from scanning the three pages of info here:

I've been working for some time now on a C800 kitbash, and after building up the stake chassis, I was surprised at how short it was.

Went to my kit stash and found the old AMT C800 Delivery Van (mid-late 1970's issue) and was stunned to figure out that it features a third wheelbase (the other two being the tractor and the stakebed frames). This one is significantly longer than the other two, and thus includes an extra crossmembers and a carrier bearing for the (now) two-piece driveshaft.

The good news, of course, is that this is the version that will be reissued later this year with the Pepsi livery.

Best regards...TIM

The question is: will the Pepsi version have the extra frame rails or not. When Round2 reissued the stake truck, the extra frame rails were not included if I remember correctly. They were included in the Steven's International reissue, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Here are the tractor version's framerails found in the 2005 RC2 era resissue. The transparent amber lights are not included in the 2005 RC2 kit, and the decal sheet is much smaller, too-- probably the same as what was included in earlier issues of the kit?:

58ef6249-d473-4a48-93d1-56bfe77411c5.jpg

ebdc1caa-b9a3-4e18-8e41-8bf14587a0cd.jpg

I have to admit the instructions for this kit are not the greatest, especially when it comes to positioning of certain parts against neighboring parts. It also seems the out wheel lips/rim sections are too small in diameter to fit the tires, and there are two big sinkholes in the rear spring packs spanning a few of the leaves. I think the rear tires will hide them for the most part, so probably not a big deal in the long run.

This kit (I have the Steven's International reissue) appears to be holding up very well, too, as far as molded parts quality is concerned. Zero flash, and very few nibs of hints of wear showing on the parts. I guess the RC2 era wasn't so bad after all. ^_^

I have to admit the instructions for this kit are not the greatest, especially when it comes to positioning of certain parts against neighboring parts. It also seems the out wheel lips/rim sections are too small in diameter to fit the tires, and there are two big sinkholes in the rear spring packs spanning a few of the leaves. I think the rear tires will hide them for the most part, so probably not a big deal in the long run.

This kit (I have the Steven's International reissue) appears to be holding up very well, too, as far as molded parts quality is concerned. Zero flash, and very few nibs of hints of wear showing on the parts. I guess the RC2 era wasn't so bad after all. ^_^

Following up on Casey's comment, I found the instructions sheet to be lacking in terms of the specific location of the front inner fenders to the floorboard/fender unit. I totally messed up, and couldn't fix it after I glued the parts in the wrong alignment I had to do a new assembly with parts from a second kit to recover.

Other than that, I was able to figure out most of the issues. I found that the kit still has the issue first reported in Phil Jensen's initial Car Model Tidewater Trucker kit review back in 1972 - the front bumper hangs up on the grille when the body is tilted forward. Also, the air cleaner assembly may be a smidgen too high, and the floorboard interferes with the top of the radiator preventing the body from sitting flat on the chassis.

In spite of all that, it's a neat kit and the Ford SuperDuty 534c.i. V8 is way beyond cool! TIM

Following up on Casey's comment, I found the instructions sheet to be lacking in terms of the specific location of the front inner fenders to the floorboard/fender unit. I totally messed up, and couldn't fix it after I glued the parts in the wrong alignment I had to do a new assembly with parts from a second kit to recover.

That's definitely another grey area as far as accurate positioning of parts is concerned. I did some test fitting last night, and the glass fits perfectly into the body, followed by the interior tub, but there isn't a lot of contact between the fender wells and the interior floor/insides of the cab. Ditto for the rear cab panel.

641f3a0a-5d47-49c4-bfa0-79165fe0ad19.jpg

In spite of all that, it's a neat kit and the Ford SuperDuty 534c.i. V8 is way beyond cool!

It's semi-familiar if you've built other V-8s, but there are some odd differences, and I wasn't sure the valley (or "galley" per the instructions) pan was correctly mated with the cylinder heads, but I think I got it together correctly. The hole in the back of the water pump is much larger than the coolant passage tube(?) at the front of the intake manifold, so those two pieces don't have a great fit, but not the worst thing.

cd1254d8-7690-4f1a-bb48-cf8f3a621ba1.jpg

In spite of all that, it's a neat kit and the Ford SuperDuty 534c.i. V8 is way beyond cool! TIM

One of these days I'm going to build one of those engines into a 1:25 Seamaster...

1_zpsde645f2f.jpg

If I get really ambitious I'll do the turbo version.

2_zps18810919.jpg

I don't build boat models (at least not yet) but I think one or both of these would make for an interesting load for a C-600 flatbed.

I don't build boat models (at least not yet) but I think one or both of these would make for an interesting load for a C-600 flatbed.

Perfect use for those "Dean's Marina" decals in the Revell '65 Chevy Stepside/Hemi Hydro kit.

I seemed to have resolved the issue I was having with the wheel lips slipping inside the tires when I discovered the bead area on one side of each tire is slightly smaller than the other, to match the slightly smaller O.D. of the outer wheel lip (compared to the inner/rear lip). I still need to locate some mini backer rod to stuff the tires with and "inflate" them a bit for a better fit on the wheels. Overall I am loving this kit, though. :)

How do they get to the engine on the RV? The cab won't tilt with the camper over it.

The camper body raises up like a dump body, and the cab can then be tilted.

And lest we forget, Revell produced two C cab models in HO scale, back in the 1960s. The moving van came with furniture:

$T2eC16J,!y!FIdcJ8QMQBSet)9kkbQ~~60_35.J

%24T2eC16RHJF8E9nnC7Q3)BRGm(0krQ!~~60_35

Edited by B_A_R

HelJan-Con Cor has re-issued those a couple times

I have 2-3 of each!!

And Don't forget that Leetown/Alloy Forms offered a few of their Diecast Fire truck body kits with that cab too

I have 2 of the Pierce CRV Heavy Rescue body kit, and at least 1 Pumper kit with that cab!!.

The only difference in the HelJan issue Global VAn Lines kit

It was ALL molded in White while the Original Revell kit was molded in 2 shades of Blue and only the van roof was white!

Here is my Rescue partially painted!!

Ho-Fire-24.jpg