Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford C-600 Stake Truck

Chuck Most

Not sure what causes sink marks, or in this case, sink lines, but they are rather prominent on the RC2 issue. I wasn't planning to use the stake bed anyway, but it's an issue to be aware of if you are. You can see the shadow lines where the cross members run underneath the bed floor here:

17863839-e20d-45e5-9e48-62aba8923f70.jpg

Yeah- that gray plastic RC2 loved to use sure did love to adorn itself with sink marks... ugh...

I've got one of those kits, with the same sinks in the same areas (only slightly worse), I'm thinking I might just throw down an open rectangle of Plastruct strip and lay some real wood planks down for the stake bed.

Yeah- that gray plastic RC2 loved to use sure did love to adorn itself with sink marks... ugh...

I've got one of those kits, with the same sinks in the same areas (only slightly worse), I'm thinking I might just throw down an open rectangle of Plastruct strip and lay some real wood planks down for the stake bed.

I hate these sink liiiiiiiiines.... :lol:

What you said is the reason I wouldn't be too bothered by the sink lines. If I'm building the stake bed with all that wood, I'd use basswood instead of trying to paint the plastic anyway.

Casey, as I understand it sink marks are caused by a combination of the part thickness and the mold cooling time.-thicker parts require more cooling time inside the mold machine, which slows down production. If the part is not cool enough when removed from the mold, the plastic will shrink until it cools. I bet that your "shrink lines" have some sort of framework on the opposite side of the parts..

Casey, as I understand it sink marks are caused by a combination of the part thickness and the mold cooling time.-thicker parts require more cooling time inside the mold machine, which slows down production. If the part is not cool enough when removed from the mold, the plastic will shrink until it cools. I bet that your "shrink lines" have some sort of framework on the opposite side of the parts..

You're dead right- where the sink marks are visible in the pics, there are molded crossmembers underneath the surface of the flat bed.

Even the original issue kit had at least some issues with sink marks--but the exaggerated sinkers we see today are more the result of the current styrene blends in use, as opposed to 42 years ago.

Art

• 5 years later...

The only modification is the addition of the Coca Cola vending machines and decals...otherwise it's probably the same as the last re-issue...and the re-issue before that...and... :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

On 7/17/2019 at 11:53 AM, Force said:

I wonder why they still insists to call it a C600, the emblem on the cab says C800 and the chassis are a bit too beefy for a 600.

The engine in the  Stake Bed kit is a dead-nuts replica of the largest displacement version (534 cubic inches) of the Ford "Super Duty" truck-only engine family introduced in 1958.  This Super Duty engine was never available in the C600.  It was, of course, available in the C800.  Not to mention all the AMT C-Series kits I've seen include the "C800" emblem Hakan mentions above.   TIM

9 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The engine in the  Stake Bed kit is a dead-nuts replica of the largest displacement version (534 cubic inches) of the Ford "Super Duty" truck-only engine family introduced in 1958.  This Super Duty engine was never available in the C600.  It was, of course, available in the C800.  Not to mention all the AMT C-Series kits I've seen include the "C800" emblem Hakan mentions above.   TIM

So was the kit ever issued as a C800?

IMO, there was some last minute shuffling at AMT when the kit was introduced.  IMO, there was a communication breakdown between Ford and AMT. The 534 was only available in the 900 series. This kit is a technically a C 900.  800 and lighter series came with 391's, 361's and 330's.  These 3 engines are very similar in appearance to the 390 used in the mid 70's F 350 kits. Another oddity is the photo on the  original stake box cover shows the door emblem on above belt line,  which was the correct location for '70. The actual kit has the door emblem below the  belt line, correct location for '71 +. This leads me to believe the original stake came out before the Metro tractor? 

I believe the T548 C600 Napa City Delivery Box Truck, the T567 C900 Metro Tractor and the T596 C600 Stake Bed Truck all came in 1972, if you go by the kit numbers, wich I'm not sure you can as I don't know if AMT numbered them in order, the City Delivery was first as it has the lowest number.
I have never seen one of these Ford trucks called out as a C800 wich is funny as that's what the door emblem says, just C600 and C900, I have the 2005 RC2 issue of the stake bed and it also has the tractor parts in it, I also have the 2013 issue of the Pepsi box truck, it doesn't have the short tractor frame rails but the rest is there.
If they have done these right the C600 would have had a smaller engine, a lighter duty chassis with smaller wheels and other door emblems, the kit is right for a C900 except for the door emblems.

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 8:53 AM, Force said:

I wonder why they still insists to call it a C600, the emblem on the cab says C800 and the chassis are a bit too beefy for a 600.

Maybe the kats at AMT can  enlighten us someday.  IMO,  the first mistake was the  stake bed side box disinformation. Now if someone wanted to put in a 361-391 ( second photo), which can be done by modifying  the star truck F 350 pickup engine ( third photo), larger oil pan, drop center exhaust manifolds,  larger air filter, larger distributor and fan, you would have an actual C 800.

AMT-Ford-C600-Tilt-Cab-Stake-Bed-Truck-_57.jpg

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2010 at 11:22 PM, Luc Janssens said:

These decals are "only" in the last edition.

I wish round-2 would sell some of it's decals via their site or so, cuz love their artwork!

Good news, many Round2 kit decal sheets from the last decade or so are now available for purchase through the Auto World Store, including the sheet from this specific re-issue of the C-Series Ford:

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product-p/amt650decals.htm

AMT650DECALS-2.jpg?v-cache=1582550725

On 5/10/2020 at 9:25 PM, Casey said:

Good news, many Round2 kit decal sheets from the last decade or so are now available for purchase through the Auto World Store, including the sheet from this specific re-issue of the C-Series Ford:

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product-p/amt650decals.htm

AMT650DECALS-2.jpg?v-cache=1582550725

Thanks for the heads up Casey!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2010 at 4:12 PM, Chuck Most said:

Check out the "Atom Trashers Radioactive Disposal Service" markings,and radiation symbols. Imagine a fleet of C-600s rumbling through your town wearing THAT company's livery! :)

I saw some glow-in-the-dark paint the other day that would be a great "wash" for a finished kit just to give a hint of glow.