Model Cars Magazine Forum

Off road powerline bucket lift

Its been a long time coming but this project is now essentially complete. I still have to do some light weathering and add tools and other widgets to the body. This is an of road power line maintenance vehicle. It's what happens when these two model kits meet up with a razor saw.

DSCN7422.jpg

Moebius 1/24th scale Lost in Space Chariot

DSCN7423.jpg

DG Productions Topkick bucket truck

This is what I ended up with

DSCN7850.jpg

DSCN7853.jpg

DSCN7846.jpg

DSCN7855.jpg

DSCN7851.jpg

It is a bit different but it did get a lot more involved than I originally planned on.

Thanks for looking

Carl

That is exactly the reason modelers should not be allowed to play with razor saws! :):lol:

Of course, I'm kidding, nice idea and nice model. I might have to find one of those Moebius kits, I'm getting an idea for one of those Snow Cat plows like they use for grooming ski slopes. :D

That is pretty neat. It looks like the Mobious kit has a fairly accurate snowcat suspension / tracks, I never would have thought of looking to that kit for parts, but now I have some ideas floating around my head. Yellowstone has a Ford F-350 ambulance set on some tracks like that for use in the winter.

There you go! That's cool. Good job.

Speaking of other possibilities, how about a forest service fire truck? That dog would hunt!

The South East US and Canada use Bombadiers for firefighting. I'm not that familiar with them as far as the style of track, but it is certainly a possibility.

Thanks Guys for all the kind words about my model.

The real chariot used on the TV show was based on a Morton Thiokol snow cat. The Moebius model should be a fairly easy (thats what I thought when I started mine :) ) conversion to a ski hill groomer. The multi-way blade would probably be the most difficult task. It would also work as a brush truck too. Aaron, Bombardier uses a simmilar undercarriage.

Tim, I havn't fouond a use for the robot yet. Its still hanging out in the parts box.

Here are a couple pics of Hydro One's 150' off-road bucket lift. It has a 1000 lb. basket capacity. It us a Hydra-trac HT500XL. Its sort of the grand daddy of off road machines. Hydro One is Ontario's electricty distributor. They have several smaller versions of these cats for line maintenance in snow or swamps

DSCN7729.jpg

DSCN7732.jpg

Thanks for looking

Carl