Model Cars Magazine Forum

Evergreen square or round stock

What size is ideal to make a frame for a car?

Really for a tear drop trailer? Which I guess would be similar.

I am ordering online and when I tried to order plastic for axles before I ended up with plastic as thin as string :D

Any help is appreciated.

Greg, :)

If you are wanting to use plastic for axles, why don't you use sprue. It would be more ridgid than Evergreen. ;)

For a trailer frame, 2" x 2" square tubing should be just fine. In 1/25 scale, this would translate to .080" square strip. For an older drag car frame using rectangular tubing, 2" x 3" was often used, which translates to .080" x .125". If you are building frame rails that kick up at the front and/or rear, consider using .080" thick sheet plastic. You would then cut the rails out as one piece with the kickups built in, which would save time and save a lot of angle cuts. The leftover pieces could be cut into .125" strips and used to build crossmembers, traction bars, etc. To build two matching rails, cut the two pieces out, tack them together in a few spots (not too many) with super glue, then finish shaping them while they are together. When you are done filing them to shape, separate the two pieces with a single-edge razor blade and scrape/sand off the glue. A trailer frame would normally be built to allow for a flat floor, so you don't need to worry about kickups. Straight strip material should work for that.

For a trailer axle (or a drag car straight tubular axle), don't use styrene rod. Instead, use 3/32" styrene tube with .039" music wire inside. The styrene rod will sag or bend under the weight of a finished model (even a trailer). The music wire, though difficult to cut, will not bend. If you use regular model kit wheel backs that are made for the usual model kit wire axles, you will have to plug the axle holes and redrill them smaller for the music wire. Don't use larger styrene tube with a regular model kit wire axle inside unless you are constructing a trailer to haul a car on. In that case, you'd probably use larger styrene channel or I-beam to build the trailer frame too.

I guess I should start saving it. B)

The first thing I do is snip all parts off of sprues and dispose of sprue.

I guess it makes me feel like I am making progress with less bulk :lol:

I did use he sprue for the frame and axle I was working on and it was perfect.

"why don't you use sprue?" I have a jar and a box full. Doesn't everyone save sprue ?:huh: