Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 49 Merc Question

I don't have much experience modding except perhaps shaving and filling a litle. However, I did just think of what might be a great use for some of the left over sprue tree on the revell '49 mercury Special Edition. I am looking at the sprue tree that holds the driveshaft, front suspension and rear end and I notice that the outer edges look a lot like a step notch on an airbagged or juiced truck. So, I was wandering just how hard it would be to narrow this, glue it back together, cut off the extra, and sand it all smooth. I was thinking that, if it would work, I could use it to help me build a close replica of my 1:1 98 Chevy S10. I live almost 2 hours from my LHS so, I figured this would be a great way to recycle and make use of what I got. My question is, with a couple hours of effort put into it, does anyone think it would work?

Ken, it's plastic, and you can do ANYTHING you want with it. If i get what your talkin about, you want to use this sprue tree as a chassis AFTER you've modded it? Hey, it sounds good. Just give it a shot an let us know how it came out! i think you should go for it!!!:D :D ;)

Yeah, I was just thinking that if I narrow that section, it would be a very quick and easy way for someone that doesn't have in depth skills and quick access to materials. I noticed also that , the kit has a lot of long straight sprue tree sections that would be good for making the cross sections for the "bridge" in the notch and I can use the flat parts of the extra hood to cut out upper and lower bag mounts. It's an idea in progress but, I figured my question might help anyone with a similar ideas. If ya happen to have one of these unbuilt, take a look and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by Skydime

No reason why it wouldnt work, you will just have to take the time to let the glue dry between modifications.... I built (and Z'd) a similar frame for a 26 model T sedan I am building.... I built it from some leftover scraps from the original frame, and some rectanguar styrene strips they sell in packs. The key here is only doing a little bit, let it dry, continue.... See attached picture. Also, the flathead engine that can be seen in the upper part of the pic, the headers are made from a chrome parts tree.. (although not finished).... You are only limited by your imagination, and what you have laying around. I see oddball stuff that can be used for modeling all the time!

Good Luck!

Rudy

post-2295-005405200 1288595682_thumb.jpg

Of course it will work.For those that dont know it Inside of lindbergs 64 dodge 330 kits there is a sprue tree that will make a perfect 1/24-25 scale trailer,With a bit of imagination anything can be done with styrene.And you asked the question so you proved you have the imagination,So I say go for it Show us what you can do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...