Model Cars Magazine Forum

has anybody tried this new paint?

hello out there. my friend just painted his 1.1 t-bucket gas tank with this rattle can paint he got from w-m. it is called x-metal. it comes in red, blue, green, and purple. it also has a sliver basecoat too. it is called anodize but it looks like a metallic or a fine metalflake. i am going to paint a front fender to see how it works but i was wondering if anybody has used it on a model yet.

well i painted a austin drag car 1 piece front end and it turned out great. it looks like a candy red. it flowed out pretty good to. it doesn't have as much glitter to it though. probably because of size. my real concern was if it would peel or lift. i haven't cleared it yet and that might get wierd but it is all krylon anyway. if i had a camera and i could figure out how to, i would post a picture. i am very computer illiterate.

i looked all over the can but it doesn't say what it is. maybe i'll look at www.krylon.com and see. it does say to much exposer will cause brain damage. mmm. as far as the clear goes, i dropped the part and scratched it up real good so i will have to obviously repaint it. it does say on the can to paint over metal or chrome and does not say anything about plastic other than topcoat in 1 hr or 5 days to prevent lift. as i said, it did come out nice even with a little spit from the nozzle that flowed out and disappeared. i wont be able to get back to it for a while as i have a large list of life to have to deal with right now. oh another thing, i put it in castrol purple power and the paint came right off a day later.

well, i contacted krylon and they said it is an acrylic vt alkyd resin based product. whatever that all is! some sort of plastic i guess. they said it was possible to paint models if light coats are applied but it is really for metal. i am going to paint something else bigger, like a whole body and see how it comes out. i also told them to put it in quart cans too. later gary

• 2 weeks later...

well, i found another color of this stuff. orange. i painted a front fender to my henry j using the sliver basecoat color and it turned out to look like candy tangerine with a metallic glitter effect under the orange. i like the way this stuff looks. the nice thing is, it is a big can and cost what the little cans of model paint cost. i also finally learned how to upload pic's so when i get a camera that will take clear close ups of small things i will post some pic's of painted parts.