Model Cars Magazine Forum

I recently found a picture of a dodge dakota custom that I really like so I am going to do a buildup of something along these lines.

RattlerPosterSmall.jpg

Well, I thought to myself, I will take a break from high-level detail and since the dakota is the Lindberg snap kit, I will just do some body mods and interior mods, relocate the holes for the metal axles, and have a lowered truck. Nice and easy. NOT!!! The chassis has details that stick out below the level of the lower valences on the truck so now I have to switch out the chassis. It will be a spare I had from the Revell Saleen speedster. Now, since I am doing the build full detail, I need to pick and engine. I don't want to do a hemi. Might to a V8 but I was thinking more along the lines of a V6 or Inline 6. Anyone have any ideas for a good, unusual engine I could use?

Here is what I have going so far. Slung some putty last night for the body mods. Have the tonneau(however you spell it) cover on.

P1030289.jpg

P1030290.jpg

Painting on the seats is real sloppy so I have to go back and repaint the black.

P1030291.jpg

These are the decals I am using.

P1030292.jpg

STewart

Edited by stewart

I have finished most of the body work. Still trying to figure out what to do with the hood. I could just do a cowl induction like they have but I would like to be able to do the air vents on the hood as well and am not sure how. Anyone have any ideas? I decided on the DOHC twin turbo V6 from the Dodge stealth and I ordered a dodge viper for the wheels. Body work done except for the hood. Made it into a single cab. Pretty easy conversion. I also think that I have found a great color combo!!! ;) Going to start the painting soon.

STewart

DSCN3691.jpg

DSCN3692.jpg

DSCN3693.jpg

DSCN3694.jpg

DSCN3696.jpg

DSCN3697.jpg

Body work is complete!!! I made a cowl induction scoop in the hood. Next, the paint goes on. Going to be a 2-tone lime pearl/metallic black scheme. Decided on an engine too. It is going to have a custom intake similar to the sonoramic long ram intakes on Mopar 383s of old. [:D] It is a 440 with a modern pulley system and mopar 4-speed.

STewart

P1030309.jpg

Engine

P1030303.jpg

P1030304.jpg

Chassis

P1030305.jpg

Hood and completed body: hood is removable

P1030306.jpg

P1030307.jpg

P1030308.jpg

STewart

• 1 month later...

It has been a while but I have done some serious work on this. First of all, the body is nearly complete. It was my first time airbrushing a paint job and it turned out ok but for some reason, it attracted a lot of unwanted particles in the paint job. But for my first custom airbrush job, I think it lookes pretty good. I like the colors. the engine is also nearing completion. I decided to use the pulley system from the Revell Saleen speedster to give my Mopar 440 big block a more modern look. I also used the manifold and part of the air filter from that kit as well as the supercharger and my own custom bits.

However, I have run into another problem. The wheels are about a quarter inch to small. They don't look quite right. I might have to go with another combo. I will look at what pegasus has and hope theirs are a little larger.

STewart

P1030431.jpg

P1030430.jpg

P1030429.jpg

P1030428.jpg

P1030427.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, it is all finished. The chassis from the dodge Ram VTS actually required quite a bit of modifying to make it fit the new single cab dakota. rear axle was moved forward and so were the front wheels. The engine is a supercharged 440 with a modern intake and serpentine belt system. Wheels are from the Revell Dodge viper SRT10 kit and sprayed metallic black.

STewart

DSC00297.jpg

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00293.jpg