Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks! i put it down in strips to coincide with the panel lines! Made it a lot easier.The wing insignias are not decals,I used a circle template to paint the white discs and then put star stickers in the center.I then painted the blue.Came out pretty good!

Phillip, that's a beautiful job! I've been building foil finished aircraft for over 25 years, and nothing looks better than real aluminum to replicate natural metal finishes. I had actually started to build the same kit in the same way, but at the time, I had a roommate with cats that played with and hid a number of key parts (my fault for not packing my work area away better; I got sidetracked by a Saturday night beer and darts party my roommate had in our apt.), so it went into the abandoned project pile. No doubt, cats and models don't mix well. (As with beer and darts, lol!)

Well done; I love the pre-war "yellow wings." I have a Grumman XF5F I've been slowly working on, but that will be finished in Tamiya Gloss Aluminum, as that's how Grumman painted it, along with the yellow wings.

Edited by Jim Gibbons