Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dad's Chi-Town Hustler

Dragline

I bought 2 Chi-Town kits a while back. One for my Pops and another for me. I built Pop's first since it is not as detailed as I plan on mine. It was also a great way to grok the kit. In terms of engineering and execution this kit is the best AA/FC I have ever had the pleasure to assemble. Wonderful in every respect. I did sit the body hinges a little too deep and the body doesn't come up quite as high as it should before the fender hits the slick. When building it, just set them in place loosly [easily done] and set your ride height. Mark where they need to be then glue em in.

2w1t5kj.jpg

5pg774.jpg

I took liberties on the paint with Duplicolor GM Cayenne Red and Testors 1814 clear enamel. Gorgeous color if a little on the browner side of Candy Apple. My build will use Tamiya TS-18. On my build I may go with turned fuel and oil tanks since they will be plumbed. This should be easy to detail the HECK outta.. I used the decals for the windows and while they are just OK, a Sharpie and silver rivets will be much more convincing.

2kpkyq.jpg

14o9g78.jpg

2cwwpkh.jpg

The decals are outstanding in every way, but I dislike the molded in restraints like most do. On mine I'll be filling and sanding them out for PE pieces. I messed around with the wheels to give it an Old School/New School look. I'll replace the rears on my build.

This kit practically falls together and was a joy to build.

Pop's is looking for the package at the start of the new week. He's stoked.

Bob

Yep Aaron, I only just noticed I didn't drill em out... My Dad has 100's of my builds at his house and he's always anxious to add to his collection so I kind of rushed this one. He's not a total stickler for authenticity like I tend to be, so the headers and color choice are not biggies for him. I'm going for the vintage car on my build.

Good eyes...

Bob

Really nice work! I like what you did with the wheels. And that color looks great in the pictures! I am actually building mine right now, and used Tamiya TS-39 Mica Red, and then used 3-4 coats of duplicolor Metalcast red, and finished it off with 5 coats of duplicolor clear. It has a very deep candy apple red color, which is much more on the red side of things.

I`m not sure I understand what you did with the body. Is that the height the kit builds into out of the box, or do you have the body lower in the rear?

Hawk, the 2 pivot points for the body flip ups are not part of the interior tin, but are seperate pieces that slide into channels in the tin. They can be placed deeper up into the channels or can be slid up and down. What that means is the rear of the body will sit where you want it to [within the limits of the channel]. It can be higher in the back or lower as mine is. It looks killer lower like I have it but the trade off is the body will not come up as high as it may to display the chassis. The back portion of the wheel opening hits the tire limiting the up position.

I have them all the way buried in their channels not realizing they were made that way for rear ride height.

Bob

A couple more glamour shots and one about those channels I was talking about.

First, the channels.

2j0gh6v.jpg

You can see how they are 2 seperate pieces. It's clear they slide into the channels provided. All you have to do is take em out a bit for a higher rear stance. These are buried to the hilt and I can still get the body bar into the space provided for it so I may be not all that off. It's just the the wheel opening hits the tire in the rear.

2433v5e.jpg

qzhjrm.jpg

No biggie really but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I love the backwards Champion decal on the passengers side. Classic.

Bob

Edited by Dragline