Model Cars Magazine Forum

1987 Buick Grand National

slant6

This is one of my all time favorite cars. But being me I'd never leave any of my favorite cars (or any of my cars for that matter) factory stock. So, I decided to attempt some custom work. I got a Flat head V12 for the power plant.

IMG_6369.jpg

An Amp, some subs, and of course NOS

IMG_6389.jpg

This is the "Donks" kit from Revell, so It has different suspensions, I'm using the stock in front and raised in the back, both with the larger wheels

IMG_6365.jpg

Cut out some T-tops and cut opened the trunk

IMG_6367.jpg

Made a custom cowl for the hood

IMG_6380.jpg

I'm not sure how many picture will fit in one post, so I'll continue it in the next.

On the interior, I built a sub box in the trunk and covered the floor.

IMG_6383.jpg

Removed the back seat and put in an opening to view the subs through, and a space to mount the NOS tanks on

IMG_6385.jpg

One with the glass in

IMG_6391.jpg

I found some nice exhaust tips in a parts box, and used some solder to make straight pipes

IMG_6395.jpg

I had to move the engine mounts to fit the V12, and I ran the spark plugs complete with spark plug boots cut from some scrap wire insulation.

IMG_6398.jpg

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all that the members here have helped me so much.

Edited by slant6

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching this project, it looks very good. Don't like the wheels and tires, but that engine detailing looks very good. All work with the trunk also has not gone waste! Good job with it, can't wait to see it finished.

coming along nicely, great details and definitely unique with that engine!

any ideas of what color you are going to paint it?

It is painted, its Model Master Gunmetal. It didnt come out quite the way I had envisioned, but I think once it all comes together it'll look pretty nice.

Were did you get the parts for the LED lights? or are you using a pre made system? btw you Have an Excellent Build going there.

The LED is just leftover from a remote starter at work, the battery is out of one of the remotes. There is a momentary micro switch mounted under the car

A few years back I'd asked some folks on a forum (SA I think) if anyone had ever taken a newer vehicle and made a REAL retro. Add a flattie, wide whites, dummy spots etc. Everyone puts new tech in old cars, why not the reverse? The responce, was near unanimous.

They all thought I was nuts.

Thought you aughta know. :blink:

Interesting build. its a nice mix of old and new. I've always liked this gen Buick and its about time someone did something different to one.

Jantrix, the ironic part about that is SA photographed a New Beetle that I did exactly that to. I took the Revell kit and added louvers to the trunk lid, sunk a moon tank into the front bumper, put wide whites and cheater slicks on five spoke mags, huge exhaust tips out back and finished it off in flat black with red and white interior.

B)

A few years back I'd asked some folks on a forum (SA I think) if anyone had ever taken a newer vehicle and made a REAL retro. Add a flattie, wide whites, dummy spots etc. Everyone puts new tech in old cars, why not the reverse? The responce, was near unanimous.

They all thought I was nuts.

Thought you aughta know. :lol:

As much as we hate to admit it, the technilogical advances of the last 70 years are real- as in the 1:1 world not many are willing to perform extensive modifications to make their vehicle slower, take a longer distance to stop, handle worse, and generally be less safe or comfortable

One of the main goals of hot rodders has been to increase performance

B)

As much as we hate to admit it, the technilogical advances of the last 70 years are real- as in the 1:1 world not many are willing to perform extensive modifications to make their vehicle slower, take a longer distance to stop, handle worse, and generally be less safe or comfortable

One of the main goals of hot rodders has been to increase performance

on a unrelated note, volkswagen is backdating the technology on thier next generation jetta by about 20 years to make it more apealing to the US market

just two changes are the 3 (or 4 cant remember) link suspension will be replaced with A-arms and instead of running disc brakes on all 4s they will be putting drums on the backwheels again