Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 75 Chevy Blazer

Ron Hamilton

1975 Chevy Blazer -RC2 (AMT/Ertl) A790 - 1/25 Scale 42 Pieces and Decals, Straight Reissue

AMT-38597-2.jpg

It's very interesting that the model companies are going into their "vaults" to re-tool and re-issue kits that have been out of their lines for over a decade. Over the past couple of years, the modeling community has gotten re-issues of the 1971 Chevy K-5 Blazer, and the 1978 Ford Bronco from AMT/Ertl. A big thanks goes out to Dave Burkett for having the foresight to market these kits. The 1975 Chevy Blazer kit is one of the old tools which languished in the RC2 archives for years, finally re-released to us hungry modelers.

This kit was in the MPC line as one of their "Super Snap" model kits. Assembling one of these kits negated the use of any glue, as the assemblies were snap, or press fit. Simplicity is the key. Normally, I would not even consider such a kit to build, as it has very little challenge to me, as it was a curbside (No under-hood detail), but recently, curbside kits have come very appealing, in that the build time is short, the fit problems are minimal, and the subject matter is fantastic. I cannot remember the last time that a 1975 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer was available in a 1/25 scale kit form.

In examining this kit, this vehicle represents a 1975 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer 4x4, in the "Custom Deluxe" (base) trim level, with a few factory options (hardtop and chromed bumpers), aftermarket items (custom steering wheel, chromed push bar, sunroof, chromed wagon wheels and oversized tires) and emergency vehicle equipment (Bar light, fog/driving lights, whip CB radio antenna) added for interest. In looking at this kit, I was a little disappointed, in that the vehicle represents a mildly modified “emergency†vehicle. A little modification and kit-bashing is in order if I wanted to build a "Replica Stock" off of the dealership's lot vehicle.

The rolling stock consists of a set of aftermarket, chromed Wagon Style Steel wheels, mounted on what represents a set of worn two-piece Goodyear 33" Tires. Curiously, the tires are body colored hard plastic, so the modeler must paint them in order for them to look a little realistic. On the real vehicle, the front brakes are disc type, and the rear tires are drum, neither of which are represented, even though the inner half of the kit tires are closed in. The wheel/tire assembly snaps onto a one piece front and rear drive axle assembly, which in turn press fit into machined holes in the well engraved chassis plate.

The interior assembly consists of a pair of two-piece front bucket seats, and a two-piece rear bench seat, which press fit onto the bosses on the floorboard of the one-piece interior tub. An aftermarket custom steering wheel/column mounts into the dashboard, which snaps into a slot in the interior tub. The interior finish is finished up with the insertion of a chromed 4-wheel drive lever.

The body assembly consists of a one-piece body with the hardtop, and the hood molded in. The one-piece "glass" unit consists of the windshield, rear quarter windows, a tailgate window, and an after market sunroof, which mounts into the body. The sunroof opening is molded open, along with holes for the side view mirrors, CB radio antenna, and the roof mounted bar light. I wish that the manufacturer would have allowed the modeler to open these holes up themselves by flashing them over. The chromed rear bumper mounts on pegs at the rear of the body, as does the chromed headlamps/grille and the chromed front bumper/push bar combination. The roof mounted driving lights, the side view mirrors, and 5-piece bar light assembly round out the assembly. A set of optional fictitious emergency vehicle decals finish off the model.

The model seems to have the right look of the 1975 Chevy Blazer, and with a little body-work (seam removal and hole filling), careful assembly and a good paint job will a pretty nice shelf model. The Replica Stock builder, and the more adventurous modeler will do a little research on the real car, go to their parts box, kit bash, and add a few aftermarket items to make this one pop.

Thank you RC2 for reissuing this kit.

Ron Hamilton

• 2 weeks later...

Got mine yesterday..dissapointed to see the bull bar molded into the front bumper. I have an original issue molded in yellow somewhere in my stash, and I don't think it had the bull bar molded to the bumper..

I'll have to swap the tires for something nicer and fill in the holes on the body, but it should build up to a neat kit.

• 6 years later...

product.jpg

Originally posted as an April release (I think), this has now been pushed back to June. I have my order in with my LHS and he said I should get it around this time next month. That being said, the older reissues of this kit (see my history thread) have started showing up on eBay as folks are trying to unload them now before the value drops...!

I built a first issue of this Rescue version. And have the "Hot Trucks 1975 Blazer" issue to build!!

Curious to see if this one gets molded in White only, or all 3 original colors!

My Oldie had Only a White body. Interior was molded in Tan, chassis, tires and some small parts were black

Plus the Chrome parts.

Also Will we get the extra Gumball Rotator Dome caps this time??

I got 6 of them in the AMT 75 Blazer issue!!!

Too bad there weren't any Chrome bases for them!.

Now, Since getting this one & the Willy's Panel re-issued from this series, What about the

40 Ford Fire Chief

And 49/50 Merc Police?? I know the grill is a 49, but read somewhere the front fender trim is actually

from a '50.

I have a buildup of that kit that I got in a trade some time ago. I wish that Round2 would get rid of the molded in push bar and the sunroof. But, looks like it's going to be a straight reissue. I'll still pick one up if it's priced right.

From what I can tell this will be a straight reissue of the older MPC Rescue Van with the three coloured plastic and not the Hot Trucks version which was all one colour. Doing something with the bumper would be nice as well as rubber tires, but I digress...

I have 6 of the pickup kits I can bash together with this so I will be picking up a couple! B)

Neat lil snapper kit i had, back in '79.

As mention; reissued a few years back in Hot Truck series box with all Rescue parts & decals.

Will surely be made in 3 colors ...Wish Round2 opted for the original 1979 ed box.

...'40 Ford coupe "Fire Chief" iz the only one missing in the seriese ;)

I will probably pick one of these up and bash some parts with the Revell GMC Plow kit to create something different.

Just to warn you, most of the parts from the GMC plow kit won't work on this kit as they are different scales. The plow will probably mate up with some effort. Wheels and tires would probably be the only other thing that would fit.

Just to warn you, most of the parts from the GMC plow kit won't work on this kit as they are different scales. The plow will probably mate up with some effort. Wheels and tires would probably be the only other thing that would fit.

Thanks, I was thinking of swapping some wheels/tires and the plow parts to re-create a friends' old truck.

The wheels/tires from the GMC plow might work, but I don't think the Blazers ever came stock with 8-lug axles.

The Blazer did not have 8 lug wheels, nor did the 1/2 ton trucks that the Revell 77 GMC are supposed to replicate. I have some older 6 lug wheels in the spares box that will be used on this kit. It is disappointing that this kit is being reissued with plastic tires but thankfully there are options to replace them!

product.jpg

Originally posted as an April release (I think), this has now been pushed back to June. I have my order in with my LHS and he said I should get it around this time next month. That being said, the older reissues of this kit (see my history thread) have started showing up on eBay as folks are trying to unload them now before the value drops...!

My local hobby shop had two on the shelf yesterday

• 9 months later...