Model Cars Magazine Forum

There has been much discussion in other topics on the forum about a certain make and type of engine not available to modellers at this time. From the comments it looks like modellers would be interested in such an engine so I decided to build one. For obvious reasons I will not make any reference to a make or model. This 1/25 scale engine is based on the big horsepower engines of the early 1970s. Those familiar with trucks from this period will know which make and model it is based on. When I get it finished we will see if there is enough interest to get it cast. Builders can call it what ever make and model they want, but we will refer to it as the Project 4 1/4 (425HP) The parts are held in place by small dowels.

So far the top half of the engine is nearly complete. I just have some bolt details to add to the aftercooler. Next part I think will be the block. For reference in the photo's I have a resin 3406 so you can see the differences.

post-210-022576400 1289118347_thumb.jpg

post-210-002591100 1289118245_thumb.jpg

More photo's and details here:

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/project-4-14/

Dave

Interesting project Dave. I suspect many would like such an engine considering its use in the vintage of trucks represented by available kits. Were there significant physical differences between the mechanical version and electronic version of the engine in question?

Bryan

Many Thanks for the kind words.

As far as differences between our Project engine and the electonic (Hocus Pocus) engines, you have to include all the 3406 models in this. There are no similarities what so ever. They are entirely different. That is why all the parts for the project engine will have to be scratch built. You could I suppose use the altenator (generator), air con pump, power steering pump etc from an existing kit but these are just one or two parts. The head assembly alone will be 10 parts. This engine will have the brake saver as well. Its important to break the engine down into individual parts and assemblies. This way we will retain important details and features. This makes the engine more interesting and gives the builder more satisfaction. If the engine was cast in one it would be very poor detail and builders would not want to build the engine since they would have to spend a lot of time reworking everything to apply the details.

As the project develops we can assess whether it will be suitable for casting. This is the intention. But there has to be the demand and the interest there. I need 2 engines for a couple of little window 359 Pete's. So there's a start. Remember this project is not just for my benefit its for all truck model enthusiasts.

Thanks again.

Dave

Jim,

Good idea about contacting Howard at KFS. I'll send him an E-mail and see what response I get.

I made some more progress this week! The engine block is started and the fan and crank damper are almost complete. I'm not going to finish all parts until I know that they all fit and they look right. Still alot of work to do but its starting to look like an engine.

post-210-092341700 1289746872_thumb.jpg

post-210-084277900 1289746912_thumb.jpg

More photo's here:

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/project-4-14/

Dave

Tony, Jim,

Thanks for the comments. More progress has been made. I have been concentrating on how the engine will fit in a truck frame. The two frames in mind are both the two AMT T500 and T501 frames. I have had to make dedicated crossmembers for each frame to fit the engine. Its been an imortant exercise because I found one or two places where the engine clashed with frame parts so some slight adjustments will be required. Anyways its starting to shape up nicely.

post-210-034245400 1290335627_thumb.jpg

More photo's and description here:

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/project-4-14/img00420-20101121-0840.html

Thanks for looking.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month since the last update. Lots of things have been done since then. The first was that I was not happy with the width of the engine. It was to wide for the AMT Pete 359. So I decided to build a new block which would be thiner at the bottom. This was critical because it meant that the water pump and cooler would fit between the frames without interfering with the flanges on the rails. The actual water pump and cooler is about the 5th attempt. It has been a pain to get it something like. The sump had to be thinned down to fit the new block. But it has all been worth it. The engine now fits between the 359 frame rails. There was another problem I encountered, that was the new frame stretcher at the front of the frame that carries the engine was incorrect. When installed it interfered with the shocker on the driverside. So I modified the stretcher and front engine mounting. All fits OK now. I have been contemplating modifications to the cylinder head and exhaust system to make them more compact and fit within the 56 in overall height envelope. I need to look at this in more detail. Its important that I get the proportions as near as possible to ensure that builders can fit it into the truck of their desire. But be warned this is a big engine it would have only been fitted in certain model trucks and then with modifications.

post-210-0-02148800-1292872895_thumb.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/project-4-14/img00560-20101220-1113.html

Thanks for looking

Dave

Edited by Old Albion