Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,

When I get the engine finished and out of the way I have a couple of Cummins KTA engines that need the exhaust manifold and turbocharger to be modified/corrected. I will detail this once I get this project done. Its pretty straight forward just requires a little time and planning out.

As regards to the engine it really is moving on. Almost there just some details to add and thats it.

http://images57.fotki.com/v505/photos/2/1007832/9221989/011-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dave

• 1 month later...

Well I'm pleased to say the engine is now finished. Its been quite an interesting project and I did enjoy it but I'm glad its done.

My part in this project is now finished. The reason I built the engine initially was because I needed a couple of engines for two 359 Pete's I wanted to build. Since there was no aftermarket engine available it had to be scratch built. Having gone to all the trouble of scratch building it would have been a shame not to get it cast. Anyone interested in getting hold of an engine needs to contact Howard at Kit Form Services.

http://images114.fotki.com/v145/photos/2/1007832/9221989/IMG00597201101251210-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/project-4-14/img00597-20110125-1210.html

Thanks again for all the kind words.

Dave

Thanks for the comments.

Bryan,

I worked from sketches and drawings that I produced from photo's and information in the makers manuals that I bought. There are no drawings made available to the public by the manufacturer, but in the manuals you do get some sectional drawings of various components. From these you can scale the overall sizes, but you have to be aware some of these are not scaled. You do spend a lot of time and effort just researching working out where this and that goes.

Doug,

They were certainly fitted into the WF COE. Be carefull though it is a big engine and you may need to make some modifications to get it in the frame. Watch the turbocharger system with the dog house, The oil filters were removed from the side of the engine and fitted to the frame rail near the rear spring hanger on the drivers side. The altenator and air compressor were fitted in different positions than the prototype that I built. Looking at the front of the engine. The aircon compressor was fitted at the bottom right, the altenator was fitted at the top right.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 6 months later...

Well the engines has now been cast and is available from Howard at KFS (www.kitformservices.com) Howard sent me some sample units and I have assembled one so far. The quality of the castings is very good indeed with very minimal cleanup. As you can see from the photo's it goes together very well. It is painted white because it will be fitted in a 1972 Peterbilt 359. The weathering helps to bring out the detail and gives it a more realistic appearance. The quality of the photo's is not good they were taken inside and I'm no expert at photography. When the sun comes out I'll get some shots outside. This then for me brings this project to a finish. There are other engines planned for the future. I have a couple of British engines prototypes to do for Howard and then maybe an Allis Chalmers 25000 series engine (The purple one). Anyways thanks for looking and if you get the engine have fun building.

IMG00853201108101433-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

035-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

The engine looks great.

There are other engines planned for the future. I have a couple of British engines prototypes to do for Howard and then maybe an Allis Chalmers 25000 series engine (The purple one). Anyways thanks for looking and if you get the engine have fun building.

Any chance one of the British engines is a Perkins P6.354? They were an optional engine in the Dodge L series and would make a neat option for the Lindberg kit.

I have been watching this project long before I became a member of this forum and I have to say that it is a gorgeous engine. Now, as I am not that familiar with American truck engines, I defintely cannot tell the make and model. But I would like to know. If you cannot say this in public, would a PM work? Or a link to the real thing? Just curious, that´s all.

Thanks.

Aaron,

The two engines will be Gardner 6LXB (180) and the 8LXB (240). I must admit I never thought of the Perkins 6354. Its possible sometime in the future. Perkins engines were very common in Britain in both trucks and Agricultural tractors.

Jarda,

As for the make and type I'll let everyone work it out for themselves. I think my opening post expains everything. Mark is right it is no Clatterpillar 3406. Earlier than that!!

Dave

Edited by Old Albion

Dad has some stories of the old 4&1/4.....he ran a 3408 in his 1974 K100 and told of a guy flat walking away from him with another K100 pushing a 4&1/4. Guy told dad later that stock it was good, but his had been further modified to run with some of the other 'Big Hammer' guys out there.

Excellent recreation of this 70s iconic engine........had I a truck worthy to drop it into I would like one for future use.