Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Plymouth GTX

A B-Body Mopar Build Off has begun on the Spotlight Hobbies forum. My entry is a 1972 Plymouth GTX. I'm starting with a previously built MPC 1971 Road Runner annual with 1972 bumpers from The Modelhaus. The hood is Bandit Resins MPC 1971 GTX part. The grille, taillights and rear valance are from a warped AFX resin 1972 Road Runner that I have had for years.

DSCN0498-vi.jpg

DSCN0497-vi.jpg

The wheels are Aoshima Gram Lights R57 GT's. My inspiration for this build is this...

GTXR-vi.jpg

...except for the white wheels. Think I'll stay with silver. :D

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Been working on the 1972 GTX all weekend. For starters, I have the bodywork completed and primer applied.

DSCN0508-vi.jpg

The 1971 side markers have been filled, seam lines removed, and glue damage repaired. While the paint stripped clean, there was significant glue damage behind the rear window and on the front cowl where the glass was attached. Some glue even ran down the left rear quarter and did some damage.

I removed the molded-in "440" callout on the Bandit Resin hood. A HEMI will reside under that hood so I will resort to decals for the "HEMI" callout.

DSCN0502-vi.jpg

I am using the original kit's chassis. This kit was built without an engine so glue damage was very minimal. I started with smoothing the inner fenders, then I added a strip of .060" styrene so the inner fenders would mate with the body. Resin cast shock towers were added. Smooth underhood details are the norm with custom street machines these days. Great pains are taken to hide all wiring, fuel lines, etc.

DSCN0503-vi.jpg

The smoothing was carried thru to the firewall. I removed the molded in brake booster and master cylinder and replacement parts and a wiper motor were found in an AMT 1971 Charger R/T kit.

DSCN0504-vi.jpg

That's it for tonight's update. More to come...

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Did something tonight that I have not done in nearly four years. I fired up the compressor, hooked up my Paasche airbrush, and shot some HOK paint thru it. I have nearly 50 different colors of HOK paint in my shop, so I decided it was time to start using it. I also haven't used my Paasche except for detail painting. My previous airbrush jobs were done with a Testors Aztek. For the 1972 GTX, I picked HOK Kosmic Red. Here's a teaser of the color that I shot over Tamiya Fine White Primer.

DSCN0509-vi.jpg

DSCN0510-vi.jpg

No clear yet, just the HOK. My LHS sells Black Gold HOK paints so I have accumulated my collection over eight years. I also have a few bottles of Cobra Colors and this summer started buying Scalefinishes.com paints. So, this one will be good practice for many more airbrush paints in 2011 and beyond.

Enjoy!!!

Got the interior painted this weekend. Used the same House of Kolor Kosmic Red but over grey primer with semi-gloss and flat clears. Picked up some Ken's Fuzzy Fur #138 Dark Red which is a near perfect match.

DSCN0512-vi.jpg

I cleared the firewall and inner fenders with Tamiya TS-13. The remainder of the chassis is ready for paint.

DSCN0515-vi.jpg

Body work is completed and the body now wears Tamiya Fine White Primer and awaits final polishing before it gets covered with Kosmic Red.

Enjoy!!!

The wheels are Aoshima Gram Lights R57 GT's. My inspiration for this build is this......except for the white wheels. Think I'll stay with silver. B)

You're doing an excellent job building my favorite Prue Vision car... I've seen this car in person and the white wheels really make it stand out. I like the wheels you picked out, but I think they would look really cool in white too. Just my opinion....

Keep up the good work!

I got the GTX painted this week. My first airbrush job in four years. Paint is HOK Kosmic Red over Tamiya white primer base. One coat of Tamiya TS-13 clear so far that serves as a base for decal application. I'll be applying Keith Marks decals later in the week followed by more TS-13 clear.

DSCN0519-vi.jpg

DSCN0520-vi.jpg

I'm starting to think those white wheels would look real good!!!

Enjoy!!!