Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

The interior is nearly complete. I added a strip of the leopard decal to the dash for continuity. I also put a photoetched air vent on, added backs to the dash-top gauges and wired them. Still have to put on photo-etched radio and AC faces.

DSCN4257.jpg

DSCN4258.jpg

I built up a steering wheel I had from MAS and made my own steering column from aluminum tubing and made a shifter from styrene rod and a little brass tubing.

DSCN4259.jpg

As an extra touch, I made a small coffee thermos from aluminum tubing and plastic and put it in one of the cup-holders.

DSCN4260.jpg

STewart

Wow, I have to get a chance to sit down at the desk and get building, things are looking great guys! I've just been so busy lately I haven't even had the chance to read through new posts for almost two weeks! I'm trying to get things sorted out to go back to school after 17 years so I can finally get some college learnin done. :lol: On top of that, my better half is picking up more time at work, which means my alter ego Russian taxi driver Piccup Androppov is busier driving her back and forth to work. Also the technical support department has been busy with my mother in law's computer, while still trying to reinstall everything on my main computer from the virus attack I had and not to mention the better half's boss's computer that is here to see if my still to be college educated brain is smart enough to fix it! :P

Anyway, the weather is finally warming up here, so I hope to get some building and painting done soon, and maybe get some of the much needed work on my 1:1 rig that has piled up over the winter done, too!

My first addition to this build Scania 142 H Wrecker

This painted with all Duplicolor paints

cab and wrecker bed in : Duplicolor yellow

frame wrecker unit in : Duplicolor

interier with : Duplicolor Grey primer

seats and bunks with : testors cloth gray

engine : duplicolor detroit green close to Scania enginge green

engine has all fuel lines and frame all brake lines

winches are detailed and sanded down and added cables left over from the Can Do wrecker

pics

th_DSC00271.jpg

th_DSC00270.jpg

th_DSC00269.jpg

th_DSC00268.jpg

th_DSC00267.jpg

th_DSC00266.jpg

th_DSC00265.jpg

th_DSC00275.jpg

th_DSC00274.jpg

th_DSC00273.jpg

Edited by Madd Trucker

Yeah, sure, Clay, I'll allow it. But what happened to the decals in the second pic? :rolleyes: I want to see this loaded with Roscoe's police cars! :P:lol:

hey i just found this but it doesnt seem to be tolate for me i will get pics soon to see if the model i am going to build will be allowed!

its one of the (newest) issue of the snap pete thats painted similar to clays but i dont have the decals on interior needs painted and assembled paint work needs another coat and some small errors fixed chrome work needs done error on back portion of frame needs fixed trailer needs built ( its going to be the rvg car hauler trailer 6 cars) roscoes car (need to get) daisys plymouth (need to get)... yes there will be a general lee on it (amt) a what if general lee will be on it daisys jeep and i may pick up another roscoes patrol car to make it enos's patrol car to put on it so as it sounds i need to get acouple more kits plus i gotta lot of work ahead of me yet!

again pics will be coming soon! to see what you think!

hey i just found this but it doesnt seem to be tolate for me i will get pics soon to see if the model i am going to build will be allowed!

its one of the (newest) issue of the snap pete thats painted similar to clays but i dont have the decals on interior needs painted and assembled paint work needs another coat and some small errors fixed chrome work needs done error on back portion of frame needs fixed trailer needs built ( its going to be the rvg car hauler trailer 6 cars) roscoes car (need to get) daisys plymouth (need to get)... yes there will be a general lee on it (amt) a what if general lee will be on it daisys jeep and i may pick up another roscoes patrol car to make it enos's patrol car to put on it so as it sounds i need to get acouple more kits plus i gotta lot of work ahead of me yet!

again pics will be coming soon! to see what you think!

The more the merrier, Sean! I'll get you added to the list. :o

great work Madd really turned out great

Yes, nice work Richard! :blink: I was wondering though, did you post any starting pics or did I just miss them and not edit the list? It's no big deal, I just wanted to know if I goofed and the CRS kicked in again! :lol::lol::o:blink::huh:

Highway no I dint post any starting pics just what was built and painted will post some of the finished truck soon

No problem, and I can't wait to see it finished! :lol: That Scania is one of the very few foreign trucks I really like.

I finally got the photoetch saws by MCG. Detail Master was out and didn't contact me until a couple weeks after my order. Don't know what's with that. :lol::unsure: So I ordered them from Scale Dreams Friday and got them today. They work very well. All of the doors and the hood have been removed and the body will be ready for paint very soon. I also cut out the moon roof and used one of the moon roof frames from another kit. The old window had sink marks on it so I cut out a new one from clear styrene.

DSCN4261.jpg

DSCN4256.jpg

I also finished modifying the grille. I added a new surround and as soon as I have stripped the chrome off and painted it with alclad, I am going to install a wire mesh center section.

DSCN4262.jpg

STewart

I like the mesh grill. Turned out pretty good.

I have the body mostly painted. It just needs some clear and it will be done. Painted it with Boyd's orange pearl. I have the grille mostly finished but the bumper needs a coat of alclad chrome. Still working on the interior. Going to start putting "goodies" in the back so I can install the bucket once the body work is done.

STewart

DSCN4272.jpg

DSCN4271.jpg

DSCN4270.jpg

Have a little more done. I started putting on the decals from the kit and have the interior pretty much complete. However, I ran into a glitch with the decals. They were old and instead of laying down nicely, they wrinkled badly and have areas of slightly opaque white which is the glue I am assuming. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this? I would really like to use these decals.

DSCN4274.jpg

DSCN4275.jpg

The hood decal went on fine. Probably because it is just smaller.

DSCN4273.jpg

Almost all of the parts are on the shelves in the back. I made a strapping system with a strip of styrene with holes drilled into it every 1/4" and glued onto the sides of the interior. I made small hooks out of wire and used black masking tape for straps. You can sort of see it holding up the upright axle and steering arm in next to the shelving.

DSCN4277.jpg

DSCN4276.jpg

Interior basically complete. Have to finish the seat belts but that is all.

DSCN4278.jpg

DSCN4279.jpg

STewart

It might be too late depending on how soon you read this and how long it's already been since you applied the decals, but you might want to try using a damp (not wet, just damp) paper towel to EASILY work the wrinkles out. That might also help work the extra glue out, too. I'm not sure if it will work or not, but it's worth a try.

Also, just if it doesn't and the off chance you can find another set of those decals, scan them on your computer and get some decal paper if you don't have some already. I have started to scan all my decals just for this reason, that way if the originals do like they did to you, I can try to make more.

Thank you Highway. I have already tried working out the wrinkles but they got worse as the decal dried and would not come out. Also, I do have some decal paper and could have shot myself when this happened and I had not scanned them. :lol: Thanks so much for the help though.

STewart

Thank you Highway. I have already tried working out the wrinkles but they got worse as the decal dried and would not come out. Also, I do have some decal paper and could have shot myself when this happened and I had not scanned them. :lol: Thanks so much for the help though.

STewart

I hope your want add can get you some new ones, it looks great with the graphics.

Very good news. Last night, I put future on the decals because I have heard that it works well for fixing decals that won't set right. After I got home from work today, I went out and looked at the body and it looks much better. Most of the wrinkles were gone and the decals were clear. I just have to work out the few remaining wrinkles.

STewart

Ok Matt, with all the FOX builds and the KW W900A build going........I think I might have to join this one as well. Reason? AMT re-issues the KW K123 and the Fruehauf Beaded Panel Dry Van kits (and I found a Thermo King unit off the original Reefer Fruehauf trailer). Why does this matter?

vvv................................................................................vvv

FACheesetruck.jpg

This is a pic my sister sent me of dads Semi around 1976 or so. It is a 1974ish K123 with a Cat 3408 and Torsion Bar rear suspension. The trailer is a Fruehauf reefer unit. I have talked to Eric (of Porkys) and he has the Torsion Bar system in resin. I can get the Budd 2-holers and some of the other little things to build this truck. I think Eric is also sending me the 3408, so it is completely buildable.

Personally, I think this is a very nice looking truck (especially for back in 1976-77).

Have a lot done. The interior bucket is in and I am working on the door hinges. They are glued in and I now need to glue the doors on. This is the first time I have done anything like this so I will see how it turns out. I used a paper clip and plastic tubing to make them.

DSCN4317.jpg

DSCN4309.jpg

DSCN4294.jpg

I still have a little to do on the grille but it has been sprayed with alclad. Here is a mockup with the wheels sitting in place. The hood is sitting funny so that it doesn't fall inside. :lol:

DSCN4297.jpg

DSCN4293.jpg

Here is the engine bay. I still need to add details. Fortunately, I have a van of my own to go on and see what I need to put in it. ;) The engine still needs its dual K&N air filters and a few other odds and ends before it is done.

DSCN4298.jpg

STewart

Still trying to figure out the rear door hinges. I have put the interior panel on one of the doors. Here is a picture of the rear with hinges installed. Instead of a bumper I decided to use old style bumperettes. I put a piece of styrene rod in my dremel and rounded it. I then painted it rubber and put it in a piece of aluminum tubing.

STewart

DSCN4318.jpg

DSCN4319.jpg