Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

I have a little question, my boyfriend doesnt use the computer but i want him to start looking at these sites, he loves building models, he likes building military vehicles and vans, he wont let me post his models on here because he said there not as good as everybody elses. But if i can get him involved in a comunity build maybe he will start to get involved in this site, now my question, 1) can the the truck be a military type, 2) can it be any size, thank you

Sure, Shelly, not a problem, that was what the Interstate system was originally built for, military movements. I couldn't even begin to even try to count how many military convoys I've shared the roads with through my career.

I did want to know what do you mean by any size. If you mean any size scale of kit, any scale is fine. Any size truck is fine, too.

Our fine men and women who serve our country are always welcome at the MCM Truck Stop, no matter what they're driving! :(

Edited by highway

I have a little question, my boyfriend doesnt use the computer but i want him to start looking at these sites, he loves building models, he likes building military vehicles and vans, he wont let me post his models on here because he said there not as good as everybody elses. But if i can get him involved in a comunity build maybe he will start to get involved in this site, now my question, 1) can the the truck be a military type, 2) can it be any size, thank you

Tell him top join up and show his work. WE have kids to seniors here at all lvls. of experience. I'm not at the top, nor the bottom and I learn something new all the time on here that makes me a better builder. Some give great critique and tell you tricks and help you to improve and come up with ideas you just don't think about sometimes. Heck, just read this thread alone. I only drove a truck for one year and I'm not as knowledgeable about the rigs like some are on here, and as you can see, they answer my questions and help point me in the right direction so I can make mine as accurate and as detailed as I want them to be. It's a great place, so he should jump in here and build something and post it up the pics.

The square pods are the tach-0-graphs.

Heres one I found on a Google search.....It looks similar to what is on the kit dash.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2009/08/betcha-never-seen-this-speedometer-and.html

Heres a Wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachograph

And a manufacturer

http://www.atrol.com/tachograph.htm

Thanks for locating those. I do have one more stupid question though. I don't see a use for two of those in a truck, so what would have been on the second pod? Maybe a regular full size speedo? Seems like trying to read that tachograph would be a little hard to do at speed down a busy hwy with a loaded rig. After looking at it again, my guess would be a normal tachometer since it does not have one, just the clock and speedo. Going to have to fire up the printer and see if I can make one to fit now.

Edited by dwc43

Count me in on this one.

Im doing a White Freightliner Cabover and the trailer im not too sure on yet but its going to be a reefer.

Also, I have 1 question. Are we allowed to start the build now or do we have to wait til Jan 1st?

Sure thing, Justin, I have you added and I'll update it when you decide on the trailer, and yes, you can start now. :D

I want to add this to my list and yes i am starting another one.I can't help it when i have an idea i go and work on it.I like to have a bunch of projects going so when you are waiting on something else you can work on another.

I started out with a revell australian long nose kenworth and wanted to make a day cab out of it and stretch the frame because i love to do that. Here is what i was going for and what i have done so far.

9754.jpg

9752.jpg

I am trying for something like this for the rear end.

53120Copy.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

Edited by supercharged

I started a thread for this build in the Model Trucks section just to keep it all in one place. I will post updates there and drop a link here. I got the truck & trailer painted this AM ... http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37856&st=0&gopid=390555&

No problem, Winston. Feel free to drop a pic every now and then, too! B) I like what you've done so far!

By the way, how easily does that frame go back together after it's cut? I have to do some cuts on mine not only to shrink the cab to a regular cab like my 1:1, but I have to cut the frame in a weird way as well to keep the 6 inch gap between the bed and cab I have, since mine was built by Ford as a chassis cab.

I like what you've done so far!

Thanks Highway, I'm having fun.

By the way, how easily does that frame go back together after it's cut?

Lets just say I couldn't do anything without Tenax !!!!! B)

I just cut it in half right through the gas tank leaving about three eights of an inch on both frame pieces for overlap of the reinforcing strip, then cut the back half of the tank away from the rear frame section to put it back where it was. A little tedious but nothing some filler won't hide. :D

Thanks Highway, I'm having fun.

That's good to hear, that's my main goal of this build, for us to all have fun! :D

Lets just say I couldn't do anything without Tenax !!!!! B)

I just cut it in half right through the gas tank leaving about three eights of an inch on both frame pieces for overlap of the reinforcing strip, then cut the back half of the tank away from the rear frame section to put it back where it was. A little tedious but nothing some filler won't hide. :D

I guessed either a lot of help from Tenax or super glue! :lol:

My cut sounds like it will even be more fun, since I have to cut some of the molded in undercab as well, then shorten the frame to just that right size so I have the gap like the 1:1. I have to have someplace for my stacks that hopefully someday the 1:1 will have in the gap, too! :lol:

Matt, I don't have any pics of the truck but I made a 1986 f-350 using the same chassie . It didn't go all that bad. As soon as I can I will get some pics and upload them, I will post them in non-comercial site.

Matt, I don't have any pics of the truck but I made a 1986 f-350 using the same chassie . It didn't go all that bad. As soon as I can I will get some pics and upload them, I will post them in non-comercial site.

Cool, I'll be watching for them. :D

Hey Matt, I'll be building a '76 GMC Sierra Grande C35 with a Holmes 480 Mechanical. With any luck and electrical skill the lights will work (and Yes the light bar too)

OK, I'll get that on the list aftashoxjr! :DB)

Noe what about a working Winch.........................now look what you did........ :lol:

Now come on, Nick, you know I'm an ex wrecker driver and I have many wrecker builds planned. NOW YOU'RE GIVING ME IDEAS!!!! :lol::lol::lol::P

I just started a build thread in the Trucks section but I will add the same info here!

This is my first build in about 13 years.

I have been working on it a few days now and the way the body attached to the frame, I figured I had to do some body work so I did the interior and put that in then

attached the cab to the frame. I then added a little filler and primed and painted it.

The paint I used is High Heat Engine paint, It comes in a spray can. I do not yet have an airbrush so this was the only route I could go to get

the paint color I wanted.

I do not know anything about painting to get good results. I was thinking of doing a clear coat but do not know the process with sanding and polishing.

This is pretty much my dream truck, I am going to try to find a nice headache rack for it and a flatbed trailer.

Ok now time for some pics!!!

DSCF4821.jpg

DSCF4825.jpg

DSCF4826.jpg

DSCF4827.jpg

DSCF4828.jpg

DSCF4829.jpg

DSCF4830.jpg

DSCF4834.jpg

DSCF4835.jpg

DSCF4837.jpg