Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

I have most of the body work done on the van. I removed the "gutters" around the top, most of the trim. I am going to remove the cutout for the moon roof and I ordered a PE saw set from Detail Master for removing the hood and doors. I began work on the frame. I removed the front clip and replaced it with styrene strip. I will be using the i-beam front suspension from the Ford F350 and a Ford 9 inch for the rear. I put the engine together temporarily with super glue. The valve covers need reworking to look like the 6.4 Hemi. I am going to need to lengthen the transmission tunnel because even the 6.1 Hemi's tranny does not fit. Work on the scratchbuilt Allison will begin soon.

STewart

DSCN4083.jpg

DSCN4082.jpg

DSCN4081.jpg

I have completed all of the bodywork except for opening the doors and moonroof. Still waiting for the photoetched saw blades to get here. I cut of the rear of the interior bucket because I did not want tuck and button sides and carpet-textured floor. I put down diamond plate on the rear floor and partition wall, added walls, and took some bigger wheel wells from the parts box for the wider wheels I am using. I found some parts box seats that will be painted leather. They are from the Revell '06 Dodge Charger kit. The gauge panel is finished and will be installed as soon as the dash is painted. I used an MCG moon eyes photoetch set mounted on a chrome-painted piece of styrene. I really like the look of the gauges. It is the first time I have used them. I am using an axle that was resin cast by Alan from the Ford F-350 duallie kit. I added mounting plates to it for the air bags. Engine is mostly complete. I modified the valve covers to look more like the 6.4 hemi and will print some 392 hemi decals to put on it. Still have to decide where to go with the intake. I thought about doing a direct fuel injection kit but you would only see a little bit of it. I might just go with dual K&N filters on either side of the engine compartment.

Enough talking!! :D Here are the pics. Sorry about the poor quality :lol:

DSCN4103.jpg

Air bags

DSCN4104.jpg

Cab/rear partition

DSCN4105.jpg

Rear Axle

DSCN4106.jpg

Seats

DSCN4107.jpg

Interior. Not enlarged transmission tunnel.

DSCN4108.jpg

Engine and tranny

DSCN4109.jpg

DSCN4110.jpg

Gauge cluster

DSCN4111.jpg

STewart

I spent most of the evening with an airbrush and metalizers painting parts for in the van. I started painting the interior bucket and finished the first coat of Model master leather in the front of the cab. I am going to do body colored accents in it to break the monotony. More shelves will be installed in the back and perhaps some cabinets. The basic engine is complete but I am waiting on some aluminum pulleys and air filters for the intake. I added brackets for the ladder bars to the frame, finished painting the rear axle, and installed the airbags. I am not sure if the ladder bars are long enough. They are fairly short. Does anyone know how these things work?

I am trying to complete the bodywork but every time I primer and sand, there is another spot. :unsure::) Hopefully I will get my detail master order soon with the PE saw blades to cut out the doors because my headway is fairly limited until then.

STewart

DSCN4123.jpg

DSCN4122.jpg

DSCN4121.jpg

Parts for in the van

DSCN4119.jpg

DSCN4118.jpg

Interior-seats

DSCN4120.jpg

Dash- I plan on adding a few more auxiliary guages

DSCN4116.jpg

Cab

DSCN4114.jpg

Rear

DSCN4115.jpg

I added brackets for the ladder bars to the frame, finished painting the rear axle, and installed the airbags. I am not sure if the ladder bars are long enough. They are fairly short. Does anyone know how these things work?

Yeah, they are wayyy to short. They need to scale to 32 inches for cars and trucks can be longer. On cars they don't need to be any longer to get a mechanical advantage or else they will constantly lift the front wheels and you wont be able to adjust that out of them.

On a truck you are trying to plant the rear of vehicle that is wayyyy to lite in the rear to begin with, so you can get away with it. Plus the over all weight is too high compared to the hp and tq levels of a truck.

They usually only use the ladder bars on off road 4x4's. Here, yours are nothing more than swing arms like on a semi truck. They still need to be longer than what you have there to make them look right.

They also make different designs for trucks too. Some still look like car versions, but they make other versions that work the same way too.

There's some info in the first link and an odd design in the second link.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/tractionbars.htm

Thanks so much for the input dwc43 and DoubleD. I really appreciate it. I figured the ladder bars would probably be way to short. I have only seen 4 links that short. The problem is that I have a frame crossbar right in front of the axle and that is the distance I have for them. However, the idea of using a Nascar setup would fix that problem and the problem with the airbags being too far in. I put them that far in to clear the frame. I could modify the frame but I think I can make the Nascar setup work without modification.

Once again, thanks for the help.

STewart

OK Highway, here's my official entry into this build. I'm going to build an Expedited Freight truck. I'm going to combine a Revell W900 and the cargo box/ lift gate from the Ford Louisville Delivery Truck (Thanks to JustBill for that!) I'll stretch the wheel base 2 1/4", leave the twin-screw drive and detail the inside of the cargo box so's to be able to display it with the doors open. I may load it with hotrod parts... frames, bodys, engines, etc... Maybe give me a good reason to clean out some parts boxes... :P

aag5qa.jpg

110w0tk.jpg

BTW, anyone know how this liftgate goes together??? I've never built one and I could use a scan of that part of the instructions... B)

I have made only minor advancements on mine. I found a NASCAR rear suspension and it will work very well. Thanks for the suggestion doubleD. Won't have much time to work on it in the next couple weeks. I am behind on homework and finals week is quickly approaching. B) I found a good paint for it. The base color is going to be Boyd's sunburst

STewart

Hi everyone! Finally got some paint on almost everything, Not much more than assembly now......

cid__110226_002.jpg

cid__110226_003.jpg

cid__110216_001.jpg

cid__110217_001.jpg

I should have this done in about two weeks, then I'll start work on the trailer! :angry: Thanks for looking and putting up with me!! :lol:

Rick

Thanks foxer.

I was able to secure a new dodge van kit to replace the broken body and have started the body work on it. There were a lot of places that required smoothing or filling and filling the side door panel lines is a pain. Unfortunately, it is not the same kit and the grille from the original does not quite fit the new body. However, I was going to modify the grille anyway. I cut out the middle with the headlights and replaced them with the units from the other kit. I am going to try to scratchbuild an aluminum billet grille using round styrene rod. I have mostly completed the rear suspension. It is from a Monogram Nascar kit. I punched out some plastic discs for mounts and glued on the airbags. The frame has been slightly notched to allow for axle travel with the lowered wheels. I scratchbuilt a panhard bar from a section of aluminum tubing. I epoxied 00-90 brass nuts on the end and used a small bolt to secure it too the suspension arms. I have nearly completed the interior. I used some of scale dreams leopard skin decals to make the pattern on the seats. The decals work great! No trouble at all laying them down. I painted Boyd's orange pearl underneath. This will be the eventual color of the whole body. I also completed my first flocking job. The cargo area only needs a few more pieces added and it will be complete. I built a set of shelves for it last night.

STewart

DSCN4242.jpg

DSCN4243.jpg

DSCN4241.jpg

I also figure out how to get clear pics with my camera. I just need to make sure I have strong lighting and the pics will be clear. B)

DSCN4240.jpg

DSCN4239.jpg

DSCN4237.jpg

Yes. With something that small, it is hard not to sand too much into the filler and primer. I tried using spot putty with the last body and had the same problem. A dozen coats of primer and filler and it still would show up. This time I am using a much harder two-part filler.

STewart

I finally got the photoetch saws by MCG. Detail Master was out and didn't contact me until a couple weeks after my order. Don't know what's with that. ;):blink: So I ordered them from Scale Dreams Friday and got them today. They work very well. All of the doors and the hood have been removed and the body will be ready for paint very soon. I also cut out the moon roof and used one of the moon roof frames from another kit. The old window had sink marks on it so I cut out a new one from clear styrene.

DSCN4261.jpg

DSCN4256.jpg

I also finished modifying the grille. I added a new surround and as soon as I have stripped the chrome off and painted it with alclad, I am going to install a wire mesh center section.

DSCN4262.jpg

STewart