Model Cars Magazine Forum

Four Models Lost or Stolen in USPS Shipping!

How was it shipped? One of the reasons I quit eBay is because too many people use parcel post. It is the slowest domestic shipping option and they just don't care about protecting the package and many do get lost when sent parcel. I can't recall ever receiving a box shipped parcel post that wasn't dented and beat up. I've also read stories of it taking up to two months to be delivered.

Edited by Mr. Show

That makes me a little nervous, I dont do much trading, selling or otherwise, but, Im about to ship 2 packages out. From what Ive noticed USPS tracking info never really give you much info anyway.

Will, USPS tracking inside the U.S. tells you pretty much everything you would need to know. i have had times when it didn't seem to update for a day or two but overall it's pretty good.

i had a trade with a fellow member here go wacky for reasons we will never know. i sent a package to this person just like i had on many occasions before and it made it to it's destination just fine...........and then came back to me. the address label that i had placed on the package was gone and replaced by the post office with an "insufficient address" sticker. the box came back and then was re-labelled and shipped again. it crossed the U.S. from coast to coast 3 times before it was recieved :D a package that should have went from me to the other person in a few days took nearly 3 weeks. was the address insufficient like the sticker claimed? can't say since it was removed, but the tracking showed that it made it to the city it was supposed to and went out for delivery, was delivered and then a day later was on it's way back to me. even with as long as it took to complete that trade, both the person who was to be recieving that package and I always knew where it was using the tracking system online.

Yeah, Will, what Dave said is right on the money.

I also had a similar experience with a trade with another member here, and the kit I sent him got there in about 3 or 4 days. The one he sent for some reason had not arrived to me for almost a week and a half, and there was no tracking number on it, so we thought it was going to be gone forever. Luckly, he had is return address on it, and it ended up back on his doorstep. The second time he put the tracking number on it, but whatever the problem was had been corrected, too, so I ended up with it getting safely here.

That is one other important thing though, make sure the return address is on it, too. There are one or two members I've traded with that don't do that, and I think one didn't even have a tracking number, either. If the case above would have happened with the one with no return address and no tracking, it would have been gone forever!

We still haven't heard from John Goschke what shipping service was used. That would help determine which of the many good options described here would help.

I'm guessing you mean whether it was sent parcel post, first class, or priority mail, etc., right?

The package was sent via USPS Priority Mail. It would have taken an extraordinary effort to remove the very legible and firmly attached label from the package. The box used was a typical Priority cube-style box. Should have been there within two days. Obviously my mistake for not using delivery confirmation or insurance. Sent to a trust-worthy buyer, so no problem there, he confirmed correct address on the label.

I suppose it would be theoretically possible to get on the phone and trace it back thru the "chain of custody" from the Ambler, PA P.O. to the Buffalo, NY P.O., but it would not be easy because most (if not all) Priority Mail shipments also are handled in part by United Parcel.

I will never again offer shipping without confirmation or insurance, and will require all buyers to purchase them.

The package was sent via USPS Priority Mail. It would have taken an extraordinary effort to remove the very legible and firmly attached label from the package. The box used was a typical Priority cube-style box. Should have been there within two days. Obviously my mistake for not using delivery confirmation or insurance. Sent to a trust-worthy buyer, so no problem there, he confirmed correct address on the label.

I suppose it would be theoretically possible to get on the phone and trace it back thru the "chain of custody" from the Ambler, PA P.O. to the Buffalo, NY P.O., but it would not be easy because most (if not all) Priority Mail shipments also are handled in part by United Parcel.

I will never again offer shipping without confirmation or insurance, and will require all buyers to purchase them.

John,

Regardless, you should contact USPS and report it lost/missing or stolen if you haven't already.

Even though you didn't purchase the tracking, since it was sent Priority Mail there is some degree of internal tracking involved by USPS. It could just have been misplaced and will turn up. Reporting it alerts them to look.

And, make certain the Postal Inspection Service is involved or at least notified. If it is more than misplaced, they will want to know about it ... theft from the mail is treated very seriously whether external or internal.

Good luck!

John, i really hope the package was just lost and maybe turns up again. if it was stolen the likelyhood of ever seeing those kits again is pretty slim. i really don't think they would ever show up on any internet auction sites or for sale at any area shows or swap meets either, that would be a pretty bold move on the part of whoever took them.

the question that always comes to mind too whenever someone says that models were stolen in the mail is, how does the person who is "stealing" them know what's in the box?

It's not that they'd be looking for models specifically, but anything of value, such as electronics, DVDs, jewelry, etc.

John,

Regardless, you should contact USPS and report it lost/missing or stolen if you haven't already.

Even though you didn't purchase the tracking, since it was sent Priority Mail there is some degree of internal tracking involved by USPS. It could just have been misplaced and will turn up. Reporting it alerts them to look.

And, make certain the Postal Inspection Service is involved or at least notified. If it is more than misplaced, they will want to know about it ... theft from the mail is treated very seriously whether external or internal.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input Dan. All good advice. I'll take written description with photos to the PO to get it started.

If it wasn't stolen it's around a sort center somewhere. Buffalo is less than 500 miles from Philly, so that package was never involved with an airplane transfer. Not sure this was asked yet, but has the recipient ever gone to THEIR local Post Office and asked for the package? Could be a simple case of having a substitute route delivery person attempt to make delivery and then not leave the "You have mail" yellow card, and that poor box has been languishing down at the post office for weeks. I know around here my normal postal lady will not just leave a package on a stoop. Unlike my UPS driver who doesn't even knock on the door, and leaves boxes in random places (sometimes on the front porch, sometimes on the side, sometimes in the garage...) :D

i would be willing to bet if everyone is being honest (no slur intended on any party, just sayin), and not counting some punk walking by and grabbing the package on the porch, that it has already shown up or will within a month. ive been in a similar situation more than once and every time, way past the point where youve forgotten about it or written it off, it will show up one day unexpectedly. once months later.

personally i think the usps does a pretty admirable job, especially out here in the country.

I have had about 550 eBay deals back and forth as well as many private deals in the mail over the past 10 years and the US post office has never lost anything on me. I've used delivery confirmation on almost all of them and do offer insurance to all of my buyers. If it gets lost, its on them. Bigger deals that are of a considerable value, I build that into the price and let the buyer know up front.

I hope you come up with the package, looks like awesome kits.

Bob

Just an FYI.

Working for a large refuse company, I can tell you where packages end up if the labels DO happen to go missing. We receive a 35 yd rolloff compactor 1-2 times a week full of undeliverable packages. Consider also, there are those who wheel and deal as well as collectors of all sorts in different professions. I am sure the USPS has their share of them, some looking for an opportunity. I would advise against labeling the package with its contents for the sake of safe handling.

I just bought some modeling equipment off eBay about 3 or 4 days ago with a tracking number and i view it every single day but the tracking information keeps on saying invalid tracking number or it hasn't left it origin destination? Im never shipping or receiving a package via USPS again. Id rather spend the extra 10 then have a package lost...

Sorry about your packages!!!

Tom