Model Cars Magazine Forum

I like big fast cars.

Agent G

Well I promised an auto build, so here it is. I had planned a '32 roadster with all the period pieces, but gbk1 started his luscious '32. Ok, I'll prevent overload and do a muscle car, naturally three guys started Mopar builds. :lol:

So here's my new project, an Impala SS that shoulda been. I always wanted one of these once I drove the real thing. The police version was the same without the fancy interior, and did I love that car. Trouble was wife #2 vowed to take any and everything in the divorce, so all I'm left with now is the plastic one.

Let's start with the obligatory body/wheel mock up shot.

DSCF2833.jpg

Progressing onward this once simple build spiralled out of control. Searching for an upgraded engine I found the LS1 in a Polar Lights GTO kit.

DSCF2828.jpg

DSCF2830.jpg

I wanted to stay true to the concept, but those interior pieces from the GTO just sat there talking to me. So out came the Chevy back seat, and in went the GTO's.

DSCF2823.jpg

Front buckets too.

DSCF2824.jpg

That's where I'm at right now.

G

Edited by AgentG

Thanks guys.

Since I always wanted a green SS, I'm thinking British Racing Green with a tan interior. I was not fond of the gray/green color on the original, so that's my plan. I'll use brown flocking for the carpet, and wood grain accents on the console.

G

Great ideas, Wayne. It's too bad GM didn't go just a little further with the SS.

I agree with Harry, though. I'd stick to the stock rims on that car, those rims look a little spindly for one of those, although I must say, the provide a refreshing break in the massiveness of the car.

Charlie Larkin

Well between work and life in general all I've finished so far is integrating the GTO rear seats into the Impala. Here's a mockup of the interior. I used the GTO wheel and column, front buckets, and rear seats. What ya can't see is the GTO's pedals and I haven't placed the shifter yet.

The GTO buckets need a lot of seam work yet.

DSCF2836.jpg

DSCF2835.jpg

DSCF2834.jpg

The front end has been modified to allow the LS1 to sit realistically in the frame. A coworker has a GTO so were going to pop his hood for references next Wednesday.

G

Actually I'm on #4 :D !

#2 did manage to take my '03 Dodge Ram Quad cab. Cancelled the order on a Mercury Marauder otherwise she'd have gone after that.

#3 left without claiming anything important to me.

#4 is quite a keeper. :lol:

G

That's a cool interior! And yes, you need some fat wheels on this one.

Hmmm, what is it with some women....?? I've never been married, and don't think I ever will be, hearing stuff like this. But I think I've found a good one now. Sorry if it's OT.

Nick the GTO wheels arent really big enough. The real ones are 15", I think, and look lost on this car.

The GTO wheels in the kit represent the 17" wheels standard on them. There was also an optional 18" wheel for the GTO, but not in the kit...

I like this project so far- I always thought an LSX swap into that body Impala would be cool. Are you planning on adding the GTO's IRS as well?

I'm still leaning toward my decision to use the original wheels from XStuning.

Here's the front seats sans seams.

DSCF2849.jpg

I got some color on the body. I airbrushed MM British Racing Green metallic, building up the color slowly. I dropped an airifle pellet in the jar to keep the flake agitated.

Once it dried for about 6 hours, I clear coated with MM High Gloss Clear enamel.

DSCF2847.jpg

DSCF2846.jpg

DSCF2845.jpg

DSCF2844.jpg

It looks smoother in person than in the photos. Thanks to no humidity, and the now luke warm Nevada sun this will be ready soon. I'm thinking a good rub with Novus and this will be almost perfect.

G