Model Cars Magazine Forum

TV Show EMERGENCY Squad 51

car lover 1996

Hi everybody,

My next big project will be the squad 51 vehicle from the old TV Show EMERGENCY. Of course I will be using the amt little red dodge truck for the cab and frame. And since the truck in the show is a 72 and not the 78 like the kit, I have to switch the grille to the older style. I found a 72 in resin. But if you guys could give me any other information about where to get parts or maybee you even built one before I would appreciate the help. I guess the only thing I really need to know is where to get the right wheels. I also plan on building the utility box from sheet styrene. They were putting the show on again and I have tto build it.

heres the truck

LA_County_Squad_51_PAST-vi.jpg

sssquad51engine51-vi.jpg

s51-vi.jpg

Edited by car lover 1996

Dencon has the grill you need. Chimneyville has a light bar that is almost an exact copy of what they use. You should be able to find enough decals on there site to do your truck as well. I have a link for a bed to do that truck with to. I plan on doing one at some point and time. I have what I think may be Ford dually wheels that are pretty close to these. Also, would you like to part with that step bed you have? I could use one if you don't need it.

I have what I think may be Ford dually wheels that are pretty close to these.

Yep, DW, you are right, the wheels in the Ford dually are a match to the the ones on Squad 51. The real wheels, as well as the kits, are a Budd 4 hole wheel. While I don't have a pic of the wheels from the kit, the kit has the same wheels as my 1:1 dually, with the exception of the four wheel drive hub on my 1:1. The kit wheels have the correct grease cap for the two wheel drive like in the Squad 51 1:1 pic.

HPIM1845.jpg

I'll definitely be watching this, it is still one of my favorite TV shows. I still watch it now, a TV station here runs it every night at 10 PM on their Retro station.

Ok, some time ago robwes70 sent me this link. http://ssbresins.com/new-parts.php At the time, this was a complete resin kit that cost $110 and is now listed at $99. I said something about the price and he contacted them and sent me this in a pm. According to SSB Resins you can purchase just the "bed" for $33.00 + $5.34 s&h.

I have not contacted them yet, because I was not ready to build this truck, but feel free to do so and let us know how it turns out. I may go ahead and get the rest of the parts and stuff I need to do this build as well.

I also noticed on that same page they offer squad decals. N0 51 since it was only based on a real squad, but they might have some stuff to piece most of it together with. I have not looked at everything on the site yet. I also noticed they have the stokes litter basket, and other parts that may help out.

98 2005 LACOFD PARAMEDIC SQUAD KIT RES KIT04R $99.00

http://ssbresins.com/new-parts.php

Ok, some time ago robwes70 sent me this link. http://ssbresins.com/new-parts.php At the time, this was a complete resin kit that cost $110 and is now listed at $99. I said something about the price and he contacted them and sent me this in a pm. According to SSB Resins you can purchase just the "bed" for $33.00 + $5.34 s&h.

I have not contacted them yet, because I was not ready to build this truck, but feel free to do so and let us know how it turns out. I may go ahead and get the rest of the parts and stuff I need to do this build as well.

I also noticed on that same page they offer squad decals. N0 51 since it was only based on a real squad, but they might have some stuff to piece most of it together with. I have not looked at everything on the site yet. I also noticed they have the stokes litter basket, and other parts that may help out.

98 2005 LACOFD PARAMEDIC SQUAD KIT RES KIT04R $99.00

Be aware the LACOFD Paramedic Squad Kit you are referring to is a 2005 series, not the 1970s series like Squad 51. You'll note the utility body is different than Squad 51's utility body (the part referred to as 'the bed.' While SSB's kit looks great, it is nowhere close to the Emergency! squad and won't help you replicate Squad 51.

Also, the decal sets SSB offers are for replicas of specific FDNY companies and won't help you with your Emergency! Squad 51. I can't see the decal sheet that's included with the 2005 squad kit, so I don't know if it is similar to the 1970s markings.

:lol:

Be aware the LACOFD Paramedic Squad Kit you are referring to is a 2005 series, not the 1970s series like Squad 51. You'll note the utility body is different than Squad 51's utility body (the part referred to as 'the bed.' While SSB's kit looks great, it is nowhere close to the Emergency! squad and won't help you replicate Squad 51.

Also, the decal sets SSB offers are for replicas of specific FDNY companies and won't help you with your Emergency! Squad 51. I can't see the decal sheet that's included with the 2005 squad kit, so I don't know if it is similar to the 1970s markings.

:lol:

The bed is the only thing you need and it would be easy to make the doors match. You would have to make the chrome rails as well.

Good looking project ya got going on.

I got lucky and bought a 73 Dodge truck and it came with the box and other related stuff . :(

And to think I had to think about buying it for a few minutes(a whole 5mins too).

It was my big purchase for the day..

PB060004.jpg

PB060008.jpg

PB060006.jpg

BTW: I just threw the Snow tires/wheels under it since i just bought them that day too

• 4 weeks later...

hey i have been working on finding everything to build one for my dad. have you found the running boards or the lights for top. where did you get the truck cab and utility box

You can use any cab from the Little Red Express truck or an 70's Dodge truck. The LRE truck does not have the correct hood. IT has the '80 and up hood. You need the '72 to ;79 hood that has the depressions in it.

Get the grill and wheels from Dencon.

http://www.denconresin.com/wheels.html

http://www.denconresin.com/part.html

Get the ute box from these guys. Number 98. The whole kit is $99 but if you e mail them, they will sell just the box.

Decals from J Bot.

http://www.jbot.ca/cars/ems/squad51.shtml

Then you have everything you need.

Edited by dwc43

You can use any cab from the Little Red Express truck or an 70's Dodge truck. The LRE truck does not have the correct hood. IT has the '80 and up hood. You need the '72 to ;79 hood that has the depressions in it.

Get the grill and wheels from Dencon.

http://www.denconresin.com/wheels.html

http://www.denconresin.com/part.html

Get the ute box from these guys. Number 98. The whole kit is $99 but if you e mail them, they will sell just the box.

Decals from J Bot.

http://www.jbot.ca/cars/ems/squad51.shtml

Then you have everything you need.

Dave it has the right hood, I know I have 3 of them for some projects that I'll get to eventually.

I can crack one open and take a pic if need be.

Edited by Nick Winter

Dave it has the right hood, I know I have 3 of them for some projects that I'll get to eventually.

I can crack one open and take a pic if need be.

Look at post 11 I made. It has to have the hood with the two depressions or scallops in it. The LRE does not have that hood. IT has the 80's up hood that is flat other than the body line down the middle and on each side. To make the Squad 51 truck you need the '72 to '79 hood with the two depressions or scallops that face each fender.

Look at post 11 I made. It has to have the hood with the two depressions or scallops in it. The LRE does not have that hood. IT has the 80's up hood that is flat other than the body line down the middle and on each side. To make the Squad 51 truck you need the '72 to '79 hood with the two depressions or scallops that face each fender.

Interesting..the MPC/AMT LRE kits I have are '78s and have the '72-78 hood w/ the depressions. MPC did make later 4x4 '79-80 style Dodge pickups w/ the '79-80 hood (w/o depressions).

(The picture in post #9 shows a red hood that looks like the MPC LRE hood..the original issue of that kit was molded in red).

Edited by Rob Hall

Interesting..the MPC/AMT LRE kits I have are '78s and have the '72-78 hood w/ the depressions. MPC did make later 4x4 '79-80 style Dodge pickups w/ the '79-80 hood (w/o depressions).

(The picture in post #9 shows a red hood that looks like the MPC LRE hood..the original issue of that kit was molded in red).

Well, don't know how that happened then. I just dug mine back out and it has the wrong hood in it, but, the pic on the box does have the correct hood on it. Oh well, I'll change it when I get to the point I want to finish it up. Since I found all the parts now, I need to buy them up so I can do this project too.

Well, don't know how that happened then. I just dug mine back out and it has the wrong hood in it, but, the pic on the box does have the correct hood on it. Oh well, I'll change it when I get to the point I want to finish it up. Since I found all the parts now, I need to buy them up so I can do this project too.

I have the correct hood from a LRE I will trade you for your incorrect hood as I need the raised hood instead of the depressed hood.

I have the correct hood from a LRE I will trade you for your incorrect hood as I need the raised hood instead of the depressed hood.

Let me check first. I have another box put away where I got a bunch of truck parts from someone on here. I may need it for one of them. And thanks for the offer too.

• 9 years later...

Hi folks; thought I would refresh this thread as I am looking for updates info on how to go about building a squad 51 model. As a hobby model building and a 21 year professional firefighter, as well as having loved the show as a kid I am hoping I can find the parts to build a good representation of squad 51.

The thread I refreshed is 10 years old, and I’m sure the sources for parts, etc plus what is available has changed.

any help or advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!

i still can’t believe there was never a proper squad 51 model kit available back in the day; in its time Emergency! Was a huge hit.

It is an AMAZING kit!  Pricey is relative . . . this 130+ piece kit has everything you need except a donor cab/interior/chassis. By leaving that up to the builder, you can model a Squad 51 or some other year/make of your choice. (LACFD used the same compartment body, trim, and accessories on a variety of chassis, including Chevy and Ford in addition to the Dodge featured on Emergency!  In fact, at the time Emergency! was produced, LACFD didn't use Dodge chassis for the squads -- making the one on Emergency! quite unique. 

The Ranger kit has EVERYTHING!  If you tried to piece an equivalent model together from various sources it would cost you a ton more than Ranger's kit. And, the Ranger kit has the best decal set available anywhere for the LACFD squads; again, with optional numbers should you want to build Squad 40, or some other unit.

BONUS - One final thing -- that link I provided you goes to Ranger's Virtual Vendor Table at the dscV16 - Virtual Venue Model Car Championship. They're offering the Squad kit at $20 off during the show if ordered from their Virtual Vendor page.