Model Cars Magazine Forum

Master Modeler?????

unsure.gif You've seen models built by "Master Modeler's" for sale on eBay. huh.gif

I sell a lot of my built models on eBay, recently a buyer inquired if the model was built by a "Master Modeler".

This was not an easy question to answer sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif I think the stuff I build turns out OK, but not master built...

I'm just curious as to what qualifies one as a "Master Modeler"...just throwing it out there for a little feed back smile.gif

thanx

It's a tough one to answer and define. I know that there's always good craftsmanship behind a lot of models on the show tables.

Master status, hum . . . A. Hiscano comes to mind in the model car world. Clay Kemp comes to mind too.

I'll nominate John Teressi, and Aftashox.(Romell Robinson). Their work is amazing.

As to defining master modeler, that's way hard. I think one needs to be well versed in all aspects of our modeling art, and able to scratchbuild just about anything with a couple sheets of plastic, some sprue, and a big candle. B)

Interesting topic! Have seen this on ebay too, or pro built! "Master Modeler" is a title reserved for a modeler that makes a living as a modeler and has at least 10 professional years under their belt. A "Master Modeler" does not use kits, or there is very limited use of kit parts. Modelers that master resin models could fit that description.

It's a tough one to answer and define. I know that there's always good craftsmanship behind a lot of models on the show tables.

Master status, hum . . . A. Hiscano comes to mind in the model car world. Clay Kemp comes to mind too.

Gerald Windgrove is the only one that really stands out in my mind. Does everything from scratch and builds exact replicas that are almost impossible to identify from photos.

Winston Mitchell was one that I knew personally.

When I met him he said he scratch builds all of his kits.

Then I found out we lived close together and a friendship began.

The work on his kits was amazing considering it was scrap material from everywhere.

He taught me a lot he was a great person and I miss him dearly.

April 15th 2010 was the day he passed and this years NNL in Smyrna Ga. will be tough

this year,because that is where we met.And it will not be the same without him there.

God Bless

Earl Miller

"Master" added to most titles tends to be an overused description unless there are verifyable credentials accompanying. There has to be some kind set standards that one "must" be meet to qualify as a "Master" of any trade.

Me, I'm a jack of all trades, master of none!:(

If someone calls themselves a "Master Modeller", they are probably not!!!! :DB) It's not like we have a formal ranking system like they have in chess. Then you have the amateur/professional question which has little to do with skill and results.

Wingrove was quite good but there were better, although not too many. Tom Kirn who won GSL with his Deusenberg Murphy coupe was better but he only built a few models for himself. Wingrove built 5-10 models a year depending on complexity. The late Manuel Olive Sans from Spain was one of the absolute best. His 1/10 scale Maserati Birdcage was so incredible that one car collecter who saw it stated that collecting Sans models was better than collecting the real cars. His models could run up to $50,000. each. Then there is the lunatic from France who built the 312 PB which was actually a small car rather than a large model! B)

Jim Drew and Randy Derr are also amongst the most awesome builders out there. Some of their models have a basis in a plastic kit. The results are at odds with the humble origins but compare favorably to the best in the world.

Making masters for resin casting is no big deal. Lots of people do that. To scratchbuild one is a step in the right direction but would anyone call Tom Mills of TKM a "master Modeller"?? He is more like a Folk Artist. The results do not display very good craftsmanship but have a charm and artistry that can be appreciated in a certain way.

It is an amusing question but there is no answer to it. I think most of the people mentioned above would be happy to be called simply a "model builder".

• 1 year later...

Ok Lets look at the term "Master"

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the word as follows: 1: to become master of :OVERCOME: 2: to become skilled or proficient in 3: to produce a master of.

Now lets take the second of these defanitions and expound on it. It is said that it takes 20 years to master any given talent or skill set. So the question at hand should be how much time has the said builder of models had at the bench. Now some may have an extraordinary gift that has allowed them to pick up the mastery of the plastic trade rather fast as did John T. should we lable him as a master? Yes indeed! His few years building has manifested proof in his works alone.

Yet still others build for years 20,30 even 40 years to gain the confidence and works of a master builder. I know many who fall in this catagory.

So who are master builders? Its the guys who over and over again and again are able to show the works of a master modeller. B)

Anyone can call themselves a "master modeler." It's a term that can't be exactly defined; it means different things to different people.

I once knew a guy on the H.S. debate team, he was really good. You could say he was a master deba... oh, never mind. :P

I used to fish with a guy that was really good..he was a Master Baiter.

Anyone can call themselves a "master modeler." It's a term that can't be exactly defined; it means different things to different people.

I once knew a guy on the H.S. debate team, he was really good. You could say he was a master deba... oh, never mind. :P

Harry, was he a master debater or a cunning linguist? :blink:

Hmm. This is a tough one. There are some that I would call master builders but they themselves would disagree. But to me the whole idea is silly. Without a formal ranking system to decide what a "master builder" should be, its all just ego and/or self promotion.

I know that in Japan they use the designation in different artistic disciplines and it means a whole lot more over there than it does here. You can actually be made a National Treasure and then State pays for your keep and for training new students in the field.