Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi R8 GT3 Coversion is complete

Peter Lombardo

My Audi R8 GT3 is complete. This is an imaginary version of the real car. I researched the race car and found that there are about 10 different versions of the car all with various subtle differences. I selected the features that I liked and incorporated them into this version. The paint scheme is also imaginary with custom made splatter decals under Jagermeister sponsorship decals.

Here is the interior. 5175574817_6a6972a586.jpg

I modified a resin racing seat that I had in the parts box. The roll cage is made from metal rods that are coated with styrene and sheet styrene gussets. The seat belt is a photoetched unit from Eduardo. I added the electronic boxes and wires on the floor where the passenger seat would have been.

Here is a front view. The wheels and tires came from the Tamiya Opal race car. The brakes are from the Audi kit. The headlight covers are painted clear yellow. The headlight projector light and the two center road lights are from HO train mu light jewels. 5175581809_363ece883a.jpg

Here is the rear view. The exhaust outlets are aluminum tubing that I bent into an oval to fit into the opening. The rear wing cam from a little dress-up kit from Tamiya which has three wings and some nice photoetched parts designed primarily for Nissan Skylines….but will work on just about any car. 5175583001_cc08802663.jpg

Here looking down on the car…..

5175582453_edc1f25eff.jpg

Here with the driver door open….

5175584113_59442a00b3.jpg

Looking down with the doors open….

5175583585_728bb698e0.jpg

Here the rear hatch is open. I made the air intake hoses from metal tubes I got from Japan. They are flexible…..kind of like very small micro “slinkies†from my childhood.

5176190210_a5ba4244ee.jpg

5175587865_60b1d2a281.jpg

That’s it. It now joins the Viper race car. I will do a Ford GT GT3 next and then the Corvette ZR1 as a GT3. I am also working to complete my two seat art deco roadster, cut down from the 4 seater and the Chrysler Concept of my imaginary 300 concept.

My Audi R8 GT3 is complete. This is an imaginary version of the real car. I researched the race car and found that there are about 10 different versions of the car all with various subtle differences. I selected the features that I liked and incorporated them into this version. The paint scheme is also imaginary with custom made splatter decals under Jagermeister sponsorship decals.

Here is the interior. 5175574817_6a6972a586.jpg

I modified a resin racing seat that I had in the parts box. The roll cage is made from metal rods that are coated with styrene and sheet styrene gussets. The seat belt is a photoetched unit from Eduardo. I added the electronic boxes and wires on the floor where the passenger seat would have been.

Here is a front view. The wheels and tires came from the Tamiya Opal race car. The brakes are from the Audi kit. The headlight covers are painted clear yellow. The headlight projector light and the two center road lights are from HO train mu light jewels. 5175581809_363ece883a.jpg

Here is the rear view. The exhaust outlets are aluminum tubing that I bent into an oval to fit into the opening. The rear wing cam from a little dress-up kit from Tamiya which has three wings and some nice photoetched parts designed primarily for Nissan Skylines….but will work on just about any car. 5175583001_cc08802663.jpg

Here looking down on the car…..

5175582453_edc1f25eff.jpg

Here with the driver door open….

5175584113_59442a00b3.jpg

Looking down with the doors open….

5175583585_728bb698e0.jpg

Here the rear hatch is open. I made the air intake hoses from metal tubes I got from Japan. They are flexible…..kind of like very small micro “slinkies†from my childhood.

5176190210_a5ba4244ee.jpg

5175587865_60b1d2a281.jpg

That’s it. It now joins the Viper race car. I will do a Ford GT GT3 next and then the Corvette ZR1 as a GT3. I am also working to complete my two seat art deco roadster, cut down from the 4 seater and the Chrysler Concept of my imaginary 300 concept.

Cool colors looks great!!! nice job :lol:

hi

have a quick question

great job where did the wheels come from?

randy ludi

Randy, look back a few pages on the "on the workbench" section for the detail on all of the build, but here is an excerpt of the section about the wheels....

I lifted these from the Tamiya Opal Astra V8 Coupe race car kit (it is an extra kit of that car I have). I painted the wheels with a very bright silver and then brush painted on Testers Brass over the spokes. The decals came from a great set of tire sponsor decals I ordered from Japan also. I painted on some gloss lacquer to the tire side wall, once dry I applied the decal for Michelin. Once that was dry, I brushed on some flat clear over the whole tire side wall to make it a consistent flat sheen.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...