Model Cars Magazine Forum

July paint - Polished in November

The "super singles" are the too-big fronts from the Can-Do Wrecker and the Bill Signs 359.

Somebody needs to cast these in resin/rubber and sell them in sets of 4. ;)

Tim

Oh those wonderful 1/16 scale car tires! :) That has got to be one (of many) of my biggest dislikes of the Can Do kit. :D

• 1 month later...

Tim, What is your method of polishing and waxing to get such a smooth shine? what type of polishes and waxes do you use? what is your method this looks great!!

This is a project I painted in July when I was on a huge painting binge.

Duplicolor gloss black with several coats of clear.

In July..

TMC379119paint7910.jpg

Now after almost an hour of polishing

TMC379Nov1310Readyforfoil.jpg

And after waxing with Mothers Carnuba

TMC379Nov1310slprrfwx.jpg

TMC379Nov1310hoodwax.jpg

TMC379Nov1410slprwx.jpg

Here's the inspiration

4940263-R1-026-11A.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Chris,

I usually apply at least 2 coats of clear, let it cure then polish (or wet sand if I really mucked up).

I use 3M rubbing compound for heavy polishing, then 3M cleaner wax followed by Mothers Carnuba pure wax.

I recently started to use a product called "Beyond Clay" from Surf City Garage instead of the 3M cleaner wax.

It tends to be more aggressive without scratching the paint.

A technique I've been told works really well is to wet sand the 2nd clear coat, then apply another coat of clear on top of that and polish if needed. I haven't tried this yet.. but will. A modeler who does this on many small-scale model cars has fantastic results.

Tim

Tim,

what is your process here? what type of waxes and polishes do you use do you wet sand? this looks great!! i am painting a blck pete now it is ok shiny but it just does not satisfy me. how manty coats of clear do you apply? Thanks Chris

[A technique I've been told works really well is to wet sand the 2nd clear coat, then apply another coat of clear on top of that and polish if needed. I haven't tried this yet.. but will. A modeler who does this on many small-scale model cars has fantastic results.]

That's what I do(if I do not rush)the paint and it really stands out. find your self a good move and sit back that does take a lot time.