Model Cars Magazine Forum

Simple model? Thanks for the help, everyone!

Hey thank you for all of the replies everybody.

I've found a AMT/Matchbox '69 Camaro SS (Street Magic) Snap Kit.

Is this rare?

Is it good quality and simple?

Thanks in advance. :lol:

If you're looking for a kit that a kid can easily build, what does it matter if it's "rare"?

My daughter (who is nine) wanted to take a step up from the snap kits to the glue kits. I won the new AMT curbside 2010 Corvette in a raffle and showed it to her. It was the perfect kit and she loved it. Very well designed to fit between the snap and full-on glue kits. Highly recommended.

Revell has a "Basic Builder" line. Everything is molded color, not a lot of parts, though gluing is required. May be a nice intermediate step after the snap kits.

And if you can find any, Minicraft models usually have a really low number of parts, and the plastic is incredibly sturdy which would be good for younger ones.

Edited by Mr. Show

Revell has a "Basic Builder" line. Everything is molded color, not a lot of parts, though gluing is required. May be a nice intermediate step after the snap kits.

And if you can find any, Minicraft models usually have a really low number of parts, and the plastic is incredibly sturdy which would be good for younger ones.

What he said.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info everyone!

How good is the AMT 1966 Ford Mustang Hardtop (1/25 scale)?

Thank you in advance! :)

In a word, simple. This one is long over due for a Retool. The body is fine, the rest? Flat ,molded in suspension chassis.One piece Interior tub with little or no detail.Funny car style headers and some other strange engine accessories.Sadly, the only game in town.

The Revell kits are good but have you considered looking at some of the older Tamiya kits? You can find quite a few of them for under $20. That's what I started on when I was a kid. Better overall fit and I think the instructions are easier to understand than a lot of the U.S. made kits.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

How good of quality is the Fujimi 1/24 Ferrari Koenig Testarossa?

Is it simple?

Thanks in advance!

If it's Fujimi I'd lean towards their 90's Japanese subjects for a simple kit. Not a whole lot of parts or details in the interior, but the body looks reasonably good.

The Koenig Testarossa is not that complicated, you can see for yourself:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10040858

Edited by fumi

Fujimi kits are extremely nice mostly curbside kits. He could probably put it together fairly easily with a little bit of fatherly help. At 10 he could probably do a glue kit with your guidance. My nephew is 6 and has already gotten to the point where he can build a snap kit with minimal help. Just take him to a local hobby shop or let him look around with you online and pick out a kit and work on it together.

Edited by ra7c7er

How are Tamiya and Aoshima kits?

Also, how are the Revell, AMT and Monogram kits?

If it's Fujimi I'd lean towards their 90's Japanese subjects for a simple kit. Not a whole lot of parts or details in the interior, but the body looks reasonably good.

The Koenig Testarossa is not that complicated, you can see for yourself:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10040858

Thank you very much for the help. Thanks for the website also, that will help a lot.

Fujimi kits are extremely nice mostly curbside kits. He could probably put it together fairly easily with a little bit of fatherly help. At 10 he could probably do a glue kit with your guidance. My nephew is 6 and has already gotten to the point where he can build a snap kit with minimal help. Just take him to a local hobby shop or let him look around with you online and pick out a kit and work on it together.

Thanks for the help!

I'm the person that's going to build the kit, I'm only 11.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I am now a proud owner of a Fujimi Koenig Testarossa!

Edited by RS Sport