Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tom "mongoose" Mcewen

brett

I can only find two pics of this car, this one

69cuda1.jpg

and a really small one of the rear, with virtually no info whatso ever. Have Polar lights cuda fc ,have the slixx decals which give the paint colors for the body and chassis, have no idea what hat or injection setup its running,would like to know before I get it wrong..........again lol.

Edited by brett

Awesome guys, thanks :D. I knew I should ask here!!

Jim I know the chassis is blue , my main concern is the injection setup ie Enderle style hat or Hilborn 4 pot. Have done plug wires, not sure that I want to plumb (too much modification for what its worth IMO), not so bad if its the Hilborn but the hat would need to be modified , then probably the tin work etc etc.

Doug, thanks but I don't know too much, apparently he got the car from Butch Leal who then went Pro stock racing, so I assume early 69 season?

Bob, the center stripe is gold with red stars in it and the rocker decals are red and also have a lot of contingency decals on. they're all going over white paint so it shouldn't be too much of a problem using the decals (Slixx).

I can only find two pics of this car, this one

69cuda1.jpg

and a really small one of the rear, with virtually no info whatso ever. Have Polar lights cuda fc ,have the slixx decals which give the paint colors for the body and chassis, have no idea what hat or injection setup its running,would like to know before I get it wrong..........again lol.

This site has the two pics that Jim posted, plus about 500 pages of classic funny cars

http://classicfunnycarboard.com/CFB/index.php?topic=834.6960

A search on the same site turned up a rear pic, Type Mongoose in the search, scroll all the way to the bottom, also click on pic and it will bring you to the original picture

have fun scrolling thru this message board

tb

Edited by tbusch

TB,

Not trying to be a "know it all"....... but.

The Butch Leal Cuda was sold to Don Schumacher. It was a Logghe chassis car.

See below:

ButchLeal168CUDA-vi.jpg

DonSchumacherPlymouthCudab-vi.jpg

The McEwen car above, was an Exhibition Engineering chassis.

Brett, you can see the injector set up on the Shoe's car. I'm thinking the McEwen car had that, used a lot about that timeframe. Not an Enderle bugcatcher.

TB,

See below:

ButchLeal168CUDA-vi.jpg

Brett, you can see the injector set up on the Shoe's car. I'm thinking the McEwen car had that, used a lot about that timeframe. Not an Enderle bugcatcher.

All I did was post a website for more pictures, never mentioned who Mongoose got the car from.

Nice pictures of Leals/Schumacher car, notice the tin work on schumacher's a solid bulkhead behind the front tires then a tin skirt at the bottom of the car that extends to the rear tires

tb

Jim , it was me said/read that. Really appreciate you guys doing this though. I'm using the latest Mozilla Firefox but cant access The Drag List, Classic Funnycars. or 70's funnycar boards though Google doesn't even bring up a lot of results from a lot of forum/message boards or photobucket. Anyhow this should be enough to go with, not going for 100% accuracy here just don't want it to be totally wrong.

I thought I would throw my 2 cents with some info since I do work for the Tom McEwen and Drag Racer magazine with some info for you.

The chassis was metallic Blue and it had a Cragar Blower and Enderle injector hat the chassis was a Don Hardy, the wheels were americans front and rear

with a dana mag 60 rear end.. He bought the car from Candies and Hughes, look at the pictures and you can see the similarities.

TB,

See below:

ButchLeal168CUDA-vi.jpg

Jim,

The Butch Leal Cuda became the Baltimore Bandit, it was not purchased by Schumacher.

Mark

Jim,

The Butch Leal Cuda became the Baltimore Bandit, it was not purchased by Schumacher.

Mark

Well, heck....... As the years go by, the evolution gets tainted, I guess Mark.

There was lots of "passing on" on the cars back then.

Thanks for the info.

Bret, we all are trying to help !

That's cool Jim ,and Really appreciated.

The car should be a 68 but with the price I paid for it with the decals I'm not springing for a resin 68 body that speed city resin were/are? going to be doing. It'll mainly be a body down display anyway so will go with the Enderly hat and the kit based fuel system. Just trying to match up a pretty close blue for the body now. Local hot rod show tomorrow (usually round 800 cars or so), so will get pics up probably Monday.

Thanks again for All the help guys, again it really is appreciated.

For anyone who may still be watching :D, got blue on this morning and decaled one side and top of car this afternoon. The decals did try to fall apart but luckily I'd tested on the manufacturers logo and then sprayed with the testors decal bonder. Roof one has moved a little, but will have to stay :) as when I noticed I went straight back out to move it and it tore a little.

mongoosecuda008.jpg

mongoosecuda009.jpg

mongoosecuda0010.jpg

mongoosecuda011.jpg

mongoosecuda012.jpg

I'm watching! That looks awesome, nice detailing and that paintjob is very good, of course decals from Slixx... Nice job with it so far, can't wait to see finished product. Oh, and remember to paint those opening "flaps" from blower hat. ;) Nice job with it. B)

Thanks Roger, until I got the decals (they came with the car) I hadn't either. Well its done, fought me the whole last 1000 feet, but I got there. Not real happy with it but nether the less, one that not a lot of people knew about and its in my shelf ;).

mongoosecuda028.jpg

mongoosecuda023.jpg

mongoosecuda016.jpg

mongoosecuda020.jpg

mongoosecuda024.jpg

mongoosecuda026.jpg