Model Cars Magazine Forum

1992 Ford F-150 Nite

Guess I could start posting on this build here. I'm starting with the AMT F-150 Shortbox and planning on building it as a 1992 2WD with the Nite trim level.

Major components of the package:

Raven Black exterior with body color bumpers and grille

Choice of blue or pink side stripe with Nite badging on box sides, tailgate, and dashboard, as well as Nite floormats

Polished aluminum wheels and white letter tires

Sport suspension on the 2WD

Standard 302 V8 or optional 351 V8

Sliding rear window

I'm going to make it look like it was just purchased from the dealership, which means super clean and of course a window sticker.

First thing I finished was the interior. The parts were molded in a light brown plastic, so I figured it would be perfect to make a tan interior. I also had to fabricate a shift lever since the kit didn't come with one.

SDC11037.jpg

SDC11039.jpg

Edited by Jordan White

The 92-96 Fords did have tan as an option. I've looked at a few, but they seem to be more common in the 95-96 Eddie Bauer trucks and Broncos. I'm not sure if it was avaliable in the Nites (which was dropped after 1992). They are out there though. Here's a 1992 XLT

photo.jpg

The 92-96 Fords did have tan as an option. I've looked at a few, but they seem to be more common in the 95-96 Eddie Bauer trucks and Broncos. I'm not sure if it was avaliable in the Nites (which was dropped after 1992). They are out there though. Here's a 1992 XLT

Thanks for the info. I don't think it was offered in the Nite, from the brochure I found, but it's not a big deal. It could just be a special order.

You dont see to many people talk about the NITE trucks, its like people forgot about them you always here about the lightning trucks. There is one of them around her that is black with blue stripes, the guy that drives this truck uses it to pick up scrap in the neighborhoods in michigan city. Ive tried to buy it and he keeps telling me theres nothing special about the truck its just a truck made for work. I would like to get it to restore it. Also i dont know if you heard of these but in indiana we had ford trucks that came with an indiana badge look like the state they were mounted on special trucks on both rear quarters.

That's why I like the Nite (other than being black with blackout trim), people don't really know about it. Well, that and the fact that you could get one with 4WD and a 5-speed, unlike the Lightning.

Yeah there like the Chevy Sport, everyone knows the 454SS but the Chevy sport was almost the same but you had a few more choices (3 colors, red, white and black) and well 4WD. :D

Haha competing awesomeness, good thinking! :D Actually he should do the Sierra GT, since he likes GMC more than Chevy! ;)

Have 1 planned my friend have 1 planned. ;) although I can't decide wheather It should get a 4x4 step bed or 2wd fleetside

Edited by Nick Winter

• 2 weeks later...

Since school is winding down for the semester, I've stopped working on kits for now. However, I decided to take some time and make a window sticker for this build, since it is going to be factory fresh (and I like doing research B) ). I also did like Nick did for his Trans Am, and figure out a VIN for it.

windowstickerUPDATED.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job on the window sticker, Jordan.

Coon Rapids? Sounds very backwoods.

It's neat to see these projects of my high school days coming out from two guys who aren't quite old enough to either remember or be fully congniscent of what they were when new.

Keep it up Jordan (and Nick,) I'm enjoying watching these.

Charlie Larkin

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's been more than a week haha, but I finally got some more done on this. I painted and assembled, the chassis, engine, and drivetrain. The kit came with some fairly small tires (better suited for the custom version), so I used the set from the AMT Explorer, since the wheels fit in perfectly. Of course, I then had to raise the suspension since it would have been too low. I found the lift pieces from the AMT Ranger fit perfect (specially since they have the same suspension setup, I only had to slightly modify the front spring/shock pieces).

SDC11107.jpg

SDC11108.jpg

SDC11109.jpg

• 4 months later...

Was able to get the body, glass, and interior on the chassis as well as install the lights. I'm using the mirrors from the re-released Monogram Bronco since they're the same low-mount style used on the Nite.

SDC11281.jpg

Still have to drum up some decals for the sides in Photoshop, complete the engine compartment, and install a few other odds and ends.

That's looking great! Awesome engine detail, I like that the plug wires don't look like heater hoses. Can't wait to see how you mount those Bronco mirrors, I have to do that too. The window sticker is cool, that will really top it off. Keep it comin'!