Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell USA Ferrari Superamerica

For the three people that care, listen up!

Revell Germany issued their full-detail Ferrari Superamerica last year (basically a 575 Maranello w/a rotating glass convertible roof that made it a hardtop convertible); in their hideous end-panel access only flat box and molded in a strange combo of red and gray. Most of the body in red, but some parts like the hood were on the gray tree. Retail on 'em is $22.00. A very good kit effort ignoring the box and the plastic colors.

Revell USA's reboxed version of the same kit is out now, retail is about $16 and it's available from the usual discount online sources.

Ignore the awful boxart model photo (I've given up hope of mainstream boxart from the US ever being able to properly sell a kit), the kit builds pretty well from what I've seen on another forum or two. What's important here is the Revell USA version is molded in white. Hallelujah!

If you are careful in your assembly (make sure the frame isn't warped before you start-a common problem fixed by careful bending), the rotating roof works on the kit like the real car. The wheel design is a bit weird, the design is rendered well once you tone down the chrome but Revell sandwiches the brake discs between inner and outer wheel halves which is...strange.

It's molded in Poland, so I imagine there's a chance the plastic formula is better than what's being spit out of recycled take-out containers in China.

For those Tifosi who waited on this model it's a true bargain being molded in white and packaged inside a box that won't make you lose half your parts when you try to re-insert them in the box. IMHO it's a far better product in US packaging and I'm tickled pink to have bought a pair of them for less than what an original cost. I got a second kit for combining w/a Fujimi 575 curbside Maranello, though I suspect Revell will probably do a regular 575 w/this tooling at some point though I'd rather see them revise the tool the earlier 550 Barchetta.

I did a quick test-fit of the body/rear bumper, interior, chassis, and the working roof. The roof works perfectly and fits well open or closed 8)

2 of the 3 examples I've seen (one of mine, and Eric Cole's Revell Germany) roof frames were warped. Can't speak for his, but I carefully twisted/bent the frame into shape, took only a few seconds. The roof glass (if it's not warped) should also help to keep the frame straight and true when it's glued in place.

For ultimate accuracy, the entire frame and visible rotating mechanism is made of carbon fiber; it's a beautifully-rendered part on the 1:1 car.

The tolerance stack of body/interior/chassis seems to be good, the only thing I've seen so far quality-wise are a number of sink marks that will need to be filled.

Interior engraving of the door panels and seats is far superior to Fujimi's Maranellos.

Bob,

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'm one of the 3 people :lol:

Question, how difficult would it be to kitbash it with the Fujimi and create a regular 575 using the Fujimi roof/back? Or a 550 using Fujimi's 550 body and opening the hood?

I'll be on the lookout for this kit....

Thanks,

Thanks for the review Bob!

I, umm, ahem, bought the RoG kit and have yet to take it out and look at it. With your review of the Revell USA kit, I may just have to buy it again.

I gotta get one of these 550, 575, SA kits built here soon.

Person #2 that is interested.

Chris

Bob,

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'm one of the 3 people :lol:

Question, how difficult would it be to kitbash it with the Fujimi and create a regular 575 using the Fujimi roof/back? Or a 550 using Fujimi's 550 body and opening the hood?

I'll be on the lookout for this kit....

Thanks,

I haven't figured out yet how to combine this kit w/Fujimi's. Not sure if it's best to splice in Fujimi roof/deck/taillight panel, or use the entire Fujimi body and open the hood. Measurements must be taken, yada yada...and I've got no time to work on it for awhile w/other projects ahead of it :roll: :wink:

I haven't figured out yet how to combine this kit w/Fujimi's. Not sure if it's best to splice in Fujimi roof/deck/taillight panel, or use the entire Fujimi body and open the hood. Measurements must be taken, yada yada...and I've got no time to work on it for awhile w/other projects ahead of it :roll: :wink:

A quick look see I did leads me to believe opening the Fujimi's hood and putting on the Revell Chassis is the likely way to go. But, I haven't done a comprehensive review yet. It looks like trying to get the 575 roof onto the Superamerica body will be a bit of a challenge. Let you know as I research more.

Also, I have a Revell Germany 599 GTB hopefully coming this week. Will take photos when it comes in.

Gerry

I care - what's the tally up to? :D

Thanks for the review, Bob. I'm going to get one just to improve the interior on my Fujimi 575M, and maybe display the drivetrain on a stand next to it (kinda like an auto show deal).

The top design sounds neat too.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had mine sitting on my desk for a few days now and it's finally ready for primer. Real nice kit IMHO although I wonder if Revell Germany is considering offering the base Maranello in the future.

I would think Revell would be interested in doing more than one variation; if so I'd love to see them do the Superamerica's predecessor, the 550 Barchetta 8)

I'm not sure if Revell AG is as worried about making several variations from one kit as Revell USA is.