Model Cars Magazine Forum

20Th Century Cars into Kits

Hello All Great modelers of the forum!! I just thought it would be a great idea and compliment to add this Topic right next to the 21st Century Into kits, I also did this because there are so many kits unmade of specific cars, most seen on Tv or Movies, some just because they were never made, that is unless you count Resin's but those are mostly unreliable.

That's about it, So go ahead and name all of the 20th Century Cars here that you would also like to see Kitted!

As for me, I would like to see.....

1. Crysler PPG Pace Car.

2. 71-72 Buick Riviera.

3. Better Tooled '86 Camaro Kits.

The list can go on and on.

I still would like to see what you all have in mind :) .

Ok, I've found each decade is dominated by one of the big 3's trucks. I think you will find my theme fairly easily.

1930s Chevrolet / GMC & Dodge trucks as there are none, but we have the 29, 34, 37 and 40 Ford.

1940s Ford & Dodge trucks, we have the 41 Chevy which lasted through '46, and the 50 is essentially the same 47-53, so GM is well represented. There is the '40 Ford, but nothing for the 42-47, the '50 Ford covers 48-50. There is no Dodge from this period at all.

1950s Dodge trucks, Ford and Chevy have some gaps but are fairly well represented through '56. Late 50s Fords and Chevys would be welcome.

1960s Ford & Dodge trucks. Chevy is well represented in this period but the others are absent (I know there were some Ford promos but they are long gone and very basic). Re-issues of the late 60s GM trucks would be welcome.

The 70s could be pretty well dealt with through re-issues, although an early 70s Dodge would be nice. A 60-70s Ford Bronco would be nice.

The 80s are ok, again fairly well covered although re-issues would be welcome.

The 90s again did ok, certainly some missing but at least there is something to work with for the major designs from all 3.

I would welcome trucks from the smaller manufacturers as well, but making sure the big 3 were covered would be a good start.

Edited by Aaronw

A reissue of the late 60's annual kits, Pontiacs, Chevys, Mopars, stuff like that. Not all Muscle cars either, I'm talking station wagons, four doors, odd ball stuff like that..

I'd also like to see someone reissue all the old Johan kits from the 60's as well. I like those old Chrysler/Desoto led sleds B)

I would like to see a new tool i963 Buick Riviera, along the lines of Monogram's Cadillacs, Tri Chevies etc. To me it was the most beautifully styled car ever. A new 1966 Olds Toronado and a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado would also be great. AMT (or whatever they are called now) could tool up a 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix for their Monte.I think these are far more relevent than early 50's Hudsons and Chryslers which I will buy ,but have not much interest in.

A reissue of the late 60's annual kits, Pontiacs, Chevys, Mopars, stuff like that. Not all Muscle cars either, I'm talking station wagons, four doors, odd ball stuff like that..

I'd also like to see someone reissue all the old Johan kits from the 60's as well. I like those old Chrysler/Desoto led sleds :lol:

Iknow ive written this alot and everybody pobably getting sick of hearing me. But i would like to see the 73 grandville and the ventura from the 7ups :D

Guest Sickfish

Wouldn't mind an accurate, well detailed 1970 Plymouth Superbird, stock & NASCAR versions... Like the Pro-modeller Daytona Charger... Could go them both in big scale, 1:16- 1:12... I'd die a happy modeller

Station wagons, Wagons, Long roofs, 79-91 Crown Vic/ Grand Marquis, 61 Buick Bubbletop, any 65-74 Buick Gran Sport, 69-71 Plymouth fury. all in 1/25 scale.

71 Buick Sportwagon so I can replicate my 1:1 scale.

Tim

Edited by Tim H

20's: 1929 Cord L-29 the first front wheel drive car, I'll take any body style

30's: 1936-38 Dodge or Plymouth coupe, we have plenty of Fords from the 30's but NO Dodges or Plymouths

1930-37 Dusenberg, Monogram/Revell needs to come out with some more body styles for their old Dusey chassis

1935/36 Auburn 851 Boattail Speedster, can we PLEASE get something better than the old Lindberg/Pyro tooling ????????

40's: 1948 Packard

1946-48 Plymouth coupe, Ramchargers High and Mighty and Lee Petty

50's: 1957-59 Dodge D-500 and DeSoto Adventurer, 57-59 Dodge Sweptside P/U

1955-58 Studebaker Hawk

1953 Buick Century, 1955-57 Buick Roadmaster

1953 Olds Fiesta, 1955-57 Olds 88

60's: 1960/61 Chrysler 300E/F, 1968 Barracuda

1966-69 Buick GS

1963-66 Dodge Dart GT

1960-66 Plymouth Valiant

70's: 1970/71 Chrysler 300 / 300 Hurst, 70/71 Plymouth Fury GT

1971/73 Buick Riveria GS

1975-77 Chrysler Cordoba

1973/74 Plymouth Fury / Dodge Monaco 4 door

80's: 1980-87 Olds Cutlass / 442

1986 Dodge / Shelby GLHS

I can't think of anything from the 90's, besides that list should keep Revell busy for a while since Round 2 doesn't seem interested in new tooling........

Here's my three that popped in my head at this moment. I know there's a few others that I would LOVE to see as a model kit.

1975 Gran Torino

1971 Mustang Fastback (I think there's one out there, but I want one made more accurate)

1979 Lincoln Town Car (this was my firts car I bought with my own cash). :(

I can't think of anything from the 90's, besides that list should keep Revell busy for a while since Round 2 doesn't seem interested in new tooling........

What do you call the new Dodge Challenger? That was new tooling and cost dearly in this economic climate and yet I have seen very few built up on this forum. Good list however.

1971 Mustang Fastback (I think there's one out there, but I want one made more accurate)

Definitely agree with this one as I have always felt it considered a bastard stepchild by nearly everyone due to the Arab oil embargo. But I love them!

The two kits out there you need are the AMT '71 Boss 351 or Mach 1. Stay away from the '73 kits as the nose and rear bumper are not correct.

Then pick up AMT's 1971 Cougar and slip the chassis into the Mustang and you got a pretty nicely detailed engine compartment! Why the Cougar got the better chassis I have no idea but it does! The bodies are spot on, with the interior the only sticky point. But that's easy to fix. :(

Edit: My list...

1955 Buick Century/Convertible

1956 Pontiac Safari wagon

1956 Mercury Montclair Convertible....(Oh man, I love those!)

McLaren M6 CanAm/Ferrari 312 CanAm twin pak.

Edited by Jairus

Lots of good stuff called for here. Here's my additions.

1977-90 full-size Chevy sedan. Use photo-etch and separate interior panels, header and rear panels to enable building an accurate Caprice Classic or Impala.

1977-90 Full-size GM wagon. They're all Chevies from the cowl back. The front clips could be molded separately to build a Pontiac, Olds or Buick. The only difficult part might be the interiors, as those were fairly distinct from one car to the next, with detail changes frequent in-between model years.

1977-79 Caprice/Impala Coupe.

1942 De Soto.

A La Salle of some kind.

1930s-'40s Buick/Olds/Pontiacs.

A shark-nosed Graham.

More independents of any description. Studebakers, Hudsons, Nashes, Ramblers, Grahams, Huppmobiles, non-capital "C" classic Packards (e.g., 110/120,) both pre- and post-war. How about a Marmon V-16 for something totally different? Or a Franklin Olympic?

1953 Olds Fiesta/Buick Skylark/Cadillac Eldorado.

1949 Olds 88.

A Corvair Lakewood, Greenbrier or Rampside. Why "or?" do all of the above.

1965-70-ish Chevy/GMC van.

1981-'87 Olds Cutlass Supreme, with an accurate small-block Olds/200-4R, or 200-C if pre-1984.

Brass-era cars.

Charlie Larkin

1977-90 Full-size GM wagon. They're all Chevies from the cowl back. The front clips could be molded separately to build a Pontiac, Olds or Buick. The only difficult part might be the interiors, as those were fairly distinct from one car to the next, with detail changes frequent in-between model years.

A shark-nosed Graham.

More independents of any description. Studebakers, Hudsons, Nashes, Ramblers, Grahams, Huppmobiles, non-capital "C" classic Packards (e.g., 110/120,) both pre- and post-war. How about a Marmon V-16 for something totally different? Or a Franklin Olympic?

1953 Olds Fiesta/Buick Skylark/Cadillac Eldorado.

1949 Olds 88.

1965-70-ish Chevy/GMC van.

1981-'87 Olds Cutlass Supreme, with an accurate small-block Olds/200-4R, or 200-C if pre-1984.

I'll second all those- the fullsize GM wagon one is especially enticing. I'll also see your GMC van and raise you a first-gen Ford Econoline. I'd love a '39 Huppmobile, but know I'll never see one in kit form. (My dad has one. :P )

Oh, and ANY non-Chevy GM product is a good idea, in my book. Why build a '57 Bel Air when you could build a '57 Bonnie, Super 88, or Century?