Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya sprays

Even though I have had minimal trouble with their sprays,lately I have had some bubbling up as if the propellant gassed out after the paint "skinned over"? I don't think I'm the only one that has a problem with these sprays either. Along these lines,whenever I decant it,it sprays as well as any of the automotive lacquers I have used.

I have heard this from several people and experienced it this weekend. As soon as the can gets about helf empty, it's time to decant because it simply has too much propelant left in the can and causes the bubbling. Otherwise, I feel Tamiya is the best on the market and use them almost exclusively.

I have not experienced that issue (knock on wood), but I use Tamiya sprays extensively ... my preferred rattle can, although I am finding that the new Testors One Coat Lacquers are nearly identical in performance.

The biggest PROBLEM that I've experienced with Tamiya sprays is ... the price. Dang, that stuff is getting pricey!!

B)

To be honest with ya'all, I havent had any problems with the spray cans yet . I have asimple ole badger brush, but gosh , I haven't used it in a few years . The stuff I do, ( Gas Pumps and dioramas) just don't require a real high quality job . Iget away with muh brushes and my spray cans . Ed Shaver

Even though I have had minimal trouble with their sprays,lately I have had some bubbling up as if the propellant gassed out after the paint "skinned over"? I don't think I'm the only one that has a problem with these sprays either. Along these lines,whenever I decant it,it sprays as well as any of the automotive lacquers I have used.

I have had that problem with every can i have used . That is why I don't use the paint any more. Haven't bought a can of their paint since. Seems like a waste of money to buy their paint. I have better luck with Walmarts paint.

I have had that problem with every can i have used . That is why I don't use the paint any more. Haven't bought a can of their paint since. Seems like a waste of money to buy their paint. I have better luck with Walmarts paint.

Maybe it's the environment where they are being shot. I have never had an issue with the Tamiya sprays. I love them. The best finish I had was shot outside real quick one day. The temp was about 85 or 90 but the humidity was low (around 50 or 60%). It went on so good, I did not need to clear it, I just polished it a little. Could it also possibly just be a bad production run?

So far I have only been able to afford to buy one can, and I must say that though many have commented on the quality of the product, I did find thier comments to be true. And thus far not a single problem with that can or paint sprayed on. As soon as more funds are available I will order more.

I have used Walmart sold Krylon Paints, And I have problems out the Yin Yang, The Crystal Clear says right on the Can that it is non yellowing, yet I got yellowing every time. The more Normal solid colors were allright, but you have to watch which kind of Primer you use.

I also have one can of Rustoleum, Ford Grey which I bought at an Automotive Shop, it Spray's on nice, but no matter how much you warm the can up, and Shake the hell out of it, you still get some small bits of Orange Peel :) .

Model Master's, This is another one of my prefered choice, I have only had minor problems with the Sprays ( Mostly the cost of the little spray can ) and I love the little bottles, Painting ether way goes on smooth, dries fairly fast 10 - 20 Minutes, and looks really good.

Over all Choice, Model Master's, and Tamiya.

Also on a side note: Tamiya Kits as far as I have seen, come very accurate I would suggest those too if you can find one of choice at the right price.

Edited by davyou5

I have used them ever since they first came out. Scale Auto ran a two-part series by Pat Covert back in 2002 on how to use Tamiya sprays. I followed them and have mostly been successful. Occasionally I will get a bubble or three because I applied the paint too heavy.

I think Scale Auto has the articles on their website.

Quite Simple. If your getting bubbles your spraying too close. With the Tamiya Sprays you need to back up to about 12 to 15" instead of the usual 6 to 8".

Personally I have never had that problem at that range, it all depends upon how fast you make a pass over what you spray, Generally I use a 2 second rule.

Quite Simple. If your getting bubbles your spraying too close. With the Tamiya Sprays you need to back up to about 12 to 15" instead of the usual 6 to 8".

If I were to do that,I get too much(IMO) orange peel.I'm in Arizona,where the humidity is very low most of the year.I think the post mentioning this occurring when the can becomes half empty is probably closest to the what I've experienced.

i dont believe i have ever had any problems at all with tamiya spray cans. best nozzle i have ever used. i agree: i think if youre getting bubbles youre too close and dumping on too much paint. try backing off and applying a few more coats, then make your final coat a close up "flow" coat that will smooth out all the orange peel. i guess its possible that temp and humidity might affect it, ive never had a problem here in california central valley.

(ps: i did have a problem with a certain karmann ghia but turns out i was using the wrong type of tamiya paint, that for clear RC bodies. so it wasnt the paint it was user error).

i dont believe i have ever had any problems at all with tamiya spray cans. best nozzle i have ever used. i agree: i think if youre getting bubbles youre too close and dumping on too much paint. try backing off and applying a few more coats, then make your final coat a close up "flow" coat that will smooth out all the orange peel. i guess its possible that temp and humidity might affect it, ive never had a problem here in california central valley.

(ps: i did have a problem with a certain karmann ghia but turns out i was using the wrong type of tamiya paint, that for clear RC bodies. so it wasnt the paint it was user error).

Yeah,the Tamiya tip is the best.Would like to figure out a way to adapt one to Testors lacquers. I guess I'll just decant and airbrush the stuff,it is great paint.

Maybe it's the environment where they are being shot. I have never had an issue with the Tamiya sprays. I love them. The best finish I had was shot outside real quick one day. The temp was about 85 or 90 but the humidity was low (around 50 or 60%). It went on so good, I did not need to clear it, I just polished it a little. Could it also possibly just be a bad production run?

I doubt it was a bad production run as i heve tried several different cans over the years and get the same results. Testors new lacquer paints work better for me/ Of course I hardly ever use any thing out of the can always spray it into my6 airbrush bottle and use my airbrush. For the price of Tamiya paints i'll just go to an autoparts store and get a bigger can of Duplicolor paint . Those spray better than any hobbie paints and I do spray them from the can.

Love the stuff. Sprayed directly out of the can it goes on well. Decanted directly into the airbrush bottle and it goes on perfect. While I've never had bubble problems with Tamiya I have had that trouble a couple of times with the Testors lacquer but as has been suggested distance appears to be the factor here. As one poster suggested the Tamiya nozzle is the best there is, I've never had one clog up or spit paint. If Tamiya were ever to discontinue their line of synthetic lacquers I suspect I'd give up car modelling and go back to aircraft.

robw