Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey all,

I was out and about in my travels for work Monday, and look what I ran across in a customers yard. These came off of my phone

A late 50's Ford..Fairlane, maybe?

phonepics003.jpg

phonepics007.jpg

1960 Cadillac

phonepics005.jpg

phonepics008.jpg

And he was nice enough to let me look in his garage as we share an interest in old cars :D

Unfortunately, all I had was my camera phone, and it was dark in there.. :P

phonepics009.jpg

A 1950 Ford, chopped, and a 1969 Road Runner.

The Road Runner had a 4 speed tranny with a pistol grip shifter, and it said "440" on the hood. Oh yeah BABY!! :P

I drooled the whole time I was in there...

Anyway, I thought I'd share :D

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

Hey all,

I was out and about in my travels for work Monday, and look what I ran across in a customers yard. These came off of my phone

A late 50's Ford..Fairlane, maybe?

phonepics003.jpg

phonepics007.jpg

1960 Cadillac

phonepics005.jpg

phonepics008.jpg

And he was nice enough to let me look in his garage as we share an interest in old cars :blink:

Unfortunately, all I had was my camera phone, and it was dark in there.. B)

phonepics009.jpg

A 1950 Ford, chopped, and a 1969 Road Runner.

The Road Runner had a 4 speed tranny with a pistol grip shifter, and it said "440" on the hood. Oh yeah BABY!! :P

I drooled the whole time I was in there...

Anyway, I thought I'd share :D

Cheers, Ian

cool pics ian really nice :P

• 10 years later...
25 minutes ago, espo said:

The last picture makes me sad to see.

Yeah, many of these pictures were taken by the Resetttlement Dept.(?), and most before and around the Great Depression, so many people deep in poverty are pictured, but I thought this particular image was worth sharing. The Model A caught my eye, and the overall composition (not to mention the photographer's timing) are obvious.

29 minutes ago, espo said:

The '56 Chevrolet 210 has the same two tone paint that my family's car had in '56. 

I try to share some which have a scale counterpart, and with Revell's '56 Del Ray easily available again, this one worked.

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah, many of these pictures were taken by the Resetttlement Dept.(?), and most before and around the Great Depression, so many people deep in poverty are pictured, but I thought this particular image was worth sharing. The Model A caught my eye, and the overall composition (not to mention the photographer's timing) are obvious.

I try to share some which have a scale counterpart, and with Revell's '56 Del Ray easily available again, this one worked.

Got to wonder how the wood spokes got broken on the one car sitting in the snow. Could have been spinning the tires in the snow and they suddenly got traction maybe ? 

On 2/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, espo said:

Got to wonder how the wood spokes got broken on the one car sitting in the snow. Could have been spinning the tires in the snow and they suddenly got traction maybe ? 

The car appears to be up on the sidewalk, so perhaps a slide from the street, with the curb (if there was one) taking out a few spokes. Looking at the tread on both the broken wheel/tire and the spare, I'd guess sudden traction of any sort is not a consideration. 😲 Maybe tire treads weren't a thing back then?

Mr. Chevrolet:

26953u.jpg.5192ccbf1cd751627494c2a73a8f3f7e.jpg

26956u.jpg.a2b561eeb05566a7bffa75090b8164eb.jpg

26958u1.jpg.6680d80095865136b8b65455015e1622.jpg

This car carries two spares?:

29643u.jpg.7b1c9e301a4badb703840222b6d30141.jpg

toyopet.jpg.8afb234c36ca07333da347c024436b89.jpg

1 hour ago, misterNNL said:

I am always impressed by the crisp,clear quality of the professional black and white photos taken approximately 90 years ago. The depth of field focus is incredible. Thanks to everyone for them.

Most of these, especially the D.C area images (which seems to comprise 60%+ of the images at shorpy.com) were taken by professional photographers and scanned from plate glass negatives, which seems to be a big reason for the clarity, etc. It really is amazing how many details you can see. Kodachrome images, a bit less so, but there's something in every images if you look long and hard enough.

09155u.jpg.25ae0e75ebee58f45c1ea1c786eaf863.jpg

In the one Street photo shown above three of the cars parked at the curb have two license plates on the rear. I didn't notice that until I enlarged the image on the screen of my Kindle tablet. You can even read the signs in the window of the book store. A fascinating look at a snippet of time.

Here's one for the Trekkies. Good CA blue plate to use when building the AMT '64 Galaxie, too. Gregg would approve. 🙃

"December 29, 1964: STAR TREK’s original eleven-foot Enterprise parked outside Volmer Jensen’s Production Models Shop in Burbank, California"

155799412_1525898554285894_701161139872082522_o.jpg.5fcd70c54d3a558e6fb3a0e1be244a0e.jpg

Edited by Casey

Many interesting details on this Ford Model T-- standard(?) radiator cap (no Motometer?), cowl vent is open, and what are those tapered springs on the front suspension?

12379u.jpg.7d83262426b6be199c396c125d755dea.jpg

Edited by Casey

I don't think that's a Ford. Body, door cuts, wheels, radiator shell, visor, door hinges, door handles don't appear to be consistent with Ford Model T parts. 

Regarding the lack of a Moto-Meter, most Model T Fords wouldn't likely have Moto-Meters. Model Ts were cheap conveyance and Moto-Meters were expensive. They were not standard (or even common) equipment.

The majority of Model Ts were sold  to budget-minded people, many of limited resources, and Moto-Meters were expensive. I've heard jokes among restorers that the quickest way to double the value of a Model T, back in the day, was to install a Moto-Meter. By the 30's, the picture changed as consumers had more money and bought more expensive cars  . . .  and, of course, stylishness came into vogue. The aftermarket really came to life.

🌵😎

On 3/7/2021 at 10:24 PM, Casey said:

Many interesting details on this Ford Model T-- standard(?) radiator cap (no Motometer?), cowl vent is open, and what are those tapered springs on the front suspension?

12379u.jpg.7d83262426b6be199c396c125d755dea.jpg

Those tapered coil springs were an after market accessory part. I have seen them in person on model T Fords.

Edited by misterNNL
My kindle thinks it knows what I'm trying to say.

2 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

Those tapered coil springs were an after market accessory part. I have seen them in person on model T Fords.

Now that I have answered the spring thing, who knows what that little thing on the rear fender might be, a light maybe?

The '50 Ford Creastline two door looks great, always liked that body style. The little chrome thingies on the top of the rear fenders above the tail lights must have been a Pep Boys addon to make you think your car had fins.