Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 hours ago, espo said:

The '50 Ford Creastline two door looks great, always liked that body style. The little chrome thingies on the top of the rear fenders above the tail lights must have been a Pep Boys addon to make you think your car had fins. 

That appears to be exactly what they are. Not the worst, honestly. Even the vinyl top and "chrome" side trim (did they have adhesive backed flexible plastic chrome trim back then?) is tastefully done. The way the vinyl(?) top is done sort of precludes the '69 Camaro style vinyl top style, too.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, Casey said:

That appears to be exactly what they are. Not the worst, honestly. Even the vinyl top and "chrome" side trim (did they have adhesive backed flexible plastic chrome trim back then?) is tastefully done. The way the vinyl(?) top is done sort of precludes the '69 Camaro style vinyl top style, too.

My understanding about the Crestline model had to do with Ford not having a hardtop two door model like GM started offering with the '49 year model cars and Chevrolet in particular. They were even supposed to have been offered in the early '51 model production and I have seen as many '51's as I have seen '50's. My only experience with the side moldings was to see them on an actual car and as I recall they were a thin chrome plated metal molding and the method usually used at the time would have been a clip on the back of the molding that attached to a hole in the body. The interior also had several trim differences including a different steering wheel and upholstery as well as additional chrome trim on the dash. There're several for sale on E-Bay and it would be easy for someone wanting additional information to look for the pictures there. My understanding also is that they were only offered in three colors, Bronze, Maroon, or a Yellow and Black was always the secondary color.  

• 8 months later...
20 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

This looks to be an interesting blog on the history of Portland, OR.  I like that this image is mostly red and white...

https://stumptownblogger.typepad.com/stumptownblogger/portland-history/page/406/

6a010536b86d36970c01b7c8664871970b-pi

That sedan parked at the curb has a lot in common with the famous "Orange Crate".

On 3/7/2021 at 11:24 PM, Casey said:

Many interesting details on this Ford Model T-- standard(?) radiator cap (no Motometer?), cowl vent is open, and what are those tapered springs on the front suspension?

12379u.jpg.7d83262426b6be199c396c125d755dea.jpg

On 3/9/2021 at 4:49 AM, Danno said:

I don't think that's a Ford. Body, door cuts, wheels, radiator shell, visor, door hinges, door handles don't appear to be consistent with Ford Model T parts. 

Regarding the lack of a Moto-Meter, most Model T Fords wouldn't likely have Moto-Meters. Model Ts were cheap conveyance and Moto-Meters were expensive. They were not standard (or even common) equipment.

The majority of Model Ts were sold  to budget-minded people, many of limited resources, and Moto-Meters were expensive. I've heard jokes among restorers that the quickest way to double the value of a Model T, back in the day, was to install a Moto-Meter. By the 30's, the picture changed as consumers had more money and bought more expensive cars  . . .  and, of course, stylishness came into vogue. The aftermarket really came to life.

🌵😎

I wonder if that's a Canadian or maybe Australian built Ford? I know there were differences between them and U.S. built Fords.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, espo said:

The '50 Ford Creastline two door looks great, always liked that body style. The little chrome thingies on the top of the rear fenders above the tail lights must have been a Pep Boys addon to make you think your car had fins. 

They do look a little funky.  I think there was some aftermarket tail fin trim available for the Shoebox back in the day.  

Screenshot 2022-01-07 082137.jpg

10 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Exactly like that. I spotted them at a local car show and later scratch built a set for one of my models.

I would love to see a photo of the model sporting the Hasslers in place. It would be a beat but tricky to build addition to a Model T in scale.

40 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

I would love to see a photo of the model sporting the Hasslers in place. It would be a beat but tricky to build addition to a Model T in scale.

PM me your email address and I'll take a pix of those springs in place on my model