Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Lonestar 1st test shot

Kostas,

Here is a comparison between a few models.

The difference between a 1/24th scale model is measurably different - but when parked next to each other it is hardly noticeable. The Italeri and Revell or Germany kits tend to sit high as if they were molded with the springs in the unladen height. If the Italeri Peterbilt had a Low Air Leaf suspension and low profile tires it would sit similarly to the LoneStar model.

I'm thinking that you might be able to 'scale up' the LoneStar with 1/24th wheels and Italeri or aftermarket tires.

Tim

post-4-0-61132500-1293142693_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-36892000-1293142704_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-41028500-1293142718_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-27122800-1293142742_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-72811500-1293142764_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-94770400-1293142783_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-67562500-1293142795_thumb.jpg

What I first noticed when observing the side by side comparison of the trucks on Tim's post is how light years ahead Italeri and Moebius are with their models. The AMT and Revell Snap kit look crude. Second, the Lonestar model seems to have an extra long frame. Longer than any actual subject I have seen on the road or in photographs. For some reason when paired up with a 1/25th or 1/24th scale van trailer, the scale differences are made more apparent. To the casual truck modeler that is happy making fantasy tractors with over sized sleepers or freakishly unreal multi axles, this may not make any difference, but to modelers wishing to recreate a scale representative of the real thing, this will matter.

To the casual truck modeler that is happy making fantasy tractors with over sized sleepers or freakishly unreal multi axles, this may not make any difference, but to modelers wishing to recreate a scale representative of the real thing, this will matter.

I'm not trying to start anything here, but it just surprises me how it always seems you are always the one who seems to have negative comments when everyone is praising a subject. First off, AMT and Revell snap kits may be crude to you, but you're comparing apples to oranges here. There is probably at least 10 years difference in technology between the 70s molds of most AMT kits and the Revell snap kits compared to most of the late 80s technology of most of the Italeri kits, and of course the over 30 years difference to the new Lonestar.

Second, I think the frame is fine on the Lonestar. I, for one, have always liked space in bteween the sleeper and trailer, both in scale and on my 1:1 rigs. I always set, both again in scale an 1:1, the fifth wheel so the front of the trailer and the front quarter fenders line up or the top of the quarter fenders are just under the nose of the trailer, not only for tighter turns when I might have needed it, but just personal preference as well. It also made the 1:1s easier to scale even with the heaviest of loads.

As for scales, I seem to remember another thread where you complained about the very slight difference between scales and the photographic proof I posted that proves it doesn't matter! If a couple 32s of an inch matter to you, so be it, keep building your 1/24 scale trucks, it will leave more Lonestars for the rest of us.

I have to say the biggest thing you said that offends me the most is the comment I quoted. I just happen to enjoy large custom sleepers, and I'm far from a casual truck modeler! I'm also a driver with over 12 years on the road and more than 1,000,000 SAFE miles in the seat, and I build trucks to reprsent their 1:1 counterparts as well. I do not see how you concider oversized sleepers a fanatsy truck, I see quite a few on the road and in truck stops every day! Same goes for multiaxle rigs, I seem to remember one Tim built a while back, with pics of the original if I remember correctly. Are you daring say that build is "freakishly unreal"? They are quite real, especially in Tim's home state of Michigan!

Just because things don't meet your obviously superhigh standards, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to live to your standards! If you don't like truck kits so much, why not just stop building them since they don't meet your standards. It will leave more for us "amateurs"!!!

Before anyone gets wound up over wheelbase.. I'd rather have a kit have excessive frame than not enough. A long frame can always be shortened. A short frame is a bit more difficult.

With that said.. the real truck that they measured (the blue one in another post) seems to have a long wheelbase, but the kit appears to be longer. The solution? Fill the space with some tool boxes. Doesn't Western have some long wheelbase west-coast versions?

In my comparison photos - the yellow Revell 359 is a Revell of Germany kit with a Revell snap sleeper, Italeri wheels, tires and tanks and an AMT bumper.

The wheelbase was shortened too. In reality, the real 359 looks crude compared to a modern truck. (Blasphemy! I know).

Tim

I'm not trying to start anything here, but it just surprises me how it always seems you are always the one who seems to have negative comments when everyone is praising a subject.

Just because things don't meet your obviously superhigh standards, it doesn't mean the rest of us have to live to your standards! If you don't like truck kits so much, why not just stop building them since they don't meet your standards. It will leave more for us "amateurs"!!!

In reality, the real 359 looks crude compared to a modern truck. (Blasphemy! I know).

Tim

I guess some people are allowed to express their opinion and others aren't.

My apologies

Tomatos/tomatoes. That Lonestar is one awesome kit and without a doubt the best big rig model kit manufactured in the past ... what? ... 30 years!

Kudos to Moebius!!! Bring it on, a silly millimeter narrower/lower/shorter/longer or whatever.

(My eyeballs aren't that accurately calibrated, anyway.)

:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to start anything here, but it just surprises me how it always seems you are always the one who seems to have negative comments when everyone is praising a subject. First off, AMT and Revell snap kits may be crude to you, but you're comparing apples to oranges here. There is probably at least 10 years difference in technology between the 70s molds of most AMT kits and the Revell snap kits compared to most of the late 80s technology of most of the Italeri kits, and of course the over 30 years difference to the new Lonestar.

Second, I think the frame is fine on the Lonestar. I, for one, have always liked space in bteween the sleeper and trailer, both in scale and on my 1:1 rigs. I always set, both again in scale an 1:1, the fifth wheel so the front of the trailer and the front quarter fenders line up or the top of the quarter fenders are just under the nose of the trailer, not only for tighter turns when I might have needed it, but just personal preference as well. It also made the 1:1s easier to scale even with the heaviest of loads.

As for scales, I seem to remember another thread where you complained about the very slight difference between scales and the photographic proof I posted that proves it doesn't matter! If a couple 32s of an inch matter to you, so be it, keep building your 1/24 scale trucks, it will leave more Lonestars for the rest of us.

I have to say the biggest thing you said that offends me the most is the comment I quoted. I just happen to enjoy large custom sleepers, and I'm far from a casual truck modeler! I'm also a driver with over 12 years on the road and more than 1,000,000 SAFE miles in the seat, and I build trucks to reprsent their 1:1 counterparts as well. I do not see how you concider oversized sleepers a fanatsy truck, I see quite a few on the road and in truck stops every day! Same goes for multiaxle rigs, I seem to remember one Tim built a while back, with pics of the original if I remember correctly. Are you daring say that build is "freakishly unreal"? They are quite real, especially in Tim's home state of Michigan!

I agree 100%. I am all about space between the sleeper and the front of the trailer and it actually bothers me when a trailer does not sit square over the drives.

I was thinking of how one might look in a Jade green like that but then I remembered, HMMMMMMMM, I have Western Distributing decals and color matched paint!!!!

I think the ol' 53 Pete is going to have a modern companion! B)

Our LoneStar is intended to be 274 inch wheelbase that's 274 inches center line of front axle to centerline of space between drive axles.

overall length of a truck with that wheelbase is 372 inches..

The test shots I have sitting here pretty well fit those dimensions @ 1/25 scale.

Our Truck rides on Navistar's own rear suspension package which they refer to it as IROS...

Not sure what the front suspension is, the truck my wife and I went down to photograph was an early development model and it had Hendrickson on both ends and had airbage under the front - the kit has leaf springs - a fairly standard heavy truck front end..

As for price range when we were there to shoot photos we were told that the target market for LoneStar was the owner operator... that this truck could be had with every luxury..

The one we got to crawl all over with a camera was loaded with goodies including a hardwood floor in the sleeper and if my memory serves me I want to think that price for one like it was north of 300,000.00

Dave

Edited by Dave Metzner

Here are some with-trailer shots to show how the LoneStar fits with 1/25th scale trailers. I shot random trailers.

The LS 5th wheel is a bit lower than the AMT 5th wheels so my multi-axle Michigan-type trailers seem to 'hover' over the LS's 5th wheel. The trailers were built to accept the higher AMT 5th wheel which always seemed too high and also to sit with the 1/24th tractors.

The AMT and Ertl trailers fit width wise, but since these are mostly older trailers, the king pin is pretty far forward and there isn't a lot of room for the axles on a forward pin/forward 5th wheel set up modern config. An easy fix on a flatbed or the tanker, not so easy on the livestock or lowboy.

I haven't tried the Beall tanker (because I haven't built one yet..)

Tim

(dump trailer added - a built-up I bought from ?)

post-4-0-11509100-1293406306_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-67273800-1293406320_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-17011500-1293406332_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-58161400-1293406343_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-32356500-1293406353_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-67928400-1293406380_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-83932800-1293406412_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-09109200-1293406427_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-04931900-1293406442_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-44237300-1293456764_thumb.jpg

post-4-0-12959000-1293456828_thumb.jpg

Nice pics Tim, but it does have me wondering one thing. I prefer to set my trucks up so the nose of the trailer line up with the front quarter fenders like this,

HPIM2943.jpg

I started doing this mainly because I did this one the 1:1s not only for a cleaner look, but made scaling heavier loads easier as well. I've found through the years AMT trucks are much easier to do this with thanks to the "sliding" fifth wheel than the "fixed" fifth wheel in Italeri kits, where I usually have to adjust the entire mounting plate.

How does the fifth wheel mount in the Lonestar? Is it more like an AMT where it can be positioned anywhere or more like the Italeri with a "fixed" mount on the mounting plate?

man I really can't wait to put in an order for one or two of these trucks, it is so nice to see NEW models being brought out by companies! and to say that it doesn't really fit well with the trailers is an understatement....those trailers are so old looking that they don't even match in comparison....Tim have you built the italeri trailer kit yet? I'd like to see what it would look like in front of one of those trailers...

Chad