Model Cars Magazine Forum

Parts box fillers............which kits?

revell limited edition kits

my favorite is the 69 charger (two engines and race options) or the 32 (or 34) ford that has a 5.0 mudstank engine as well as a 396 hemi

the modified stockers car hauler 57 F100 has a flattie and a firedome hemi with two different intake aswell as a bumcha custom parts and tools

and lets not forget the 70 superbee pro street with 426 hemi AND DOHC hemi

revell limited edition kits

my favorite is the 69 charger (two engines and race options) or the 32 (or 34) ford that has a 5.0 mudstank engine as well as a 396 hemi

the modified stockers car hauler 57 F100 has a flattie and a firedome hemi with two different intake aswell as a bumcha custom parts and tools

and lets not forget the 70 superbee pro street with 426 hemi AND DOHC hemi

Hey Eelco, I have a 68 Charger that has all the extras. Is there a 69 that has all that stuff also? Don't forget the 67 Chevelle ProStreet.

Start with any kit that has parts you need for a specific project. If you want a Ford 4-cam 4.6 and some cool wheels for a street rod, it's hard to go wrong with AMT '32 Ford Vicky. It has lots of cool parts for street rods. Monogram's '69 Torino Talladega has a great big block. The Testors Vantastic family of cars have really cool seats for a street rod or street machine. IMHO, it's better to hunt for parts you want. If you're looking a special part, just ask on here what kit has what you're after. Use those parts and the rest goes into the spares stash.

What kits make great parts box fillers? All of them!!! :unsure:;):)

Every kit I own...new or old, current or vintage, built or unbuilt, cheap or expensive, is potential parts box filler.

True

Start with any kit that has parts you need for a specific project. If you want a Ford 4-cam 4.6 and some cool wheels for a street rod, it's hard to go wrong with AMT '32 Ford Vicky. It has lots of cool parts for street rods. Monogram's '69 Torino Talladega has a great big block. The Testors Vantastic family of cars have really cool seats for a street rod or street machine. IMHO, it's better to hunt for parts you want. If you're looking a special part, just ask on here what kit has what you're after. Use those parts and the rest goes into the spares stash.

Lee I was mostly wondering what kits had a lot of extra parts that you could the car and still have a bunch of parts left over, but the Vicky huh, might have to get one.

The Round2 re-issue of the AMT '60 Ford has 2 complete FE engines and 3 intake options. There are other duplicate parts as well, a great kit. The Round2 '62 Pontiac is another good parts kit. Stock and custom exterior parts and 2 complete interiors. The Revell Black Widow '57 Chevy has 2 engines. Most of the old AMT Trophy Series kits have 2 complete engines. There are lots of others out there.

A lot of the recently re-issued AMT kits have extra parts (1962 Buick comes to mind, horrible kit but has extra parts), and the 56 Ford Pick-up (blue truck on the box top). As mentioned, the Revell Tuner series Hondas and Acuras along with their Subaru WRX STi, some of the newer Revell 'special edition' kits, and if you are into that sort of thing the AMT Double Dragster re-issue.

Also, don't be afraid to part out some Die-Casts as some have really cool stuff in them.

Edited by whale392

I like the AMT '71 Dusters for the engines for various swaps...and the chassis to update old MPC kits.

The Revell '32 Ford kits for the 5.0 engine to swap into various Mustangs, etc.

The AMT '68-69 Plymouths for the Hemis, 440s, and chassis for swaps w/ older MPC kits, etc..

AMT '67 Impala. Floorpan, chassis and engine compartment will work under a lot of mid- sixties GM full sizers (Grand Prix, Wildcat, Bonneville, 88)

AMT '60 Ford. Floorpan, chassis and engine compartment can be used under virtually any 1960- '64 full- sized Ford, Mercury or Edsel.

AMT '65 Ford. Chassis can be modified for use under any '65- '70 full- size Ford, Mercury or, with some work, the Thunderbird from '67- '71.

Just about any '60's tooled AMT kit- you can build a complete model from one kit, and often have enough spares left over for dozens of other projects. The Mopar pro street kits are similar- you get a stock Dana 60 axle and a set of Magnum 500 wheels left over from other issues of the kits. I've bought at least two Super Bee pro street kits JUST for that Dana 60!