Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine Data Base

I was thinking of creating a list of available engines and the kits they are found in. I do not wish to reinvent any wheels. Does anyone know of any such lists posted? Is anyone but me interested in such a waste of time?

I would like to compile a list of reasonably available kits as sources for various engines, mostly street rod types.

Slant 6...AMT Deora

Cross Ram Inducted Mopar...Johan '68 Chrysler 300

Pontiac V-8...Revell 56 F-100

If this type of database would be a service maybe we could put it together here for future reference.

Here is a list of sources to get started.

Desoto Fire Dome Hemi, carb/fi x8 AMT 53 F-100

Chrysler Fire Power Hemi Supercharged x2 AMT 53 Starliner Cpe

Supercharged Blueprinter Engines

Desoto Fire Dome Eight carb x6 Monogram Lil' Coffin

Chrysler Firepower CrossRam (long) Johan 68 Chry. 300

Cadillac Supercharged AMT 59 ElCamino

3x2bbl AMT 49 Ford

4 or 6x2bbl Revell Parts Paks

Chevrolet 6 Cyl AMT 37 Chev Cabriolet, 51 Chev, 60 Chev P/U

Galaxy 48 Chev

Revell 41 Chev P/U

Pontiac 1x4bbl Revell 56 F-100

3x2bbl or Supercharged Revell Parts Paks

SOHC 427 2x4bbl AMT 66 Galaxie

W Block Chev 348-409 AMT 58 Impala, 59 ElCamino, 62 BelAir

Revell 53,54,55 Chev

Slant 6 Cyl AMT/MPC Deora

Ford 4 Cyl Winfield head Revell 29 P/U

Riley 2 Port head (OHV) Revell 31 Woody,Sedan

These are all engines in kits that I could verify from my humble collection.

I did not list obvious sources like Mercury engines in Mercury kits.

I did list some interesting and sought after parts combos.

Please add to the list, but only those that you know are correct so that we can have a reliable resource.

Looks like a good idea.

How about a standardised format to make it easy to sort them?

If we name each column, the table can be sorted in a spreadsheet.

How about?

engine-models.jpg

Didn't know where to put these;

Supercharged Blueprinter Engines

Galaxy 48 Chev

Revell 41 Chev P/U

W Block Chev 348-409 AMT 58 Impala, 59 ElCamino, 62 BelAir

Revell 53,54,55 Chev

If they're in wrong spots they are easy changed, but I figure you would get the idea.

:)

Steve,

The chart looks excellent. It is what I would have done if I wasn't just a hack with this computer thingy. When I made my list the computer justified all info to the left, so lines that start with ,for example "2x4bbl" should fall under the engine type listed above. Thanks for putting in the effort ! 8)

The list is great. I'd love to be able to see where I could find some offbeat motors and accessories, as well as some of the old standards.

I have a minor suggestion: In the engine type column, you might just go with the cylinder configuration such as I6 for an inline six-cylinder, V8 or I8 for V- or Straight-8 motors, Flat 4 for VW motors and so on.

Then maybe add another column for additional info such as Hemi Firepower or Red Ram or flathead, OHV, Riley or Winfield head. Btw, those motors with the Riley and Winfield heads are the same Model A flathead I4 motor with OHV or F-head conversions.

I'll be happy to help with any displacement or configuration questions...at least those that are in my knowledge base...like the 348/409 Chevy motors might be listed as V8 (W-motor). Smallblocks (283, 327, 350) could be described as SBC (small block Chevy) and 396, 427 and 454 could be shown as BBC (big block Chevy.)

I'm not to good on later Ford motors other than Y-blocks, so if Raisin is around here, he could prolly help out with that.

Slotbaker asked about the Revell 53-55 Chevy motors. I'm not exactly sure what's in the kit, but the standard motor for all these cars was a 235 cid I6 known as the "Blue Flame" six. in 1955, the V8 option was introduced and it had a displacement of 265 cid. The earlier Chevys (41 and 48 ) would have also had the venerable Blue Flame Six (also known as a Stovebolt 6) in 216 or 235 cid form. This Stovebolt was used up until 62 (and 63 in some cases) when it was replaced by the 194/230/250/292 I6 motor that was originally introduced in the Chevy II. I have a 292 in my 64 C10 truck and it's a great motor.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea. And if all else fails, I could host it in html form (and a link to download a spreadsheet) on my web server. Let's keep it going.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea. And if all else fails, I could host it in html form (and a link to download a spreadsheet) on my web server. Let's keep it going.

Sounds good.

Unless there is a better way, how about we use those headings for each column and post info here separating columns with ">" so they can easily be added to the list.

No spaces before or after the ">".

eg

Eng Make>Type>Capacity>Induction>Kit Brand>Kit Description>Kit P/n

Cadillac>?>?>Supercharged>AMT>59 El Camino>?

Chev>6 Cyl>?>Carb>AMT>37 Chev Cabriolet>?

Chev>6 Cyl>?>Carb>AMT>51 Chev>?

Chev>6 Cyl>?>Carb>AMT>60 Chev P/u>?

Chrysler>Fire Power Hemi>?>Supercharged>AMT>53 Stude Starliner Cpe>?

Chrysler>Slant 6 Cyl>?>AMT/MPC>Deora>?

Chrysler>Firepower CrossRam (long)>?>?>Johan>68 Chrysler 300>?

Desoto>Fire Dome Hemi>?>Carb/fi x8>AMT>53 F-100>?

Desoto>Fire Dome>?>Eight carb x6>Monogram>Lil' Coffin>?

Ford>SOHC>427>2x4bbl>AMT>66 Galaxie>?

Ford>4 Cyl Winfield head>?>?>Revell>29 P/u>?

Generic>?>?>3x2bbl>AMT>49 Ford>?

Generic>?>?>4 or 6x3bbl>Revell>Parts Paks>?

Generic>?>?>3x2bbl>Revell>Parts Paks>?

Generic>?>?>Supercharded>Revell>Parts Paks>?

Pontiac>?>?>1x4bbl>Revell>56 F-100>?

Riley>2 port head (OHV)>?>?>Revell>31 Woody, Sedan>?

Is there any value to add column for scale? I think it would be good, and not much more effort in the first place.

I'll go thru my humble collection and post my stuff.

:lol:

I was recently thinking about the same kind of thing. Somewhere I have a list of the big truck motors from many of the big rig kits, I found someplace online last year. I'll try to find it and post the info here for whoever volunteers to compile this thing.

Great idea :P

Caterpiller (Ford) 3208, AMT Ford Louisville

Caterpiller 3406, Monogram Peterbilt 359

Cummins NHC250, AMT Freightliner COE

Cummins NTD350, AMT Diamond REO

Cummins NTA370, AMT Kenworth T600

Cummins V-903, AMT International F-4270 Transtar

Cummins N-14, Italeri / Revell-Germany Ford Aeromax 120

Detroit Diesel 8V71, AMT GMC Astro

Detroit Diesel 8V71T, AMT American LaFrance (Pumper, Ladder Chief, Aero Chief)

Detroit Diesel 8V92, AMT GMC General

Detroit Diesel 8V92T, AMT Kenworth Aerodyne COE

Detroit Diesel 12V71T, AMT Bandag bandit

Detroit Diesel 16V71, AMT International Payhauler 350

Detroit Diesel Series 60, Italeri Peterbilt 277

Ford 534SD V-8, AMT Ford C-600

International V-800, ERTL International Paystar, Int. F-2575, Int. F-2674

Mack ENDT675, AMT Mack RS685

Mack ENDT676, AMT Mack Cruiseliner

Mack ENDT865, AMT Mack DM800

Volvo F10, AMT Volvo N-10

Volvo F12, AMT Volvo F-12 Globetrotter

GMC / Allison turbine, AMT GMC Astro turbine

Thats all I have

I'm halfway thru listing my kits, and will email spreadsheet to Ray over next weekend.

Hopefully Ray will add it to the site.

If we all add a few, the list will soon become fairly comprehensive.

Great stuff, man. I look forward to the new info.

Just as an aside and since I haven't had a lotta feedback on what I've done, are folks ok with this format and the way I've described the motors? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks,

Aaron: Thanks for the truck engine data. I've added them to the web page.

http://www.chevyasylum.com/models/motors/ModelMotors.html

Just a quick question. I'm trying to find out the cylinder arrangement and displacement of the motors. I'm givin it my best shot, but could you double-check the web page to see if I need to make some corrections?

One other thing....I'm assuming all of these are turbocharged diesel motors....is that correct or are some of them supercharged or fuel injected only?

If anyone else has data to add, please sent it to me at rbuck@aros.net and I'll get it done as quickly as I can.

Just a quick question. I'm trying to find out the cylinder arrangement and displacement of the motors. I'm givin it my best shot, but could you double-check the web page to see if I need to make some corrections?

Yeah, that's gonna be a problem for maintaining the list.

I think it would be good for whoever submits the information to fill in the gaps. That's what is taking me so long, I'm doing it as I go, so as not to leave gaps.

There are some kits with alternate engines (eg MPC Daytona with 4cyl & V8 fwd) that don't give any info on what the alternate is, so there will be the odd blank.

:)

This is starting to look good, one thing I noticed you mixed up the CAT 3406 and Cummins NHC250, everything is right until the notes section, the 3406 is a CAT the NHC250 is a Cummins.

Caterpillar

3208 10.4L (636 cid) V-8

3406 15.8L (964 cid) I-6

Cummins

NHC 250 14.0L (855 cid) I-6

NTA 370 14.0L (855 cid) I-6 Turbo

NTC 350 14.0L (855 cid) I-6 Turbo

V-903 14.8L (903 cid) V-8

N-14 14.0L (855 cid) I-6 Turbo

Detroit Diesel

Series 60 11.1L (677 cid) I-6 Turbo

8V71 9.3L (568 cid) V-8 (2 stroke)

8V71T 9.3L (568 cid) V-8 Turbo (2-stroke)

12V71T 13.9L (850 cid) V-12 Turbo (2-stroke)

16V71 18.6L (1132 cid) V-16 (2-stroke)

8V92 8.6L (522 cid) V8 (2-stroke)

Volvo

N10 10.0L (610 cid) Turbo

N-12 12.0L (732 cid) Turbo

Thats what I could find online. I could not find anything on the Int. V-800 but I'm 99% sure is is a gas motor, nothing on the Macks and could not find the configuration, # cyl on the Volvos. I'll post a link to this thread in the truck section to see if someone that really knows their truck engines (like Dieseldoc) will help out with the missing data and maybe more kit engines.

Thanks, Slotbaker.

Just to shed a little light on that, He (Slotbaker) added a WHOLE bunch of motors to the spreadsheet and made some changes in the columns that make a lot of sense. The vew version is on my server at:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/models/motors/ModelMotors.html

One thing I've thought about is possibly making 3 sections or 3 separate pages: one for US motors, one for "foreign" or non-US lumps and one for truck motors. It would make it a little more difficult to maintain if it was all in one, but it might make more sense and add a bit to its useability.

Lemme know whatcha think, k?

I posted a message over in the truck section hoping to get some more knowledgeable truck modelers to add to this.

One suggestion was adding after market engines and possibly doing something similar for other components like transmissions, axles etc.

I held off adding my two cents till now... however, I gotta add something.

What is the purpose of adding foreign engines? Is someone really going to ask where to find, say.... a Subaru flat 4? Hmmmmm?

The reason for this list... at least at the beginning of the thread was for the purposes of engine swapping! Otherwise, most kits already include the correct engine. At least that is what I thought....

Adding a foreign engine defeats the purpose unless the engine applies itself to Street Rodding such as a cool Columbo designed Ferrari V12 (arr, arr, arr).

Otherwise, this list would probably be most useful if confined to some parameters such as Street Rodding or Hot Rodding.... or ?

Opinions?