Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth k123 w/ drom box

I've been checking this site out for a while now and there are some fantastic builds on here. I figure it's time to introduce myself and post something. My name is Jim and I am the plant manager of a sign company in Columbus Ohio. I have been building trucks on and off for 30 + years. This is the latest one that I finished. I started with an amt torsion bar kit, lengthened the frame, scratch built the drom from a Ford short hauler box, dropped in a Cat v8, swapped out the wheels and tires from a White, and painted it in Andrews van lines livery. I need to replace the windshield one of these days due to an accidental mishap with super glue accelerator. Eventually it will have a Trailmobile moving van behind it. Thanks for looking.

Picture004.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Great job. I always liked these in red and white. BTW, what is a drom box and what is it used for?

Thanks. Drom boxes were used to carry extra freight mainly out west where the length laws were not so restrictive. Moving companies and bakeries used them quite often since the loads were light weight, but I have seen dromedary tanks, flat decks, livestock bodies etc. There are lots of photos on Hank's, especially under Russ MacNiell's link.

Jim

Thanks. Drom boxes were used to carry extra freight mainly out west where the length laws were not so restrictive. Moving companies and bakeries used them quite often since the loads were light weight, but I have seen dromedary tanks, flat decks, livestock bodies etc. There are lots of photos on Hank's, especially under Russ MacNiell's link.

Jim

Interesting; didn't know that. Beautiful build, and an education, too! Thanks.

:D

BTW guys, the term DROM box is taken from.....you guessed it (I hope) the dromedary(sp) camel. One hump set upon his back. I did a ton of research on it not too long ago because I am building a "north American" van lines with a drom and up and coming plans are for a tank drom on a Mack COE with an "A" and a "B" unit. Have an awesome 1:1 reference photo for it.

Cheers

Barry

super job on this one, nice paint job, does the drom have the gold added as well?

Thanks Tony. I didn't add the gold to the drom box because all of the photos that I've seen on Hank's site have the tractor painted in their own scheme and the drom stripes match the lines of the trailer.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/macneil/2005/dec05/file003.jpg

I may have to start the trailer sooner than I had planned!

Jim