Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why is primer showing through on final coat???

2406098640082984748S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the sleeper from my "Movin On" Kenworth. As you can see, the primer is showing through around the door and the roof. I'm using Tamiya fine white primer and Tamiya Racing green. Both out of the can. I'm warming the cans in hot water and shaking the heck out of them. I start with a few mist coats, and let them tack up between them. I'm also painting in 70 degrees.

I've got a second sleeper that I'm going to try painting. Would it make sense to spray a flat green after the primer, before the gloss color? Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

The other problem you might be having is the panel lines are too sharp of an edge which is making the white show through. If you take some sandpaper and just go along the edges of all the panel lines, you'll soften the corners up just enough so that the paint won't pull away from the edges.

dark color over light never works out youre also spraying too heavy if you mist a few coats yu have no problem

The other problem you might be having is the panel lines are too sharp of an edge which is making the white show through. If you take some sandpaper and just go along the edges of all the panel lines, you'll soften the corners up just enough so that the paint won't pull away from the edges.

Yep, and yep. Good advice.

For dark Colors I use gray for Blues and Greens,And Red Oxide for reds and earth tones like dark browns and everything in between, I would have gone with the gray, Now the Tamiya white works great for painting light colors like yellows, Tans and pale blues and greens also,I have found out that most of the time you can use the tamiya paints over bare plastic. I do it all the time,And have had only one issue where the kit was molded in the AMT Gray, And I tested a yellow they make,Well it wouldn't cover it after 5 mist coats,But that green you used I painted a 47 Crosley the same color and used Duplicolor sandable primer first, And had no issues. Just remmember white for you Light solid colors, Gray for you Metallics and darker colors, And the Red Oxide for your really dark colors and browns and blacks and other various dark colors. I hope this helps .

• 2 weeks later...

But you have to think about the why. The problem is putting paint on heavy enough that it gets together with itself and it flows away from the edge. The coats of paint need to be so thin that you think it will never cover. You need a lot of coats timed after flashing so the paint can't move.

You might be able to hide a lot of the problems with your cab using a Detailer type wash into the panel lines. I've had that work.

Edited by samdiego

But you have to think about the why. The problem is putting paint on heavy enough that it gets together with itself and it flows away from the edge. The coats of paint need to be so thin that you think it will never cover. You need a lot of coats timed after flashing so the paint can't move.

You might be able to hide a lot of the problems with your cab using a Detailer type wash into the panel lines. I've had that work.

A darker green detail wash sounds like it would be worth a try.