Model Cars Magazine Forum

larry's new outdoors vehicle

diymirage

well, lary really did it this time

after he spilled a can of stinkbait in ma's winnebago during thier last noodling trip they are no longer allowed to take ma's ride out anywhere

so now he needs something new to go camping, fishing or hunting with

off he went to local cardealers but nothing was withing his budget

at his wits end he consulted his brother daryl and his other brother darryl and between the 3 of them they found the anwser

old man johnson used to have a dodge dealership and he still had some old stock sitting in the backyard...there had got to be something usefull in there and low and behold, they found just what they was looking for....a dodge deora WITH a camper back that needed only a little TLC (motor, tranny, frame, glass, paintjob, wheels and some bodywork....but the radio works like a charm)

and this is where the rebuild will take place....more soon to come :)

Edited by diymirage

Hmmmmmm......

i know, its mean to start a WIP thread without pics but ive had this idea roll around my head for about a year now, ever since a seen this movie (cant remember the name of it) where there was a hunter who showed up in a pickemuptruck converted to mobile hunting camp and i just got this deora in on trade, i guess i got carried away :)

Oh no! :D Really, this looks like a fun project! That camper will be really unusual. And, I saw you're planning a diorama for it too ... cool! :)

That camper looks like it was MADE for the Deora ... was it really?

Edited by Foxer

thanks ian

that is exactly right :)

Oh no! :lol: Really, this looks like a fun project! That camper will be really unusual. And, I saw you're planning a diorama for it too ... cool! :D

That camper looks like it was MADE for the Deora ... was it really?

yes i am, i got a few little tricks up my sleeve im not willing to share yet ;)

the camper is made for the deora, you just cant tell because the body is primered but it is all part of the same kit ;)

as soon as i get the wheels figured out i can start building the interior

the guys hauled the deo home today and you wont beleive what they found

rusted out wheelwells :blink: in a dodge for crying out loud :)

and the bed wasnt all that great either so larry, daryl and his other brother darryl decided it was time for some cutting, grinding and welding

the entire bottom of the bed was removed and a new one was fabricated

while the boys where at it they also tubbed the wheel wells just in case they get their hands on a set of offroad tires (the best spots are always of the beaten paths)

since they had the welder out larry started making a roof rack for the camper and the boys drew up this here scetsh on how the interior will look

th_layout.jpg

i should be able to post some pictures tonight ;)

now, you see, this is where your back story falls flat. no redneck builder EVER sketches out a plan. even if the do, they never EVER stick to it!

rednecks ?

where did you get rednecks from ?

that hill Williams to you sir :)

and just to prove you right , i prolly wont stick to the drawing :lol:

anyways here is what ive got so far :

the new bed (i know, there is gaps in the picture but once i glue it in place it will be a nice clean fit)

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDAtMjAxMDEyMTgtMTcwNi5qcGc.jpg

and the roof rack for those ever so important supplies

th_utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDEtMjAxMDEyMTgtMTcwNy5qcGc.jpg

i had a wild hare and built a "space pickup" out of a deora... never liked how it turned out, so i re-did it as a littler red wagon. it's buried in packed boxes and i don't have pics... you're going to lift this one some i take it.... i was thinking about setting one down on a tank chassis.... now that Monogram has re-released the Patton m48, i just might DO that.

thanks guys

jim, i thought about building one as a car hauler but too many people done that already

you know...if your making two into one...i could use the glass B)

as for raising it up...i dont have the stock frame or any other underpinnings so im just gonna build it however it looks right

Eelco, I know I have the glass for the newer version (yellow plastic) but am not sure about glass for the older, beat up body. I'll have to look. Please remind me a in few days in case I forget.

i just so happen to be building the yellow version

(its hard to tell with the body allready in primer but i assure you it is)

anything you are looking for in return ?

• 5 months later...

now, you see, this is where your back story falls flat. no redneck builder EVER sketches out a plan. even if the do, they never EVER stick to it!

well, it seems im not sticking to the sketch

this kit has kinda fallen behind but i just got some great parts in on a trade for some decals

(in an unrelated trade i also got the glass in for the cab)

so, the table and seats will stay where they were in the sketch but the bed will be deleted

(im not going to build it into the model but if you've ever been in a travel trailer you know the table folds down into a bed)

im also going to chop off a little bit from the cab (making it come straight down rather then the smooth line it has right now)

hopefully this will give me a little more room for the kitchen section

if all goes well ill have some picture up before the weekend is over

well, the boys put in a full days worth of wrenching today

they managed to get thier hands on some nice interior parts from cousin mell's old mobile home, he lost it in the divorce and told the boys to take out everything they could before....well....i cant tell yall what he called the ex but long story short, he didnt want her to have none of it

so the boys took of with the seats (the table folds down to make it into a bed) the stove/oven and even the kitchen sink (just in case they take it out fishing)

heres the progress they made so far

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDctMjAxMTA1MjgtMjIyMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDgtMjAxMTA1MjgtMjIyMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDktMjAxMTA1MjgtMjIyMi5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTAtMjAxMTA1MjgtMjIyMi5qcGc.jpg

as you can tell, i chopped of the tail end of the interior tub and made a styrene divider between the cab and the bed

at first i was planning on installing the rear glass and just painting over it but this looks better (IMHO) since it leaves me with a sqaure wall and it frees up a few scale feet for the kitchen

i figured since im not bothering to put an engine in here i might aswell get rid of the hump to free up room for the sink)

the cabinet in the far corner of the kitchen was trimmed down quite a bit and i made a new top for it

i havent decided yet on how im going to build the back of the cabinet...or if im even going to)

i also did a little more work to the front end...pretty soon we'll be ready for paint, then all thats left will be rolling stock