Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '59 Ford Skyliner

imatt88

The '59 Retractable reissue is stock-only this time (it did include some custom parts in past issues), and is molded a bit better than older versions. The decals are very nice, too, except it still has the cheesy "Miami Vice" graphics. It's a pretty good kit- IF you take the care to get it together and working!

I just purchased this kit last week . I have not opened it yet, but I built one when it was reissued back in the mid 70's, when I was about 14 yrs old . it has a multi piece body but builds up real well. The retractable top worked real well for me even though I wasn't near the modeler I am now. The main thing is to make sure the body stays square during assembly, and everything should fit well. You can make it look as nice as Ed's model. In fact, I'm going to get another one for my stash, if I find a kit I like I usually keep two or three on hand!

I also built the "Skip's Fiesta" reissued version. No problems, the multi-part body is no big deal... don't let the naysayers scare you! It can be built just as easily as any otther kit, but you need to be careful to get the body panels lined up correctly and make sure your angles are correct. And the top mechanism is a bit delicate... I actually scrapped the kit parts and made new hinges out of paper clip wire. But that's not necessary, I just decided to do that. The kit parts work just fine, they're just fragile.

skyliner2.jpg

skyliner1.jpg

Very nice build Harry. I have begun fantacizing about converting the kit into a standard hardtop; I can see the trunk alone will be a project. I haven't begun to research the other differences such as the roof. Anyone do it? Too much work? Thoughts?

Beside the difference in the roof and trunk design, the rear quarters are longer.

I hunted down builtup AMT '59 Galaxies so I have a regular HT and convertible. One thing I've thought about doing w/ an extra Skyliner is making a phantom Starliner--mate the '60 Starliner roof to the '59 body and windshield.

Very nice build Harry. I have begun fantacizing about converting the kit into a standard hardtop; I can see the trunk alone will be a project. I haven't begun to research the other differences such as the roof. Anyone do it? Too much work? Thoughts?

A major project. Like Rob says, the trunk is much longer and the roof is shorter on the Skyliner (in order for the top to have room when it's stored). It would be a real challenge... but if you think you have the skills to pull it off, give it a shot! You have nothing to lose except a little plastic... :D

I just bought one. There are indications on the box art and insturctions that suggest this is actually a Fairlane... Is this possible?

"Galaxie" was the new Ford top-of-the-line model introduced early in the "59 model year, replacing "Fairlane 500". For a few months, the first '59 Skyliners were still badged as "Fairlane 500" but Ford switched to the "Galazie" name early on in the production run. Some of the cars had both "Galaxie" and "Fairlane 500" markings before the switchover was completed.

BTW: I don't know about the original issue or the new reissue, but the "Skip's Fiesta" version comes with two figures, a seated male driver and a female passenger.

This is a great old kit! It can be a challenging build; as I recall one needs to re-think the build sequence shown on the instructions to adapt to spraying the assembled body prior to final assembly.

Surprisingly, it has a high level of interchangeability with the original AMT annual kit, PMC promo wagons and Rancheros, and their resin derivatives, and it's worth having several on hand as parts kits if you plan on building several '59 Fords!

For as complex as it is it really wasn't that tough to build as long as you took your time and followed directions!

Mine built into a really nice model and when I used to have it out on display every week I would switch from top up to top down! I did mine in Coral and Black!

I'll post a picture if I can figure out what box it is packed in!:lol:

"Galaxie" was the new Ford top-of-the-line model introduced early in the "59 model year, replacing "Fairlane 500". For a few months, the first '59 Skyliners were still badged as "Fairlane 500" but Ford switched to the "Galazie" name early on in the production run. Some of the cars had both "Galaxie" and "Fairlane 500" markings before the switchover was completed.

BTW: I don't know about the original issue or the new reissue, but the "Skip's Fiesta" version comes with two figures, a seated male driver and a female passenger.

The RoG issue from a few years ago also has the figures..it's molded in a bright green. I have the '70s issue also, don't recall what color it's in (haven't built it). I read somewhere the new issue is molded in white. Anyone know when the original issue was issued?

The RoG issue from a few years ago also has the figures..it's molded in a bright green. I have the '70s issue also, don't recall what color it's in (haven't built it). I read somewhere the new issue is molded in white. Anyone know when the original issue was issued?

The Skip's Fiesta issue was molded in red. Just a guess here, but I assume the original issue came out about the same time as the real car.

The Skip's Fiesta issue was molded in red. Just a guess here, but I assume the original issue came out about the same time as the real car.

The Skip's Fiesta issue I built was kind of a salmon/terra cotta pinkish red. Left in that color, did it two tone w/ white roof and decklid and matching two-tone interior..turned out pretty nice.

Guest Markus355

Is this a stock only kit? i know its not advertised as a 2 or 3 in 1 but does it include any custom parts like grilles or bumpers like most of the other old reissues?

Not only are the quarters longer, but the trunk itself is a bit taller and boxier than on a Standard Ford. You could probably do a decent 'lookalike' of a Galaxie with this kit, but it would never be a 100% accurate representation.

True for '57-'58 Skyliner retractable convertibles. I'm pretty sure that the quarters of the '59 retractables are the same as all other '59 Fords. In the interests of cost-cutting '59 Fords across all model lines were on the same wheelbase, including the Skyliner retractable, and share much more sheet metal than comparable '57s and '58s.

While the Galaxie hardtops and sedans have a unique T-bird-style roof, they share their other sheet metal with the other '59s. Both the Fairlane and Fairlane 500 models were retained after the introduction of the Galaxie. Fairlane 500s look very similar to Galaxies except for their roof with wrap-around rear window, and slightly downgraded interior trim with a unique pattern. Adding to the confusion, all Galaxies carry Fairlane 500 badging on their decklids, technically making them Fairlane 500 Galaxies!

Revell's kit depicts a pre-Galaxie Fairlane 500 Skyliner. A later Galaxie Skyliner would be virtually identical except for "Galaxie" script on the quarters in place of "Fairlane 500."

Edited by John Goschke

Here's an old Skips Fiesta issue I built about 20 years ago, as a test subject before I built my 57 Conversion. It's painted with some Krylon Coral color, but the salman colored plastic is visible in the interior.

IMG_9096rt-vi.jpg

The wheels & tires were robbed from the 1970's issue. The original 1959 issue had plastic tires. The Skips issue used Monogram whitewalls with Fiesta spinner caps that were a wee out of scale. I think the new kit combines the stock wheel covers with the Monogram tires. If this thing looks pretty rough, it's because my pshycotic ex girlfriend smashed it about 15 years ago. And it was in my famous orange paint explosion....

IMG_9094rt-vi.jpg

Here's a little tidbit that will improve the looks of this kit, and also the Monogram 58 T Bird... get rid of the pinned headlight lenses, drill the holes out, a put reflectors behind the lenses. I made mine from the baby moon hubcaps in the AMT 56 Ford. I had to sand one side flat so they butted together tighter, and fit inside the fenders. That is one visible laying in front of the bumper...

IMG_9095rt-vi.jpg

Anyway, last year, when I was laid off for a while, I started redoing a bunch of my old builds, but I left them in their original paint for posterity... And out of general laziness and not wanting paint fumes in the house...

IMG_9098rt-vi.jpg

BTW, to answer a question, these were always one version kits. The optional parts were the figures.

IMG_9099rt-vi.jpg

So there's my take. A little worse for wear and tear, but back in one piece....

Edited by Dave Darby

I built one of these too years ago (sorry no pics), and like others have mentioned.........it can be built well using some patience and time.

I thought I had read somewhere that Ford styled its '59 line to accommodate specifically the Skyliner. Just as John mentioned, this was more than likely a cost cutting move as what was done at Chrysler with its '57's and what GM started to do with its '59 offerings.

Interesting that Ford only hung on to this body style for one model year just like GM did with its '58's........no doubt trying to catch up with Chrysler as the entire Ford line for '60 were totally different cars!

Edited by MrObsessive

I thought I had read somewhere that Ford styled its '59 line to accommodate specifically the Skyliner. Just as John mentioned, this was more than likely a cost cutting move as what was done at Chrysler with it's '57's and what GM started to do with its '59 offerings.

Interesting that Ford only hung on to this body style for one model year just like GM did with its '58's........no doubt trying to catch up with Chrysler as the entire Ford line for '60 were totally different cars!

Right, Bill. Getting a little off-topic from the kit in question, but it's interesting to note that the increased standardization across the Ford line for '59 (and reduced model offerings in the Mercury line for '59-'60) was part of a program lead at FoMoCo by future defense secretary, and corporate bean-counter extraordinaire, Robert McNamara to increase engineering and tooling sharing across the divisions and eliminate duplication. Another result of this cost-cutting was the elimination of the Edsel and the '61 Mercuries once again being "glorified Fords," rather than unique products as in '57 thru'60. While the '60 Fords were radically restyled, if you look at the chassis in comparison with the '57-'59 Fairlane and Galaxie, you'll see considerable similarity.

John,

It may be a little off topic, but its still interesting stuff.

In hindsight, we can see how the corprorate minds were thinking about standardization, what works and what didn't(i.e. Edsels), etc..etc..

All in all, I'm still going to add the kit to my stash :huh:

Cheers, Ian

Right, Bill. Getting a little off-topic from the kit in question, but it's interesting to note that the increased standardization across the Ford line for '59 (and reduced model offerings in the Mercury line for '59-'60) was part of a program lead at FoMoCo by future defense secretary, and corporate bean-counter extraordinaire, Robert McNamara to increase engineering and tooling sharing across the divisions and eliminate duplication. Another result of this cost-cutting was the elimination of the Edsel and the '61 Mercuries once again being "glorified Fords," rather than unique products as in '57 thru'60. While the '60 Fords were radically restyled, if you look at the chassis in comparison with the '57-'59 Fairlane and Galaxie, you'll see considerable similarity.

And they ran that chassis right up through 1964.

• 5 months later...

I just got the kit today and will be replicating my mates galaxie he had imported to australia. Getting a start on it today and will be converting to a hard top. He has a subwoofer in the trunk too so this will be fun to source!