Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fallen Flag IH with trailers finished!

Finished this IH COE this evening. System 99 was an LTL carrier based in Oakland, CA. I remember seeing them a lot as a kid on Highway 99 through the Central Valley. The inspiration for this model came from a picture on Hank's Truck Pictures and from Lance Gregory's CF model.

I used an Ertl International Transtar II Eagle kit. The frame was cut down and I used a rear axle and suspension from a Ford Louisville kit. The wheels are Ben Wicker two hole Budds. Air deflector was from the parts box and was modified slightly. Front bumper was seperated from the grille, then cut down. The cab hoist was removed from the battery box and relocated to behind the cab. Battery box was moved rearward and steps were added. Marker lights were also from the Ford and the horn from the parts box. The modified pintle hitch, gladhands, electrical conector, hubometer, and battery box latch are all detail items from Plaskit. Chain hangars, and a few other detils were made from styrene parts. Colors are Dupli-Color Cherry Red over Dupli-Color Red Sandable Primer. The Detroit is Alpine Green and the air deflector gloss White from Dupli-Color. The decals are from images printed off the computer and dry rub letters and numbers. Several paints and artist pastels were used for weathering.

060.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

Edited by Paul B

• 1 month later...

And how do you make the chains? I'm hoping to add a set to my Garrett Freight International 4300 whenever I get around to building it. And I'll probably need to make a set if I ever do a Carlile T800.

Jim, sorry for the slow reply. Here is a photo I snapped with my phone while I was making the first set. The chain is from JoAnn's fabrics, craft section. The 34 guage wire I used to tie the cross links together can be found in the same section. I then painted them with Tesors Burnt Umber, Dullcote, and dusted with pastels while the paint was still wet.

phonepics025.jpg

• 5 months later...

Wow! All I can say is I'M BLOWN AWAY! This weathering and realism does not get much better than this here. :lol:

Paul, there is so much detail in there, it's like looking at the real thing. Your trailers are up to the quality of this truck as well. It takes some guts to modify a model as rare as this Transtar II! Great job. Inspiration for me, I tell ya! By the way thanks for the compliments on the yellow and black Robert Volvo! :D

Wow! All I can say is I'M BLOWN AWAY! This weathering and realism does not get much better than this here. :D

Paul, there is so much detail in there, it's like looking at the real thing. Your trailers are up to the quality of this truck as well. It takes some guts to modify a model as rare as this Transtar II! Great job. Inspiration for me, I tell ya! By the way thanks for the compliments on the yellow and black Robert Volvo! ;)

Thanks Bob. Not really guts, just practice. The modifications on the tractor and the trailrs are fairly simple. No complex reworking of the cab or body. By the quality of work on your Volvo, you are well on your way.