Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are you a "scale snob?"

I'm not sure why, but I refuse to build anything that's 1:24, I only want 1:25. Maybe it's because I want them all to be proportionate in the shelf, or maybe I'm just weird (clearly). I just feel like the 1:24 (mostly older RM kits) are too toyish or something.

Does anyone else share my sickness?

Yes, I have to agree, although I will build 1/25 and 1/24 kits, buty I will try to keep them separated. I prefer 1/25th. You know people see the "4" and the "5" I think whats the difference? And its really noticeable when You compare the same car in the two different scales. Or when a 1/24 vette is almost as big as a 1/25th impala. Of course a lot of the old AMT kits were 1/25th but out of scale, since the had to fit those promo boxes back then.

Edited by kingiguana

I am. I've been building 25th scale since I started. I DO OCCASIONALLY buy 24th scale, but ONLY if the models available in NO other scale. The 70 Buicl GSX is a good example. I got TWO of them, but since they are the wrong scale, they become parts cars for the two 25th scale 70 GSX Buicks i got from R&R and Steve Kohler, overt Star Models!!!! They's gonna get their drive train, and decals!B):)B)

My daughter gave me the Revell Balwin/Motion '70 Chevelle kit. The box said it scaled to 1:24

While building the kit I bought the Revell "heavy Chevy" '70 Chevelle kit. The box said it scaled to 1:25

Both body and chassis were the same mould, same scale!

Heck, I build anything and everything in all scales. I don't want to limit myself only to what's available in one certain scale. I've built everything from 1/72 WWI aircraft up through the 1/4 scale Dodge HEMI engine and all scales in between.

As far as cars go... if I like the subject I buy the kit, no matter what scale it is (although I prefer larger scales).

Scale snob here! But, not between 1/24 and 1/25. Those two scales can be placed side by side as far as I am concerned. It's the small stuff... 1/32 or smaller, and large scale... 1/20 or larger, that just don't fit in with my display. Some day, I want to try the other scales, as long as I can park them away somewhere else.

I prefer to stay to 1/24-25, and yes, I'll display them next to each other, as in many cases, the actual differences aren't really that great (1/32")

Remember, 1/25=15/32":1'0" (0.46875":1'0".)and 1/24=1/2":1'0" (0.50":1'0".)I do prefer 1/25 though, as that's what most of my models are.

I do like a lot of the subjects in 1/32, though, and buy them as I wish, and wish for 1/25 models to be released.

I also buy HO for my trains or if something really unique is available.

Charlie Larkin

Yes and no, I do stick with specific scales for the different types of models I build, 1:24/1:25 for cars, 1:35 (and occasionally 1:72) for armor, and 1:72 for aircraft (1:144 for the really big stuff), but I don't worry too much about exact scales as long as they are fairly close.

I don't have anything against the large scale stuff, but simply don't have the room for them. If there was somethig that really got me excited in a large scale kit, I'd probably do one, but so far there is nothing offered I'd really like to get into that much detail on.

Edited by Aaronw

No scale bigotry here! I am very kum-bi-ya with the polymers. B) If a model is cool - it is cool. I personally don't to build big scales - they are too much work except for motorcycles. I have built 1/9 through 1/87, although 90% of what I build is 1/24-25.

The difference between the two is 4%....if the models are accurate. B) There are way too many examples of models being listed as a certain scale and they are way off. It usually only matters if you doing a row of the same basic car.

I'm not sure why, but I refuse to build anything that's 1:24, I only want 1:25. Maybe it's because I want them all to be proportionate in the shelf, or maybe I'm just weird (clearly). I just feel like the 1:24 (mostly older RM kits) are too toyish or something.

Does anyone else share my sickness?

I didn't know there was a noticeable difference. Or, who cares?

Edited by Groucho

I guess I qualify as I really prefer 1/25 ... but only because my first kit, a 1958 AMT, was that. I do have some 1/24 because of subject matter, but I don't like it! B) Subject matter WILL get me to purchase other scales as I have a 1/87 Citroen Traction Advant and that 1/32 TR4 that both the Count and I had and that we'll both build ... some day. :)