Model Cars Magazine Forum

HMS Prince of Wales Battleship

Brief History:

HMS Prince of Wales was a King George V-class battleship of the Royal Navy, built at the Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead, England. The Prince of Wales had a brief but active career, helping to stop the Bismarck and carrying Churchill to the Newfoundland Conference; however her loss to Japanese land-based bombers in the Far East in 1941 is one of the events that led to the end of the battleship being considered the predominant class in naval warfare.

Model Kit: Tamiya Kit # 78011

Scale: 1/350

Model Box:

TAM78011.jpg

Prince_of_Wales-01a-m.JPG

Prince_of_Wales-03a-m.JPG

Prince_of_Wales-04-m.JPG

Prince_of_Wales-08b-m.JPG

Prince_of_Wales-08c-m.JPG

Looks like a nice build - well done. Her ending and that of HMS Repulse at the same time is a sad and tragic story... Having been on the USS Missouri a number of years ago when she was berthed at Bremerton, WA., I can attest to the sheer size of such a ship. To describe it to someone who has never seen one is pretty much impossible because it's hard to imagine just how huge those things are. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to complete the build? It looks like a labour of love... :)B):D

Looks like a nice build - well done. Her ending and that of HMS Repulse at the same time is a sad and tragic story... Having been on the USS Missouri a number of years ago when she was berthed at Bremerton, WA., I can attest to the sheer size of such a ship. To describe it to someone who has never seen one is pretty much impossible because it's hard to imagine just how huge those things are. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to complete the build? It looks like a labour of love... :):P:huh:

I've been on the USS Missouri's sister ship the USS New Jersey. I agree, there's no words that can describe the size of these ships to someone that has never seen one in person.

I don't mind at all... This build took me about two months to complete. I was painting and detailing the ship as I built. So there's a few parts that no one would ever see, but as least I know that it's there. The Camo was all painted by hand. No Airbrush or masking.

Yeah, I'm very happy on how she came out looking. :D

Those photos bring back memories.. We had a bunch of photos that we took when we were on her - one of my wife standing in front of the forward turret.. That ship is truly a thing of beauty, the likes of which we will never see again in this overly high tech world. She has a "don't screw with me" look and attitude and she makes a better friend than an enemy. They ougt to fire her upo again, sail her back over to the Middle East and just cut her loose and show 'em good ol' American firepower! She sure straightened that wingnut Ghadaffi ( or is it GaDaffy? ;) )out in a hurry, didn't she? :D:D Like that old song says, "She's got what it takes!". :D:D:D

Edited by impcon