Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1968 Pontiac GTO hardtop

With the current thread on rare models, this one ranks right up there. It started as an MPC 1968 GTO funny car (promo style) body that probably makes it even more rare. I got it on Ebay and it was built curbside back in the day with a 1967 GTO chassis and interior. I have opened the hood and added a windshield cowl. Also removed most of the emblems, rocker panel and wheel well moldings. Most emblems will be replaced with decals and or photoetch.

DSCN0548-vi.jpg

Opened up the hood scoops for functional Ram Air.

DSCN0562-vi.jpg

I'll be using the guts of an AMT exMPC 1972 GTO with a resin cast 1968 GTO instrument panel. Paint will be Scale Finishes Verdoro Green. Rolling stock and powertrain to be determined. This is a theme build for the Arkansas Model Championship in April 2011.

Enjoy!!!

Sweet...I love the MPCs of that era...I got a nicely builtup one off ebay maybe 10 years ago, dark blue with a white vinyl top and a '72 interior/chassis/engine. From the same seller I also got a builtup '69, lt green w/out an opening hood.

I have a gluebomb '68 convertible to restore eventually.

If hadn't been for you and Steve(Millbury?), I'da NEVER known that the 68 GTO had a different dash than the 69! You told me the difference, and i BELIEVE it was you or Steve that sent me an extra cast resin version of the original dash! MUCHAS GRACIAS!!! I found another 68 on the bay an picked it up, an darned if you weren't right! the dash WAS different! I'll keep an eye on this one Marc, you got a REAL knack for bringin these lil rascals back to their original glory!!!!!:blink::D:lol:;)

Edited by george 53

I like where this is going, i have the 68 and 69 kits in convertible form but i don't feel i have the skill to build them how i would like,for the chassis are you going to use a 69'olds as it's more accurate than the 72'gto chassis?

The accuracy or lack thereof does not bother me. I'm going with the 1972 chassis but while it is the same, I also have an original 1968 chassis at my disposal.

Hello there friend! Yikes whata cool project! In my lil ole humble opinion this year model of the GTO has the best front and rear clip throughout 1 and 2 gen's! As always Marc' keep on wit the keepin on! Will be 'outta the ball park' project when done!

peace'

Tito

Ian, I don't know of ANYONE who casts one. It was one of my very first questions I asked when I first joined here, and the guys told me the difference, then , like I said, Either Marc, Or Steve, I'm sorry, I don't remember which, sent me a spare resin dash he had cast for himself. i never knew there were different dashes for those years, but they were right.:lol:B):D