Model Cars Magazine Forum

mid engine corvette Finished 9/28

customsrus

Looks good. Maybe someone from GM is watching...LOL I can't figure out why Chevrolet isn't doing something like this. They already have a transmission/transaxle that would work. Remember, the Vette has the transmission between the rear wheels already...Change the bellhousing and you can bolt the engine right to it. Anyway, back to your model. I love the layout, lines, and shape. If Chevy builds one, they should copy your design.

Frank

Well, I am an engineer for GM; although I work in Interior Trim. Every Corvette since 1963 started out as a mid-engine variant. The issue has always been to try and create a midi, while still keeping the cost down to maintain the current customer base. The performance to cost ratio on the Vette is unmatched, (affordable performance) and GM has never shown an interest in creating a Ferarri or Lambi. Yes, GM could create a midi, BUT, the structural requirements, validation, and marketing risk is just something the company has consistently shied away from... Your concept car looks very much like what you could expect if GM were to ever create such a vehicle. I wouldn't really know for sure since GM's Design Department keeps a really tight box around Corvette's development - especially styling. By the way, we are working on the next generation Vette as we speak! It too started out as a midi...

Nice Job on your concept car! Very Cool!

Ken

This thing is bad ass, looks 10x better then the black photo. I love the wheels on there, I even like the know back window. Nice work can't Wait to see it finished.

Thanks The wheels are off the new Camaro. It will have the back glass in it.

Well, I am an engineer for GM; although I work in Interior Trim. Every Corvette since 1963 started out as a mid-engine variant. The issue has always been to try and create a midi, while still keeping the cost down to maintain the current customer base. The performance to cost ratio on the Vette is unmatched, (affordable performance) and GM has never shown an interest in creating a Ferarri or Lambi. Yes, GM could create a midi, BUT, the structural requirements, validation, and marketing risk is just something the company has consistently shied away from... Your concept car looks very much like what you could expect if GM were to ever create such a vehicle. I wouldn't really know for sure since GM's Design Department keeps a really tight box around Corvette's development - especially styling. By the way, we are working on the next generation Vette as we speak! It too started out as a midi...

Ken

Thanks Ken, maybe you can sneak a peek at the new Corvette and give us all a heads up.LOL

That's some very interesting info on the design evolutions of the C3 and up Corvettes-------something I've never heard before. I just hope the next Gen 'Vette gets away from that too flat/cut off rear end, and brings back some "swoop". :)

John your concept is looking mighty nice! For some reason, the back end of yours seems more suited to your concept than the 1:1. Maybe it's the extra length that helps?

• 2 weeks later...

Not much done but I did get to do some work to the rear bumper. Bumper was looking to plain so I added some rear heat diffusers and the c-5 corvette script off of the rear bumper.Also added some bracing to the chassis

IMG_0722-vi.jpgIMG_0724-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

Ken

Very interesting, Ken. A perspective we aren't often privvy to. Thanks for posting!

:wacko:

• 5 weeks later...

Got a little done over the last few days. Added some details to the bottom of the frame. Painted the frame with some Tamiya Gunmetal. Finished up the fuel tank with some carbon fiber decals. Installed the suspension. And modified a couple of intake tubing and filters. Thanks.

IMG_0776-vi.jpgIMG_0779-vi.jpg

IMG_0787-vi.jpgIMG_0788-vi.jpg

Intake tubing and filters, which one looks better to you guys. Air ducts made from electrical wire with phone wire wrapped around. May wrap some thin strips of tape before being painted.

IMG_0790-vi.jpgIMG_0792-vi.jpg

This is the air inlet in the rear hatch.

IMG_0794-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

Made a engine cover out of sheet plastic, added inner structure to cover (forgot to take a picture). Cover will have clear plastic window attached from the underside. Also made a heat diffuser (vent) out of an old hood scoop. Cut back window to allow for vent. Will have to shape back glass for a better fit, and I will also have to shape the vent.

IMG_0796-vi.jpgIMG_0798-vi.jpg

IMG_0799-vi.jpgIMG_0801-vi.jpg

Edited by customsrus

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did not finished this as planned this weekend, but did manage to get something done on it. Chassis is now 99% complete just need to touch up some paint (hopefully thats all). The air ducts will be added after the body is mounted to the frame.If you look close you can see fuel lines have been added, also made a wiring harness and ran some vacuum lines, and ran cooling lines to the transmission cooler and the oil cooler.. As always comments are welcomed.

IMG_0818-vi.jpgIMG_0819-vi.jpg

IMG_0820-vi.jpg

John, what an interesting and well done build. For Color given the engine compartment I see it in Metallic Gun Metal Grey, with the Wheels Satin Black.

Crazy Ed

Thanks for the comments. I was kinda looking at colors similar to this early build of mind. I thougt it might make it look a little more classy. But the stealthy look might work.

IMG_0120-vi.jpgIMG_0122-vi.jpg